PDA

View Full Version : Winter Paradise

John Bailey
12-19-2005, 3:38 PM
Winter has officially come to Northern Michigan. That's the day we have enough snow to do some back-country skiing. I know some of you in the southern climes have a hard time thinking in terms of this type climate being a paradise, so I thought I would show you some pictures of why I like it so much. I went skiing with my dog and took some pictures today. This set of pictures are of the trail we go down when we go out for a short ski, pretty much on a daily basis. I'll follow-up in another post with more pictures.

John

John Bailey
12-19-2005, 3:40 PM
The next pictures are of our sauna. It's next to the year-round creek down in our cedar swamp. It's one of my favourite places, especially in the winter.

I hope you've enjoyed my little tour and seen some of the beauty that I see in the North.

John

Vaughn McMillan
12-19-2005, 5:47 PM
I'm a sunbelt kid born and raised, but I envy your surroundings. Growing up in New Mexico and spending quite a bit of time in the mountains exposed me to the fun of show country. Too bad LOML doesn't like the cold, 'cause I could picture myself living in a place that actually gets weather for a change.

- Vaughn

Lee DeRaud
12-19-2005, 7:29 PM
All this is just reminding me why, when I got out of school after six Colorado winters, I took the job here in Anaheim instead of the one in Hartford, Conn.:cool:

(Not to mention that I would have had to learn to spell "Connecticutt".)

Andy Hoyt
12-19-2005, 7:54 PM
John - Sure looks absitively beautiful. I'm jealous, but we've been having a wee bit o' weather too. If you look really closely (top, middle) you can see my daughter.

Now, While I have your attention. You guys need to get into the Uniform of the Season. Here ya go.

27827 27828

John - Yours has been sitting here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27837)all day waiting for you.

John Bailey
12-19-2005, 8:15 PM
Hey Andy,

I thought you did me already. What do I have to do to get my hat on?

John

Andy Hoyt
12-19-2005, 8:23 PM
John - Go here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27837).
Scroll through the thread to find your new photo and right click on it to save to your computer in a known location.
Go to your SMC User CP and click Edit Avatar.
Lower right section click on browse and surf to the file you just saved (If you did not rename it should be called John B).
Click on Open.
Click on Save Changes.
Ta Da!

John Bailey
12-19-2005, 9:00 PM
Cool hat, but where'd my face go. Not that anyone wants to see it, so help this ner'-do-well find his face.

John

Frank Chaffee
12-19-2005, 9:52 PM
Wow John,
Looks like you enjoy the best of both summer and winter.
Frank

Ken Fitzgerald
12-19-2005, 10:07 PM
John.......you truly live in a beautiful place! Living here in Idaho I can see similar scenery and it's one of the benefits of such a lifestyle! I love the snow, skiid until I broke my back....snowshoe.......Love to hike in the stuff! Nothing like hiking in the snow with a friend....cut your own track....see the bear tracks on top of your earlier tracks...........had that same thing happen once while elk hunting and I wasn't with a friend at the time...the bear was sidling around the mountain at a particular elevation...it cut my tracks....followed them down hill for about 25 yards and then continued on around the mountain.

About your sauna.....you don't sauna and then jump in that creek do you? Please tell me you don't!

John Bailey
12-20-2005, 7:05 AM
Ken,

Let's just say it's been done, but not by me in the winter. My wife has taken the plunge, and we have friends who are crazy enough, but not me. I've always wanted to go to Idaho, maybe we'll make it out there some day.

Thanks for the kind words.

John

Dennis Peacock
12-20-2005, 10:56 AM
Born in Panama City, Florida....Raised in Union Grove, AL, worked in Huntsville, AL, moved to Conway, Arkansas......Snow is rare.....but I sure do LOVE being in it and driving in it. :D :D :D
I learned how to drive in snow and ice while stationed in Europe. I always wish for a nice winter storm to help me have a little fun.:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Lee DeRaud
12-20-2005, 10:59 AM
Now, While I have your attention. You guys need to get into the Uniform of the Season. Here ya go.Oh great, just when I was finally getting in touch with my "inner grinch"...

Happy now?:p

Jerry Olexa
12-20-2005, 4:35 PM
John What a great place and terrific pictures. I also love the outdoors and hiking, XC sking, etc, Altho we now live on the other side of the lake (NW Illinois), northern Michigan has always been one of our favorite haunts. We've spent many vacations up there around Charlevoix, Tr City, Harbor Springs, Sleeping Bear etc. Beautiful country. Now we have to go around lake through Gary/Hammond or take ferry. Its a much longer trip. Have a great hoiliday in your enviable neck of the woods..

Steven Wilson
12-20-2005, 4:47 PM
Nice photo's. I spent some time in Minnesota as a kid and always enjoyed the winters. I spent time in So Cal, Houston, and Saudi Arabia and always missed the snow, it was great to get back to Minnesota. My wife, who's from Thailand, now likes the winter and my kids enjoy getting out and sledding, skating, or ice fishing. Tonight we're going out after dinner and watch folk's ski jump, my son (8) is thinking he might want to give ski jumping a try; sounds fun!

Dan Larson
12-20-2005, 8:13 PM
Beautiful place you've got there, John. Sometimes living in the frozen north can be a drag, but your pictures catch the essence of how great it can be, too! Taking a daily XC ski outing would be a real dream for me. Instead I'm usually stuck on the stupid treadmill in the basement during the winter months.

Tom Hamilton
12-20-2005, 8:20 PM
Hi John: What a beautiful setting. You can imagine the contrast to those of us in the southern climes, I picked oranges off the back yard tree this AM for breakfast. :rolleyes:

Don't think I want to trade with you but glad to see you pics.

Merry Christmas, Tom