PDA

View Full Version : Dielectric Grease?

Wade Lippman
12-17-2019, 7:51 PM
I have a 15' ceiling with recessed lights in it. I intend on borrowing a 12' step ladder and replacing the bulbs with LED's. Hopefully they will last forever, but in case they don't, I have one of those long poles with a suction cup on it to change them next time. (it took me 2 years to find someone to borrow a ladder from, might not be so lucky next time) The new ones are plastic versus the glass for the current ones, so I figure having one fall during a changing mishap won't be as catastrophic. But the suction cups won't work if the bulbs are tough to get out. So I am thinking of putting dielectric grease on them first. I have heard that prevents corrosion and lubricates them; but am concerned that it might help them fall out. (All four of the bulbs in my pole lamp outside unscrewed, and they were pointing up; these are pointing down). Anyone know about this stuff?

Rod Sheridan
12-17-2019, 8:00 PM
Hi Wade, I've used a very thin coating in exterior fixtures. Note that it is an electrical insulator.

If vibration causes your lamps to unscrew a bit, they'll be off and will warn you that they are loose.........Rod.

Jim Koepke
12-17-2019, 8:38 PM
Look for a product called bulb grease. It is an anti-seize compound especially for use with light bulbs. It may have been more common back in the days of incandescents.

jtk

Jeff Body
12-17-2019, 8:52 PM
I've never had a problem using my suction cup pole with my bulbs. A quick snap of the wrist and it's loosened.
And I've never needed any anti-seize or grease.

Thomas Wilson
12-17-2019, 9:08 PM
It is not usually vibration that causes light bulbs to unscrew themselves, it is thermal cycling. LED’s run cooler and I would think they would not unscrew nearly so fast as incandescents—my unproven theory. On the conducting light bulb grease, the power connects to the center contact on the base, the ground to the threads. You should be careful not to bridge the insulation between them with grease.

Alan Rutherford
12-17-2019, 9:40 PM
As Rod said, dielectric grease is an insulator. So it would seem that you could use any grease you want and get the same result - good or bad. I bought some grease a while back specifically because it was claimed to be conductive but I'm not convinced it really is. I wanted it for what turned out to be a stupid solution to a problem I don't want to talk about and it made it worse. Sticking the leads of an ohm meter into it showed infinite resistance. So whether I bought the wrong thing or there isn't any condictive grease - I dunno - but I wouldn't overthink the light bulbs.

John K Jordan
12-17-2019, 11:39 PM
As Rod said, dielectric grease is an insulator. So it would seem that you could use any grease you want and get the same result - good or bad. I bought some grease a while back specifically because it was claimed to be conductive ... Sticking the leads of an ohm meter into it showed infinite resistance.

I don't think any type of grease would work the same in this application. Some greases can harden.

I can't imagine a truly electrically conductive grease would be useful for many applications - seems like a little in the wrong place could cause big problems.

I read that dielectric grease is basically silicone grease. I use it for almost every connection, in the breaker box, battery terminals, connectors, light bulb screw bases, bulbs in autos and trailers, contacts inside switches. It does not interfere with the electrical connection and helps keep moisture and air away from the contact points and minimizes corrosion which can increase resistance.

I use dielectric grease on light bulb bases to make them easier to remove when needed - I've never had a light bulb loosen by itself after using dielectric grease. I read a technical article once that showed that lubricating threads in general was not detrimental to the connection and would not lead to loosening as commonly thought.

This is off the topic of light bulb bases, but I lubricate all machined threads on auto, farm and construction equipment, lug nuts, etc. My favorite grease for steel threads, hinges, etc. is Zep 2000 which comes in an aerosol can - it is low viscosity when applied which allows it to flow into tight places, then quickly changes to a higher viscosity grease.

Bill Dufour
12-18-2019, 9:28 AM
Back in the day they recommended vasaline on the threads of bulbs inside aquariums to reduce corrosion.
Bill D.

Wade Lippman
12-18-2019, 6:45 PM
It is not usually vibration that causes light bulbs to unscrew themselves, it is thermal cycling. LED’s run cooler and I would think they would not unscrew nearly so fast as incandescents—my unproven theory. On the conducting light bulb grease, the power connects to the center contact on the base, the ground to the threads. You should be careful not to bridge the insulation between them with grease.

The bulbs that loosened were LEDs. But they were outside and exposed to the wind.