PDA

View Full Version : Truck suggestions

Scott Kilroy
12-17-2019, 9:50 PM
I'll make this short and sweet. I'm looking at mid size trucks and I'm unsure what to get. The options are:
Chevy Colorado
Ford Ranger
Toyota Tacoma

All things being equal I'd like to at least try buying American however I've owned two GM's (cars) that were trash and a good friend had a ford focus that was nothing but trouble. I'd love to hear form some Chevy or Ford owners about reliability.

Thanks in advance.

roger wiegand
12-17-2019, 10:06 PM
I have an older F350 diesel which has been great, and a Ford C-max hybrid which has been surprisingly good given the reviews. (It's been recalled multiple times for computer reprogramming, but no actual problems) I think Chevy trucks are better than their cars. I told both of my kids to buy Toyota because they can't afford repairs. How's that for taking all sides of the question?

FWIW, I drive a Mini Cooper, which needs fixing all the time, but is a ton of fun to drive.

Rick Potter
12-17-2019, 10:12 PM
Motor Trend magazine just wrote that among mid size trucks, they would recommend the base model Ford Ranger, as being best bang for the buck. I imagine you can find the on line article, it came in the E-mail to me.

Don Coffman
12-18-2019, 9:14 AM
On my second GMC first a Sierra, now a Canyon 4WD Extended Cab, I remain a GM customer.

Robert Engel
12-18-2019, 9:31 AM
I've owned Chevy's and Fords. The only one that was a bomb was an '85Chevy Diesel. A '97 Silverado was a great truck, too.

Currently I have a '97Ford F250 Diesel Powerstroke I can't imagine selling.
I also have an '06 F150 that has 200K on it 5.4L Triton horrible gas mileage but by far the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned of any type -truck, suv or car.

IMO recommendations don't mean much because any of those vehicles you're looking at would be good, or could have problems it really boils down to an individual vehicle, not a brand. Many parts like engines are made overseas most vehicles are just assembled in USA, including Toyota, Honda.

If you're looking at used, I recommend buying from a dealer & avoid the used car lots and Craigslist.

Considering the difference in price, maintenance, mileage if cargo/hauling capacity is a factor, I would go with a full size truck.

George Bokros
12-18-2019, 9:31 AM
I have a Ranger 2011 and a Ford Fusion 2014, and many Ford vehicles in the past and rate them very high. Quality, reliability and quality cannot be beat.

Bill Dufour
12-18-2019, 9:32 AM
Ford ranger is not an American style truck. It is designed for Africa and Australasia with poor roads and multi ton loads. It will not have a comfy paved road ride.
Probably better served by a F150 which is only about 15% bigger. The "New" ranger is about 10 years old and will be replaced in a year or two.

Art Mann
12-18-2019, 9:40 AM
I like the Nissan Frontier. I drive a Ram 1500 because the Frontier I sold was not big enough to pull a travel trailer. Otherwise, it was an excellent product. I just don't think the quality of any US brand small truck will measure up to the Japanese offerings.

jared herbert
12-18-2019, 9:40 AM
In our area a Ford F-150-new- doesn’t really cost much more than the new Ford ranger and you are getting way more vehicle. A tried and proven engine, drive train etc. I have a 15 and an 18 and have had 0 problems with them. I don’t think the fuel economy is appreciably better for the ranger either. I looked at both and it was an easy decision to get the 150

Mark Carlson
12-18-2019, 9:43 AM
I got my tacoma in 2003. Not one mechanical issue and still runs great. Just tires, oil changes, brakes, and batteries. My choice would be toyota, ford then chevy. Ford would be my choice if you want to buy american.

Matt Schrum
12-18-2019, 9:53 AM
My wife has a 2008 Tacoma she has not been particularly nice to and it has held up fantastically well with virtually zero mechanical issues. So well in fact that I'm a convert. Between the abuse she's given that truck and the abuse I saw the Hilux's (Tacoma's cousin) get during my time in the Middle East-- and they still ran great-- I plan on our next vehicle being their Tacoma or 4Runner.

Adam Herman
12-18-2019, 10:36 AM
the taco is a very old design, and gets worse mpg for less power.

i have had several GM trucks, and never any issues to note. my office mate has a f-250 that has been in the shop as much as on the road in the year he has owned it. My company switched to GM from Ford for our work trucks over the last couple years, of which we have several thousand, 1/2, 3/4 and 1 tons. our maintenance cost has plummeted.

Tacoma and hilux are distant cousins at best. if i could buy a new 70 series with the d4d, i would have one. I drove the hilux's and new 70 series when i worked in Aus.

Matt Schrum
12-18-2019, 10:45 AM
the taco is a very old design, and gets worse mpg for less power.

That's fair. Her Tacoma gets the same (if not a smidge worse) gas mileage than my (newer) full sized Ram 1500 with an 8' bed. Toyota trucks are known for being overdesigned and not over powered. I'm hoping that by the time we're on the market for a new vehicle that Toyota has closed the fuel economy gap a bit between their truck and others.

Stan Calow
12-18-2019, 11:05 AM
Is this vehicle mostly for work & hauling, or is it a daily around town driver? If the latter, I'd check out the Honda Ridgeline. Its as much "North American" as the three you mentioned. Of those three, I'd go with the Tacoma. I had one once and it was a good truck, with all the drawbacks already mentioned. My son had a Ranger, and it rattled and rusted its way to an early grave. Colorado doesn't get good ratings in Consumer Reports, or any other car magazine/website, if you give their reviews attention.

Scott Kilroy
12-18-2019, 11:22 AM
Thanks to everyone for your insight. Looks like I have to do a little more research.

Mark Daily
12-18-2019, 11:34 AM
After a lifetime of Ford F-150’s, I bought a Toyota Tundra crew cab in 2010. It’s been an excellent truck, every bit as good as a Ford and is built in the U.S.A. The 5.7L V8 has plenty of power but gas mileage is only 16 in town and on the road. :mad: It has never needed anything but routine maintenance. My wife has been driving Camry’s since 2007 with the same excellent reliability.

I expect the Tacoma will be just as reliable.

(My last F-150 was breaking down so often I decided to try Toyota.)

Brice Rogers
12-18-2019, 12:17 PM
I owned a 2017 Colorado and now have a 2019 Colorado. The Ranger is interesting but its only engine option is the 2.3 L four-cylinder. The Colorado can be equipped with a 3.6 L six. The Colorado V6 gets at least 15% more HP, has no turbo lag and you aren't beating the heck out of it (like you may with the little 4 cyl) when you put a load into it. I get decent mileage. On the 2017 over 17K miles I averaged 22.5 mpg. But I drive like an old man. In 2021 or 2022, I think that the Colorado is getting a make-over.

Scott Kilroy
12-18-2019, 12:20 PM
Thanks I'll take a look at the Ridgeline.

Lisa Starr
12-18-2019, 1:34 PM
We're sold on Chevy trucks, but not cars. My husband has driven three 3/4 ton (2500) trucks in a row for his work vehicle and they've held up great with minimal trouble. I also had a 3/4 ton Silverado with which a towed a large gooseneck horse trailer for years. I got out of horses, sold the truck which was 12 years old with 178,000 miles for $7500.00. The only thing other than maintenance items I had done to it was a exhaust mainfold gasket. We have friends in the construction trades that have switched to Chevy/GMC trucks after their Fords cost them a fortune to keep on the road past year 3.

Jeff Monson
12-18-2019, 2:21 PM
Look at the resale on the 3 you are looking at, the Tacoma has always had great resale value. I think in the long run (if you plan to drive it for 15 years) the Tacoma will be the least expensive to maintain and repair. Thats just my opinion.

Bill Dufour
12-18-2019, 4:41 PM
In our area a Ford F-150-new- doesn’t really cost much more than the new Ford ranger and you are getting way more vehicle. A tried and proven engine, drive train etc. I have a 15 and an 18 and have had 0 problems with them. I don’t think the fuel economy is appreciably better for the ranger either. I looked at both and it was an easy decision to get the 150

The ranger is really designed to haul a lot of weight on poor roads with a diesel. The gas engine is an afterthought for USA customers. Ford no longer makes cars so they do not have a good range of gas engines and transmissions for the ranger.
Bill D

Tom M King
12-18-2019, 4:50 PM
Test drive them all, and get the one you like best. My current truck is a diesel/dually that I bought new in Nov. 2000. #28 off the assembly line the first year of the Duramax/Allison. 334,000 miles, the last time I looked.

My preference is the GM independent front suspension, that drives like a car on the road, because the vast majority of my driving is on the road. I don't know if those same differences transfer down to the smaller trucks.

I've worn out some of all of them. I always test drive before I decide.

Mike Kreinhop
12-18-2019, 5:49 PM
Last year I replaced my 2003 Ford Ranger Edge with a 2018 (2019 model year) Ford Ranger Wildtrak. In 2011, Ford stopped the Ranger production in the U.S., but the rest of the world continued. My Wildtrak was made in South Africa and has the 3.2L 5-cylinder diesel (200HP) motor, a 6-speed automatic transmission, and the extended cab, not the crew cab. It took me a while to find a stocking dealer who has the truck I wanted, because the 4-door version is most common version. I wanted the F150 or Dodge Ram, both of which are available here, but neither would fit in my garage and they are available only in the 4-door version. The Wildtrak just fits with about five inches to spare in the front and back, and just enough room on the side so my wife can park her car.

There is very little comparison between the Edge and the Wildtrak. Contrary to other comments, the Wildtrak is just as comfortable as any car I've owned and has power to spare on the Autobahn at 160KPH. The Edge was not quiet or comfortable at any speed, but smoothed out a bit when loaded with ten full sheets of 19mm plywood.

The Wildtrak was designed by the Australians for the outback, and they hit a home run with it. The new U.S. version, the Raptor, is also available here this year, but buyers are not limited to the 2.3L Ecoboost motor and 10-speed automatic transmission.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49238719587_4399262947_z.jpg

Brian Tymchak
12-18-2019, 5:58 PM
I got my tacoma in 2003. Not one mechanical issue and still runs great. Just tires, oil changes, brakes, and batteries. My choice would be toyota, ford then chevy. Ford would be my choice if you want to buy american.

Toyota Tacoma and Tundra are both very close in "% made in America" with Ford. BTW I agree with your call on Toyota. I own an 18 year old Tundra. Only 2 recalls on it over its life. Only major mechanical failure has been a hydraulic steering rack 3 years ago which I learned later was a fairly typical lifespan. Needless to say, I'm shopping for another Tundra.

Scott Kilroy
12-18-2019, 6:40 PM
The Ranger is interesting but its only engine option is the 2.3 L four-cylinder..

Well that rules the ranger out!

Bryan Lisowski
12-18-2019, 7:55 PM
The engine is the ranger is more than enough. When I was looking at trucks, I found the Colorado, ranger and tacomas to small, especially if you have adult passengers. As the driver, and I drove all of them, I actually liked the Ranger best, but I can't stand how cheap and dated the interior of Ford. I ended up getting a Ram 1500, with the V6 rather than the V8. I'm getting around 20 mpg.

Nike Nihiser
12-18-2019, 8:16 PM
Scott,
I just traded in a 2016 Colorado with the v6 and got a 2019 Silverado with the 5.3 v8 (went in for an oil change on the Colorado and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse). Had 45k on the Colorado, zero problems, just wanted a bigger truck. I don't know about the other mid size trucks, but the Colorado only has 46 inches between the wheel wells, and I haul a lot of plywood, so that wasn't good. My Colorado had a lot more interior room than the Toyota. Btw it was a long bed crew cab (relatively rare). The Silverado is just the extended cab (not crew cab) and is almost same length as the Colorado. The Silverado also is getting slightly better MPG than the Colorado. It selectively shuts down cylinders when cruising.A couple years ago the Colorado beat the Toyota in a Car and Driver comparison. I'm very happy with the Silverado.but the Silverado is definitely wider, so harder to maneuver in the parking lot wars.

Paul F Franklin
12-18-2019, 9:43 PM
I bought a 2019 Ranger crew cab two weeks ago during the end of model year/black Friday promotions. So far I love it. The technology is top notch. Ride is good for a truck, would probably be better with a little weight in the back. Don't fret the 4 cylinder engine; it's turbo charged, has tons of torque, and is coupled with a 10 speed tranny. In a blind test you would never know you were driving a 4 cylinder.

It's rated to tow 7500 lbs; no other mid size beats that. I did a short test (you're not supposed to tow during first 1000 miles) and towed my skid steer a bit; close to 6000 lbs with trailer. Handled it just fine. If I were towing heavy every day I would want a bigger truck, but for lighter towing or occasional towing, it seems it will do fine. It fits (snugly) in my garage, which a 150 or bigger wouldn't do.

I owned two rangers previously and this one is way better (and quite a bit bigger). So far I've been averaging 21-22 mpg. Two weeks isn't long enough to develop a full impression, but so far I have no gripes.

Scott T Smith
12-18-2019, 10:58 PM
We have a 2017 GMC Canyon crew cab 4wd with a diesel. Around 55K miles on it now with no complaints. Average city/highway fuel milesage is 27.2, and the highway mileage is typically 31. Rated towing capacity is 7700 lbs (which we've pulled multiple times).

Overall I'm very pleased with the truck. Sure, it doesn't tow like our Excursion or F450's, but then again they don't get 31mpg....

It is quiet and handles well. Back seat is a little tight, but a crew cab is a bit of a compromise on a small truck so no big deal.

I'd buy it again.

Roger Feeley
12-19-2019, 9:44 AM
check out
https://bollingermotors.com/bollinger-b1/

This thing is bleeding edge.
All electric so the mfr realized that they could make both the front and back open. So you can go down the road with a long board sticking out both the front and back.
I have no earthly idea who would buy one of these things but bless them. It's the early adopters that pay for the innovation that we all enjoy.

I had a 1990 Ranger and drove it into the ground. It was a great little truck.

Jim Becker
12-19-2019, 10:08 AM
Don't underestimate the capability of the smaller engines in the mid-size offerings. These new generation 4 cylinder engines are pretty impressive, especially those with turbo. While it's not a pickup, my Subaru Ascent has a 2.4L TT engine (regular fuel) and its performance acceleration is anecdotally on par with the 5.7L Hemi V8 that was in my previous Grand Cherokee which was only about 500 lbs heavier. And I get about 27 mpg on the highway which is pretty decent for a vehicle just under 5000 lbs.

I also agree with Mr. King about getting out and test driving as many different options as possible so you can ascertain what feels the best for you in size, comfort and performance based on your own needs. I'm a RAM and Tundra fan for larger pickups, but that's just my own preferences. I've no experience with any of the mid-sized products but the Tacoma, Canyon and Ranger are all worthy. (Although I'd not even look at a Ford right now because of how a close friend has been treated relative to a major problem that's put her family in jeopardy multiple times recently...not going to go into that here, however)

Jerome Stanek
12-19-2019, 10:18 AM
check out
https://bollingermotors.com/bollinger-b1/

This thing is bleeding edge.
All electric so the mfr realized that they could make both the front and back open. So you can go down the road with a long board sticking out both the front and back.
I have no earthly idea who would buy one of these things but bless them. It's the early adopters that pay for the innovation that we all enjoy.

I had a 1990 Ranger and drove it into the ground. It was a great little truck.

$125,000 for a truck with a 200 mile range seems to be stupid.

Doug Dawson
12-19-2019, 11:18 AM
I'll make this short and sweet. I'm looking at mid size trucks and I'm unsure what to get. The options are:
Chevy Colorado
Ford Ranger
Toyota Tacoma

All things being equal I'd like to at least try buying American however I've owned two GM's (cars) that were trash and a good friend had a ford focus that was nothing but trouble. I'd love to hear form some Chevy or Ford owners about reliability.

Thanks in advance.

Hmmm. I'm certain you're aware of how much trucks cost nowadays? I drive a late-model (Japanese) sedan and a late-model (Japanese) hatchback, both of which I love, economical, comfortable and fun to drive. When I want a truck, I just _rent_ one, big as I my heart desires. I'm saving SOOOO much money, I can afford to outfit a shop with whatever tools I want. :^) Trucks are such a major profit center for the auto manufacturers, that's all some of them make.

Scott Kilroy
12-20-2019, 6:11 PM
Hmmm. I'm certain you're aware of how much trucks cost nowadays? I drive a late-model (Japanese) sedan and a late-model (Japanese) hatchback, both of which I love, economical, comfortable and fun to drive. When I want a truck, I just _rent_ one, big as I my heart desires. I'm saving SOOOO much money, I can afford to outfit a shop with whatever tools I want. :^) Trucks are such a major profit center for the auto manufacturers, that's all some of them make.
That's not a bad idea, I need a new car so I thought I'd at least consider a truck.

Jim Becker
12-21-2019, 9:50 AM
Scott, I had a pick-em-up truck before we adopted our girls. It was nice to have and quite handy. But I don't miss it one bit...I drive SUVs because they are more practical day to day and can carry what I need the majority of time. I have a 5'x8' utility trailer that I can haul pretty much anything else I need to get between point A and point B and if I really want a pick-up for something, a rental is readily available and pretty inexpensive, such as from Home Depot. I can fit several 9' boards in my Subaru Ascent and still be able to close the rear gate (which I wouldn't drive with it open anyway) so I only really use the trailer for larger loads.

Scott Kilroy
12-21-2019, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the reply, now I'm rethinking the whole "buy a truck" idea :) You make a lot of good points.

Jim Becker
12-21-2019, 12:09 PM
I big ol' truck might not be the most practical for where you live, either, Scott. Parking trucks can be a bear in more urban areas for sure.

Scott Kilroy
12-21-2019, 1:00 PM
I big ol' truck might not be the most practical for where you live, either, Scott. Parking trucks can be a bear in more urban areas for sure.
True, unfortunately no one makes a small truck anymore. What I really want is something the size of a old Tacoma or the Old Ranger.

Kev Williams
12-21-2019, 1:05 PM
My truck is a rolling toolbox, it's where most of my power and hand tools reside. Truck is a must for me--

It's an '02 owned since new, was a 4 year lease. Residual was half it's worth so I bought it. It only has 61k miles on it, so 'longevity' isn't really a fair test yet, but even so, it's only on it's second battery (first lasted 11 years), 2nd set of brakes, and 2nd fuel pump. Funny thing, the battery, fuel pump, and brakes, all went bad while at our boat harbor, still trying to figure out that coincidence ;) ... It's obviously in great shape, and looks like it's been pampered, yes? Well, in the approx. 6300 days I've owned it, only about 30 of them was it ever in a garage, otherwise, always outside, fully exposed. I've have never waxed it (I won't wax any car, I have my reasons), or treated it a dose of car polish. Once in awhile I wash it. Living in the Salt Lake area, it's been driven on salted roads every winter, and there's no hint of any rust cancer starting. Can't say that about my trusty Chebby van ;) ...

I'm not a Ford guy per se, I'll buy anything if I like it, but Fords over the years have given me great service.

Scott Kilroy
12-21-2019, 1:19 PM
My truck is a rolling toolbox, it's where most of my power and hand tools reside. Truck is a must for me--

I'm in the suburbs of New York City so even with a locked cover I wouldn't be able to really store anything in the truck I couldn't afford to lose. If I do get a truck I'm thinking of leaving the back uncapped so as to not tempt anyone to break in. Oh city life, what fun :)

Jim Becker
12-21-2019, 3:55 PM
What I really want is something the size of a old Tacoma or the Old Ranger.

Yea, the latest incarnations of the mid-size trucks are larger than the "back in the day" versions for sure.

Darcy Warner
12-21-2019, 9:26 PM
I am of no help, I have always owned one ton crew cabs. Never saw the point of anything smaller.

Scott Kilroy
12-21-2019, 9:37 PM
I just wanted to say thanks again to everyone who offered advice. Saw Mill Creek has got to be the nicest community on the internet. I asked people for their opinion and it didn't turn into a fight. I hope everyone realizes how rare this is.

Now if we could only do something about YouTube commentators.

Jim Becker
12-22-2019, 10:32 AM
I am of no help, I have always owned one ton crew cabs. Never saw the point of anything smaller.

I'm thinking that you buy tools in the same way, Darcy. LOL Nothing small need apply... :D

Darcy Warner
12-22-2019, 2:14 PM
I'm thinking that you buy tools in the same way, Darcy. LOL Nothing small need apply... :D

I would love a 6 door with a 12 foot flatbed, plenty of room for the kids and the great dane, never been concerned about parking either.

Malcolm McLeod
12-22-2019, 2:28 PM
I would love a 6 door with a 12 foot flatbed, plenty of room for the kids and the great dane, never been concerned about parking either.

With the proper lift kit & tires, parking is NEVER a problem! :cool:

lowell holmes
12-24-2019, 10:38 AM
My 2014 F150 is pretty much bullet proof and it is a V6 that gets 16 mpg. It is a 1/2 ton truck.

John Goodin
12-25-2019, 10:12 PM
I drive a Honda Ridgeline. While not very “trucky looking” it does have a locking trunk under the bed which can hold two sets of golf clubs. This may provide the needed storage with security for living in an urban area.