Hello everybody

Today I show you my first brushed vase made of Douglas wood

I never thought that Douglas wood was so obstinately

I think the structure that comes through brushing is even more fantastic

Kind regards

Roger421480421481

mike ash
12-14-2019, 7:44 PM
That's neat looking. You mean Douglas Fir, right?

Thomas Wilson80
12-14-2019, 10:08 PM
Very nice - what is the brushing process you used?
Tom

roger fischer
12-15-2019, 1:10 AM
xes i mean douglas fir, il us a ingerman (topfbürste) for deep sanding

best regards

roger

Timothy Thorpe Allen
12-15-2019, 6:40 AM
Tom, roger had a video showing how he made this piece, and he used a wire cup brush in an angle grinder. I think that is what is meant by "ingerman (topfbürste)"

Dave Fritz
12-15-2019, 8:33 AM
Really nice piece, video would have been more instructive if you had shown the actual brushing. Maybe cut down on the roughing out a bit. Beautiful product no doubt.

tom lucas
12-15-2019, 6:18 PM
pretty piece. I'd like to know how to do that brushing technique myself.

roger fischer
12-16-2019, 12:30 AM
hi all thank oyu for your coment, the brushing (deep grain sanding) is showing in the video start at min 12:46

best regards

roger

Ron Borowicz
12-16-2019, 4:36 PM
Very Nice. What material is that brush made from? Thanks, Ron

Perry Hilbert Jr
12-16-2019, 5:35 PM
The brushing technique has been around for at least 50 years. It is especially for soft woods with wider grain patterns.I made a few brushed pieces back around 1970 and was shown the technique by an older Amish guy my dad knew. Amish guy's business was custom turnings, porch pillars, staircase parts, baseball bats. ( He made a 37 inch bat for me) I used a standard hand wire brush and scorched the surface with a blow torch to get more contrast between the harder part of the grain and the soft parts between. then scrub it along the grain with the brush. Looks like Roger used a brass cup brush in an angle grinder.

John K Jordan
12-16-2019, 6:24 PM
The brushing technique has been around for at least 50 years. It is especially for soft woods with wider grain patterns.I made a few brushed pieces back around 1970 and was shown the technique by an older Amish guy my dad knew. Amish guy's business was custom turnings, porch pillars, staircase parts, baseball bats. ( He made a 37 inch bat for me) I used a standard hand wire brush and scorched the surface with a blow torch to get more contrast between the harder part of the grain and the soft parts between. then scrub it along the grain with the brush. Looks like Roger used a brass cup brush in an angle grinder.

The other John Jordan uses and teaches that technique.

JKJ