PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Letters - Mounting Problem

Joe Pelonio
12-19-2005, 1:34 PM
I do a lot of acrylic letters and use VHB foam tape on the back for mounting. I always let the customer know before installtion that their
drywall will be torn up when the letters are removed down the road.
This time the company has only a one year lease and plans to move
into larger facilities, so they insisted that the letters be easily removable.
With larger and thicker letters I have used the all metal thumb tacks, just drill a 3/8" diameter shallow dimple and epoxy them. These being 1/4" thick letters and most of then small, I had to come up with this very tedious method.

Snip the plastic heads off of push pins
Hold each one with pliers, heat the cut (blunt) end with a torch until red hot.
Push into the backs of the letters, making sure to eyeball that ieach one is straight.

Let me know if you have a better idea. This took 4 hours for the whole batch, and I ended up with sore eyes and several poked fingers.

Dave Fifield
12-19-2005, 10:04 PM
Joe, what about that super gummy sticky goo that they use to stick CD's and DVD's to the front of magazines with? The same stuff FWW magazine uses to stick the outer covers on for shipping. It sticks pretty well and comes off cleanly when you want it to - kind of rolls off in one sticky lump. I'm not sure where you'd buy it from though....

Good luck,
Dave F.

James A. Wolfe
12-19-2005, 11:05 PM
I think I would try 3M's Command adhesive product. It's the foamlike tape they use on their hooks that can be removed by stretching. I'm not sure how well it would work since you'd be trimming it to fit and be completely concealed by the lettering. I've used the tabs to stick USB hubs, cord clips, etc to the wall and so a little "hangy down thing" isn't a problem. Jim

Joe Pelonio
12-21-2005, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, though I have not been able to find an adhesive like the one used on magazines, and as mentioned I can't have anything hanging down. After doing the installation it looks like my method, while time consuming and tedious, works. The letters look
great and when pulled off later just a lot of tiny holes will be left.
I made sure the pins were short enough not to hit a stud, and did
remove one to see if the pins would stay in the letter and they did.
Based on this job and my labor rate anyone else wanting this mounting method will have to pay an additional $2.00 per letter for it. If anyone does come up with a source for a strong adhesive that will not pull off the drywall please do post it.