PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying some old hand saw.

Rafael Herrera
12-15-2019, 2:26 AM
Hello,

At a salvage store near me in Pittsburgh, I got about a dozen hand saws for like a dollar each. Most of them are in very poor shape, but I think I can salvage some of them. I'm learning to refurbish and sharpen saws, so I can practice on them without feeling too bad if I make a mistake.

I found a Diston D8, a D17, several Warranted Superior ones, and several with no medallions to identify them.

One of the warranted superior ones, a cross cut saw, looks like it saw very little use. It's 26" long and the handle is of good quality. I refinished the handle and had to replace one of the screws.

I was able to re-sharpen it not too badly. It's rough but cuts well.

I was also able to salvage the etching but it is very faint. I can make out "TERLING" (at least TER?ING) at the center of the etching and the quote on the right side reads "The quality and finish of this saw cannot be excelled".

Have you guys seen this before? can you identify the company that made it? This is just to satisfy my curiosity. Here are pictures of the saw. I tried to "enhance" the etching with some image processing filters, but it wasn't a big improvement, nothing like in the movies where you get a perfect image reconstruction.

Rafael

Nicholas Lawrence
12-15-2019, 8:32 AM
Raphael, I have a number of warranted superior saws. From what I can tell they were made by the large saw manufacturers (Disston, Atkins, etc.), but often branded for local hardware stores. They are apparently not first quality, but in my experience have been good quality.

To avoid damage to the etch, it helps to go over it with a medium or find sanding block with WD-40 or similar lubricant. Make sure to use the block, so the abrasive rides over the etch without getting down into it.

Nicholas Lawrence
12-15-2019, 8:44 AM
Here are a couple of etches from saws I own with the warranted superior emblem:

It is hard to read, but the etch reads: “Willard Saw Co.” Under the emblem it says “Warranted” followed by what I think is “Superior”.

This second etch reads “S. Simons Hdwr Co.” “Boston Mass” “Spring Steel Warranted” “Patent Tempered Patent Ground”

Underneath it says “This saw is fully warranted and recommended for excellence of material and care in workmanship.”

Again, I have never heard or read of a “Willard Saw Co.” actually making saws, or a Simons Hardware Company making saws. They were almost certainly ordered from one of the big manufacturers (similar to how Kenmore branded appliances are actually made by Whirlpool, or Craftsman branded tools for many years were made by Millers Falls).

Rafael Herrera
12-15-2019, 12:50 PM
Nicholas, that may be the case, a rebranded saw. I couldn't find any reference to a saw company with the name Sterling or a hit when searching for that quote. Thanks!

Pete Taran
12-15-2019, 2:46 PM
Nicholas,

Many makers made saws for hardware stores and then rebranded them for their own use. Since that store was in Boston, it's likely Simonds made that saw. I don't find them in any of the lists that have been published with hardware stores.

As to the Willard Saw Company, I know who made that saw. Before I mention it though, I would be interested to see a picture of the whole saw, if convenient. Perhaps some of the esteemed saw experts on the Creek also know who made that saw.

Regards,

Pete

Here are a couple of etches from saws I own with the warranted superior emblem:

It is hard to read, but the etch reads: “Willard Saw Co.” Under the emblem it says “Warranted” followed by what I think is “Superior”.

This second etch reads “S. Simons Hdwr Co.” “Boston Mass” “Spring Steel Warranted” “Patent Tempered Patent Ground”

Underneath it says “This saw is fully warranted and recommended for excellence of material and care in workmanship.”

Again, I have never heard or read of a “Willard Saw Co.” actually making saws, or a Simons Hardware Company making saws. They were almost certainly ordered from one of the big manufacturers (similar to how Kenmore branded appliances are actually made by Whirlpool, or Craftsman branded tools for many years were made by Millers Falls).

Stewie Simpson
12-15-2019, 6:02 PM
Perhaps some of the esteemed saw experts on the Creek also know who made that saw.

Warren & Ted Superior Co. :p