PDA

View Full Version : Rip saws are back home

steven c newman
12-16-2019, 3:14 PM
Decided to send them out for a good sharpening. One had an issue when he went to set the teeth...
First tooth snapped right off, he decided to stop right there. Teeth were filed, though...
6 ppi....rather a bit old saw, too...
The split nuts have Patent dates.
That appear when you remove one of them.

As for the other, "newer" saw...
Medallion is a WS....kind of looks like a D-7?
5-1/2 ppi. Has a strange texture to the plate....and a ribbon ground along the top edge...no etch I could find...
Other than the teeth stamp....May save the older one for display...and make the WS into a user..

Now, anyone ever see that grind texture on a saw's plate, before?

Patent dates

Jim Koepke
12-16-2019, 3:35 PM
Looks like a Disston Patent > http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?id=7540 <

jtk

Pete Taran
12-16-2019, 4:05 PM
It's actually the Washbourne patent. Instead of casting the bolts they were made in two pieces, head and shaft and formed into one unit through brazing or soldering. I've only seen brazed examples in my studies. Disston and many other used them, but they were most common on Peace saws. That's not unusual because they both operated out of NYC.

Jim Koepke
12-16-2019, 4:14 PM
It's actually the Washbourne patent. Instead of casting the bolts they were made in two pieces, head and shaft and formed into one unit through brazing or soldering. I've only seen brazed examples in my studies. Disston and many other used them, but they were most common on Peace saws. That's not unusual because they both operated out of NYC.

My error, reading the makers instead of the patent holder:

jtk

steven c newman
12-16-2019, 4:51 PM
So...what about the pattern in the saw plate's surface?

Jim Matthews
12-16-2019, 5:42 PM
I had a Sears "Chromedge" that resembled this.
I was under the impression it was a result of grinding a taped into the plate.

Tony Zaffuto
12-17-2019, 5:49 AM
I had a Sears "Chromedge" that resembled this.
I was under the impression it was a result of grinding a taped into the plate.

I also have a Sears "Chromedge" with that pattern. I always thought it was a decoration of some sorts. Saw is a 10pt CC, and one of the first tools I ever bought, mid 70s, when I began my apprenticeship. Still have the saw and I like it! Incidentally, it was the first saw I tried sharpening, albeit, just a several stroke touch up per tooth, and cut much better!