PDA

View Full Version : glass front

Jim Evatt
12-17-2019, 8:45 PM
Got door for a wall hanging cabinet put together. I do not want to cut a groove for the glass. I want to make some wooden pieces to hold the glass against the underside of the door. It does have some overhang to do this. Is there anything wrong with doing it this way? It is to display some antique knives, I think. I also thought about asking if he would consider taping the door to the main cabinet using velcro. Thoughts on this?

Jim Becker
12-17-2019, 9:21 PM
I pretty much always install glass by having it in a rebate and then installing wood filler strips using 23 gage pins and no glue to hold the glass in place. The strips are then easy to remove if for some unfortunate reason, the glass needs to be replaced. I typically pre-finish the strips before installing the glass in the finished door or panel.

Lee Schierer
12-17-2019, 9:59 PM
The problem with velcro is getting the glass off if you ever want to or have to. Velcro has to be peeled to open, not a straight pull.

I see no problem with your wood pieces type of mounting. I would make the strips like an additional frame with a rebate to hold the glass and then attach it to your door with some small screws.

Jim Evatt
12-18-2019, 1:16 PM
The problem with velcro is getting the glass off if you ever want to or have to. Velcro has to be peeled to open, not a straight pull.

I see no problem with your wood pieces type of mounting. I would make the strips like an additional frame with a rebate to hold the glass and then attach it to your door with some small screws.

I like this idea and will see if it will fit. If not, I will have to disassemble the door and cut a rebate since I do not want to pay for a router bit. Thanks!

Richard Coers
12-18-2019, 4:30 PM
Too much Velcro and you would need a putty knife to get the door removal started. Bad idea in my mind. For a vertical cabinet, I'm having trouble understanding your question about holding glass on the underside?

Grant Wilkinson
12-19-2019, 7:44 AM
If you have the clearance for them, you could use mirror clips to hold the glass to the back of the door.

Here are some examples: https://www.amazon.com/mirror-clips/s?k=mirror+clips

Jim Barstow
12-19-2019, 11:44 AM
I’ve used the retaining strip/screws approach on all my cabinets with glass doors and I t works really well. I get everything fit and assembled with glass before finishing then disassemble it for finishing. Glass insertion is done at the last step.

You say it is a hanging cabinet but I would still pay for tempered glass. Better safe than sorry. All my cabinets with glass doors are floor standing and I have grandchildren running around so non-tempered is inviting tragedy. I use “antique” glass and the cost of the glass and separate tempering costs more than all the cabinet materials combined but for peace of mind it is cheap.

The picture is from a cabinet I did 15-20 years ago and why can’t I rotate the image after insertion?