PDA

View Full Version : Jet Asian VS. Delta/Powermatic OWWM shapers

Chris Hachet
12-18-2019, 11:50 AM
I own one vintage Delta HD shaper (similar to Unisaw) and love it. Thinking of adding a second shaper to my work shop.

Most of my work shop is OWWM type tools. (Okay, hollow chisel morticer and Mitre saw are Asian...)

Was thinking vintage Powermatic or Delta for second shaper, but friend of friend is unloading two Jet shapers at give away prices. The catch....not in great shape, unheated storage for several years, one unit had leak over it, thinking of taking two units and making one good one.

What is your vote, spend more, go OWWM, or try to rebuild/work with JET shapers?

How is Jet/Powermatic for replacement parts...and how many JET shaper parts are direct interchange with Grizzly?

Anyone own a JET shaper and is happy with it?

Chris

Mike Kees
12-18-2019, 1:26 PM
What size are the jet shapers ? What kind of work do you want to do with them ? My guess is that a Jet three horsepower is going to be about the same as the Delta you already own. I would not buy another machine the same size unless you have a specific need for it. I would go bigger,like 5h.p. minimum and a 1 1/4'' spindle. I work for a living in my shop and have quickly out grown the 3 h.p. shaper I started out with.

Brian Holcombe
12-18-2019, 2:18 PM
Die Deutsches holz maschinen?

Jared Sankovich
12-18-2019, 2:29 PM
Unless it was one of the bigger 5hp models its going to be at best the equivalent of a delta hd or pm26/27

TWSS 5hp.