PDA

View Full Version : Hand tool only project, for a hand tool only shop...

steven c newman
12-17-2019, 12:45 PM
Seems PWW had a series on Sloyd....and posted about the Hanging Tool Chest...

IF I can find the dimensions of one of the originals....I might try to build such a box. I think I have 99% of the OEM tool list.....

The 24" bifold rule.....have Lufkin No. 66 folding rule.
The "Sloyd Knife"....will take a few "road trips" to find one...
Oil can? Might have one....if not, I know where a few are..
Brace? 8" or 10" ? bits are not a problem.
All metal square? I think I have the exact same one..
Stanley No. 110 block plane.....yep
Stanley Jack plane.....I have one by Sargent...No. 3416..

Saws.....may new to pick up a keyhole saw. The other 2 I have...

Might be a nice wintery day project to do.....depending on the lumber supplies needed...

A few years ago...I made and filled up a Stanley No. 888 tool chest.....
Was missing a couple of the tools, though..
Was then donated as a door prize. ( Kept the table, though)

So...maybe do a Sloyd version?

steven c newman
12-17-2019, 7:58 PM
Maybe build one, and donate it to to someone in need of a "Starter set"? And tell them to build their own stand....or find a space to hang the Sloyd Box.

Have about 9' of 1 x 6 Ash.....may thin it down a bit....or..just buy some 1/2" thick Oak 1 x 6s?

Thomas Wilson
12-17-2019, 11:09 PM
I am working on a tool organizer board for my hand tool shop. I had come to the conclusion that I should have two shallow tool cabinets, one on either end of the board. The idea is to hang tools on the inside of the cabinet and front and back of the door to multiply storage without using more wall space. I will sketch something up tomorrow and post it.

Interestingly, the dimensions of what I have in mind are similar to the Sloyd tool cabinet. I shall copy some of the construction details. I will be doing mine using hand tools only.

TW

Thomas Wilson
12-17-2019, 11:20 PM
Here is a link to the PWW article. https://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/authentic-sloyd-tool-cabinet/

The dimensions are at the end.