PDA

View Full Version : A little Esherick; A little Escher

Prashun Patel
12-16-2019, 8:43 AM
I have been trying my hand at green woodworking and Windsor chairs recently. The riving process yields a lot of off-cuts that aren't really appropriate for a chair. But it seems a sin to waste them. I also have several wider off-cuts from tables that are too narrow or thin to otherwise be a chair seat.

The top is walnut (lathe turned; it's really a platter); the base is (I think) pin oak from our yard @ work. Finished in spar varnish. The legs and stretchers were riven, then shaped with a draw knife.

C&C invited.

ken hatch
12-16-2019, 9:37 AM
Prashun,

I like, I really like. Beautiful and I would love to have it in my home.

ken

Joe Tilson
12-16-2019, 9:40 AM
Prashun,
What a nice way to use scrap pieces. They are not scrap now, very nice indeed, go get um!

Ted Calver
12-16-2019, 11:36 AM
Excellent!! Love the combination of woods and the contrast between the riven legs and the contoured top. Well done!

Pat Barry
12-16-2019, 11:41 AM
Very nice work. I especially like the natural shapes of the legs and stretchers. How tall is it?

David Eisenhauer
12-16-2019, 11:42 AM
Very nice indeed. Simple, uncluttered, functional. Thanks for sharing Prashtun. Your travels into the chair world have been inspiring to see.

Jim Koepke
12-16-2019, 12:53 PM
All the above.

Nice use of materials on hand.

jtk

Eric Rathhaus
12-16-2019, 2:03 PM
Prashun, beautiful! I especially enjoy the contrasting texture of the walnut and oak.

Mel Fulks
12-16-2019, 3:33 PM
You might be the only boutique bodger! If you are now an employee ...someone will soon yell "speed up !".
I don't think anyone will walk by it without treating a hand to the rolling silkyness.

Jim Matthews
12-16-2019, 5:43 PM
Nicely done.

Reminds me of Adrian McCurdy, whose work I admire.

Kudos

Thomas Wilson
12-16-2019, 7:14 PM
Very nice. Chairs and stools are a completely different skill set from cabinets and tables.

Frederick Skelly
12-16-2019, 8:39 PM
I LIKE that Prashun! Very nice!

Andrew Hughes
12-16-2019, 8:45 PM
I also like it . Very cool

Christopher Charles
12-16-2019, 10:07 PM
Hi Prashun,

That's a delightful little stool--organic and elegant at the same time.

Best,
Chris

Prashun Patel
12-17-2019, 8:51 AM
Thank you for the comments. Here is a picture of the top. I rounded and scooped it on the lathe. Then I planed the bevel reliefs. I have a confession: when I split the tops of the legs with a chisel and drove the wedges, the split ran beneath the bottom of the seat. I'm not going to glue or do anything to it, but it's certainly not right. I suspect this happens if the seat is not fully engaged to the tenon. It was hard to do that because the curved surface, and 3-legged support didn't lend itself to easy clamping to a solid surface. Next time I will probably drill a relief hole across the bottom of the kerf to allow the tenon to bend without forcing a split farther down the leg. I could build a jig to clamp it better, but the more complex it gets, the less easy it is to justify as a 'use up your waste' project.

https://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=421686&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1576590652

Bill Carey
12-17-2019, 11:35 AM
very elegant stool Prashun. The subtlety of the top and the boldness of the legs work wonderfully together. Well done

Pat Barry
12-17-2019, 2:19 PM
I'm guessing its 18 inches tall.

Anuj Prateek
12-18-2019, 7:57 PM
Looks beautiful and velvety. Love the seat and how colors contrast each other. Legs (to my eyes) appear with kind of texture, and adds beauty to smooth seat.

Rob Luter
12-21-2019, 5:34 PM
I’ve looked at the photo a number of times and see something new with every viewing. I really like it. Organic and elegant seem apt descriptors. Nice work!

Tom Bender
12-23-2019, 7:10 AM
That little split will have no structural effect, it is just one of the many realities incorporated into this piece.

Rob Luter
12-23-2019, 8:05 AM
Thank you for the comments. Here is a picture of the top. I rounded and scooped it on the lathe. Then I planed the bevel reliefs. I have a confession: when I split the tops of the legs with a chisel and drove the wedges, the split ran beneath the bottom of the seat. I'm not going to glue or do anything to it, but it's certainly not right. I suspect this happens if the seat is not fully engaged to the tenon. It was hard to do that because the curved surface, and 3-legged support didn't lend itself to easy clamping to a solid surface. Next time I will probably drill a relief hole across the bottom of the kerf to allow the tenon to bend without forcing a split farther down the leg. I could build a jig to clamp it better, but the more complex it gets, the less easy it is to justify as a 'use up your waste' project.

https://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=421686&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1576590652

no photo showing?

Prashun Patel
12-23-2019, 9:03 AM
Is it showing now?

Thanks for the nice comments. I find more and more I spend most of my time struggling over design and selection of pieces. I'd say that's about half of my project time. I'm curious if others have the same struggle, or do designs and plans come easy to you?

Most of the time I am thinking how to make something new, only to realize that traditional designs exist for a very good reason: they work in form and function. I will always be impressed by craftsmanship, but I'm floored by truly new, novel designs. Some day!

I do see that most designs eliminate or hide the natural imperfections of wood: bends, knots, splits. Finding ways to make those elements aesthetic, without compromising structure is a fun challenge and the way I've landed on to keep designs a little fresh.

This is just BS musing; but I'm interested in other peoples' design process.

Jim Koepke
12-23-2019, 10:21 AM
[edited]
I find more and more I spend most of my time struggling over design and selection of pieces. I'd say that's about half of my project time. I'm curious if others have the same struggle, or do designs and plans come easy to you?

It is commonly known as the paralysis of analysis, a disorder experienced by many.

jtk

Rob Luter
12-23-2019, 11:04 AM
Is it showing now?

Yup. Thanks.

Rob Luter
12-23-2019, 11:09 AM
...When I split the tops of the legs with a chisel and drove the wedges, the split ran beneath the bottom of the seat. I'm not going to glue or do anything to it, but it's certainly not right. ... Next time I will probably drill a relief hole across the bottom of the kerf to allow the tenon to bend without forcing a split farther down the leg. https://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=421686&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1576590652

I had this happen when I built the footstool below. You can see it on the left side of the stretcher. I drill relief holes now. Lessons learned :o

Jeff Bartley
12-24-2019, 2:34 PM
Really nice work Prashun! Thank you for sharing.