PDA

View Full Version : Hand tools only

Josh Robinson
12-13-2019, 6:04 PM
How many of you do not use any power tools in your shop or only Use a band saw or very infrequently use some other power tool? Why do you choose to work this way?

Jim Koepke
12-13-2019, 7:31 PM
My main power tool is a bandsaw. My other power tools are a lathe, drill press, cordless drill and a few other seldom used power tools.

My original reason was my small work space didn't allow for many power tools. It was also quieter which allowed me to work on projects after getting off work at night.

Now it is still quieter allowing me to listen to music while working. It also helps to make mistakes slower.

Finally, it is good exercise.

jtk

Jason Martin Winnipeg
12-13-2019, 7:46 PM
I don't have any power tools or machines. I do everything by hand because I enjoy it. I have a cordless power drill, a circular saw, and a miter saw, but I don't use any of them because I don't like using them.

I would eventually like to get a lathe to do some turning, though.

Tony Wilkins
12-13-2019, 7:46 PM
I fit the bill you described although my bandsaw has sat for almost five years without being completely assembled. I hate the noise of the machines and the methodical hand tool approach fits my disability.

Tom Trees
12-13-2019, 8:19 PM
I have a large bandsaw which is frequently used, less used in order of use might go something like as follows ....
bench grinder, tablesaw, routers, drill, lathe,vacuum cleaner and a belt/disc sander.
The second last tool might be the answer to the question.

I still would regard myself a hand tool woodworker though my thinking on this might change if I had a planer thicknesser with adequate DC and used dominos
instead of joinery.
The case could be made that everything could be done by hand with results no different, so its labour saving rather than needing a machine to do the job.
My woodworking doesn't pay the bills though!

Above all for me, if I had no light it would be very difficult for me to work around it, as my shop has no windows (and will stay that way)
I should have wrote this at the very top of the list.
Having to do with rubbish lamps at the moment, as I didn't bother fixing my temporary lamp after it fell (again) as I eventually found what hopefully will be a decent lamp on the bay.
These long reach angle poise lamps are unbeatable, maybe you folks can just pick one up in town, our shops in Ireland aren't the best.
Have a look at these things for only a few quid on the bay.
Super Bright Swing Arm Clamp Desk Lamp LED Light with Metal Clip Office Home.

If you think using a machine is in some way cheating you of your quest to be a journeyman or whatever, try having no available light source and no lamp.

Apart from that rant it could also be the case of some folks having a goal at the end of the day (acoustic guitars for me)
and a lot of stuff isn't required for that.
Once I got into cabinetmaking watching Rob Cosman and the likes, I realised that using hand tools was more preferable than using and building all types of sanding machines.
I only used that belt sander for maybe 10 mins last year after turning something on the lathe.
I could sell it and get a handheld one, it was the first machine I bought and the least useful.

The workbench and planes are and have been the most important (after the work lamp) since I realised the virtues of cutting vs sanding.
That called for wanting a real good workbench, and the way to go about that for me was salvaging hardwoods from skips to laminate together.
This meant getting a tablesaw which I would not have thought to be important beforehand.
The other tools were got for a song, and if you're in for a penny your might aswell be in for a pound.
Still sticking to the end goal, but the work methods have changed to using hand tools for lots of reasons.
What a mess my workshop would have looked like with all those unnecessary sanding jigs, and I wouldn't have acquired a quarter of the skills that hand work requires.
All because I heard someone say....well, I'm not Rob Cosman....

I still will have many jigs to make and won't have space for many more machines, so that's one reason why I don't have more iron.
I do see real bargain planer thicknesser machines for a song, but that won't do anything for me that the hand planes won't.
The bandsaw can yield more timber veneers than any handsaw I've seen, and the tablesaw can do trenching cuts when I want to box cut out window rebates filled with putty
I suppose this could all be done by hand, but I'm slow enough already.
Tom

Jim Matthews
12-13-2019, 8:55 PM
Space constraints, cost and dust control lead me to mostly utilize hand tools. Exceptions incorporating battery powered tools include mortising and drilling multiple holes - boring tasks.

Derek Cohen
12-13-2019, 9:28 PM
How many of you do not use any power tools in your shop or only Use a band saw or very infrequently use some other power tool? Why do you choose to work this way?

With the exception of Warren, I do not hear others here only using hand tools.

I think that what you make, the amount you make, and your deadlines, are decisive factors in permitting hands-only or not. I cannot say that I have ever worked with hand tools alone, since I have used a circular saw before I had a table saw for ripping. It was not until about 15 years ago that I purchased a jointer and thicknesser/planer, and I used to rough out everything with hand planes. I've been woodworking for about 35 years, so had plenty of practice doing it mostly-hand tools.

Today I really value my power tools. I am 70 in January and really would not enjoy preparing boards by hand alone. I do not see this part of woodwork to be important. I build to see a vision come alive. I still use hand tools a great deal - indeed, they do all the important joinery and finishing. The machines do the grunt work.

The other factor is that I have enough space for the power machines in my workshop - not a lot of space .. half a detached double garage ... but it is more than many have, and it is that group that will more naturally gravitate to hand tools only. I know ... that was me once upon a time: apartment life and working out of a chest and mobile vise on the kitchen table.

If I moved to a much smaller space, the two machines I would want are a bandsaw and a drill press. There is so much you can do with each (one reason I justified spending the bucks very recently on a Nova Voyager).

Regards from Perth

Derek

steven c newman
12-13-2019, 9:38 PM
The Dungeon Shop is a Hybrid shop. Depending on what tasks are being done during shoptime.....it can be handtool, it can be machine tool, or..it can be both.

Restrictions on power tools.....IF it don't fit in the shop, it don't go in to the shop. Mitersaw? Cordless, Armstrong motored. Planers? I am the planer. drill press is a benchtop model

The tablesaw in the shop was my late Dad's. 8" direct drive. Some projects, it will get used...others the top of the saw is merely an assembly table. Haven't any dado blades for it.

Whether I use power tool, or hand tool....it depends on what I am doing.....not on what others think I should use. I try to use the best type of tool for the job, according the tools I have on hand.

Seems it is more about the skill in using the tools, than who made the tool.

Steven Mikes
12-13-2019, 11:12 PM
Bandsaw for long rip cuts, thickness planer for dimensioning boards. I did a few resaws and thicknessing by hand with rip saw and scrub plane, decided I'd rather spend my limited shop time on the less brutish tasks. Oh I use a cordless drill for small holes too, but hand brace for larger ones.

Bob Jones 5443
12-13-2019, 11:45 PM
Tom, buy a couple of these new LED lights:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L6T1N1K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Twenty bucks, and they're magnetized to stick strongly on any tool. I'm using mine now wherever I use the drill press, band saw, or sharpening station. I just bought another $4 steel disc to screw to the wall over my sharpening desk. It's a Brave New World that has such (things) in't.

Down the road, buy some 48" LED ceiling lights. You can get then either with power cords to run through extension cords or hardwired if you have a junction box nearby. Let There Be Light.

Bob Jones 5443
12-13-2019, 11:53 PM
I Am A determined Neanderthal, but I use the jointer, thickness planer, band saw, and table saw to get "close" to final foursquare, dimension, and smoothness. Then it's those lovely planes that behave rather well in my hands of late.

For example: mortise and tenon. Mortise with a plunge router and jig I made from Young Je on YouTube (genius). Tenon shoulders started on the table saw, cheeks on the band saw, finish-fit with chisels and jointer plane. No draw-bore, yet. We'll see.

I have not dipped my toe into the dovetail waters to date. Hand sawing scares me.

Anuj Prateek
12-13-2019, 11:58 PM

I use power tools and hand tools both. I am trying to use more hand tools as they allow me to work in night after work (noise factor).

Among power tools I find planer as indispensable. In it's absence I would be stuck with S4S which costs too much compared to rough lumber. My job site table saw is the next tool that sees most use. I would someday like to trade my tablesaw with a good band saw though.

Some tools I used to use but 'am finding lesser use now include: jointer, miter saw, router, cordless drill/driver.

Andrew Seemann
12-14-2019, 12:46 AM
I use power tools shamelessly. And I mean that quite literally. It doesn't bother me in the least to use the planer, jointer, table saw, band saw, drill press, routers, morticers, sanders, chop saws, etc.

I don't have any need to work like it's 1699. My body doesn't like standing and planing, and sawing, and chopping for hours on end anymore. And it takes forever. They invented all them machines for a reason. Plus even way back in the day, preparing rough stock was apprentice (i.e. young man's) work. That is why you became a master, to make someone else do the grunt work.

I don't get into "hand tool" woodworking or "power tool" woodworking. I just do woodworking and use whatever tool makes sense at the time. I probably use more power tools than most hand tool woodworkers, and I know I use more hand tools than most power tool woodworkers. Usually I pick whatever is the fastest. Often that can be a hand tool, like planing or scraping the machines marks out of a table top. But then I normally use a random orbit sander afterwards though, to get an even surface sheen and roughness prior to finishing or staining. If both options take about the same time, I often pick hand tools, just to keep the skills fresh.

Sometime I think people get too hung up on the whole hand tool vs power tool thing. There is no special prize for doing things the slowest and most difficult way possible, just to be "true" to one way or the other.

Tom Trees
12-14-2019, 2:00 AM
Tom, buy a couple of these new LED lights:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L6T1N1K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Twenty bucks, and they're magnetized to stick strongly on any tool. I'm using mine now wherever I use the drill press, band saw, or sharpening station. I just bought another $4 steel disc to screw to the wall over my sharpening desk. It's a Brave New World that has such (things) in't.

Down the road, buy some 48" LED ceiling lights. You can get then either with power cords to run through extension cords or hardwired if you have a junction box nearby. Let There Be Light.

Bob I would be highly skeptical on anything but the angle poise lamps from now on.
I have a salvaged one from the dump that's at the folks place and the missus has another, both take the old school 60w incandescent bulbs.
These are the best I've come across, so good I was going to make my own but couldn't source the springs.
The extra size of the shade gives much better visibility compared to a gooseneck bedside lamp, I played around with making shades for these before.

I was shopping in Lidl and impulse bought one of thesehttps://i.ibb.co/JyYvyXH/Livarno-Lux-7-5-W-LED-Daylight-Lamp.jpg
Its a really blinding bright blue light but doesn't give the same visibility as the angle poise lamp.
I find It doesn't show up a gap as well.
Currently bungee corded to my microphone stand which was for my camera, so recent photos are a bit blurry.
If I can't get a suitable bulb for the angle poise then I will swap it out with an old lamp fitting, I am presuming this might well need to be done.
This is the lamp I was referring to on that auction site.

https://i.ibb.co/S7BnWgz/Cheap-long-reach-angle-poise-lamp.jpg

I hope it comes soon, I've got to get sharpening my handsaws.
Tom

Josh Robinson
12-14-2019, 4:56 AM
I don’t know why this question is so interesting to me. And it really doesn’t matter for the most part especially for those of us who don’t make a living at this and is generally a function of ones means, space, desired level of out put, physical capabilities and just personal preference. But I think about it now and then, especially each time my father in law tries to give me the old Rockwell table saw jointer combo he used to build his house. Tom Trees comment
if you're in for a penny your might aswell be in for a pound.
pointed me toward the answer. If I got a table saw, I’d still probably pass on the old Rockwell anyway, thanks Dad, but If I bought a table saw, I should get a good chop saw. And so why not a jointer and planer and so on. If efficiency matters, obviously a well equipped power shop is best. And if money were no object, I’d probably have one just for the fun of it. But I think I’ve decided to stick mostly with the quiet rhythms of the “grunt work” of hand tools as long as my body lets me. And I can’t deny there’s some romance with all that old rosewood and brass.

Jim Matthews
12-14-2019, 8:43 AM
I did a few resaws and thicknessing by hand with rip saw and scrub plane, decided I'd rather spend my limited shop time on the less brutish tasks.

Amen, Reverend.

Jim Matthews
12-14-2019, 8:48 AM
Not mentioned above is the relative safety of using hand tools.

Unless you're building an entire kitchen, or house, efficient power tools come with serious risk of injury. Just read through any Wood turning forum for a physics lesson.

Bruce Haugen
12-14-2019, 9:52 AM
Not mentioned above is the relative safety of using hand tools.

Unless you're building an entire kitchen, or house, efficient power tools come with serious risk of injury. Just read through any Wood turning forum for a physics lesson.

The worst injury I’ve ever had in the shop was from a chisel.

Oskar Sedell
12-14-2019, 10:16 AM
I have and use no powertools but a cordless drill. My shop is only about 5 by 11'', and with workbench, wood and tool storage there is no room for anything else. I´m not wishing for handheld power tools due to the noise, and the dust problem.

I resaw everything by hand when needed, but have moved more and more towards splitting out parts with froe and wedges, and removing large amounts of waste with a hatchet. I´m only a hobnsnbyist. I´m enjoying also the rough work but tend to choose projects, and even more - designs after what is sensible when using only hand tools.

john zulu
12-14-2019, 10:41 AM
I have a bandsaw, drill press and lathe. The rest is mostly hand tools. That is for my wood interest. I have other equipment but that is outside the topic.

chris carter
12-14-2019, 11:27 AM
The only power tool I use is my thickness planer. I have a smattering of home-owner quality power tools, but they pretty much just collect dust waiting for the next fix-something-around-the-house moment. And most really small fixes I still just use hand tools because it’s faster for small things.

I do the hand tool thing because it’s more fun for me. And there’s less noise, less dust, and significantly safer (some of those power tools scare the crap out of me). It’s also considerably cheaper relative to what I would need for the same quality of end product – not a major consideration but I feel much less guilty about buying tools. This would be an expensive hobby otherwise.

Doug Dawson
12-14-2019, 1:07 PM

Whatever I know how to do, I learned how to do it by hand first, (with the exception of turning.) This was largely a matter of noise and space. I feel that it gives me a special insight into what I would prefer to do by machine. Now that I have a lot more space, I can act on that insight, and have a shop full of stationary tools. :^) Still, the hand tool is often what I reach for first, not usually being into production work. Just because I can. And because it can be relatively inconvenient and cumbersome to set up a machine to do some single specific action. And because it frees me from being enslaved by dimensions...

steven c newman
12-14-2019, 1:15 PM
Recently, had a Heart Cath done, and had a 5 pound restriction on lifting things. Rather than cut down some 1 x 6 Ash with the circular saw...
Atkins No. 65 did the job nicely enough.

Doug Dawson
12-14-2019, 2:36 PM
Space constraints, cost and dust control lead me to mostly utilize hand tools.

Funny that you should mention that. You'd be amazed at how much fine dust hand sawing puts into the air. This was a major motivation for investing in power saws with good dust collection. I still have issues with it, it's something I think about when battling my primal urges.

I also have issues with sweating on the wood, here in the South. No sir I don't like that. Hence a/c in the shop. That's a power tool as well, isn't it.

Dominik Dudkiewicz
12-14-2019, 5:06 PM
Funny that you should mention that. You'd be amazed at how much fine dust hand sawing puts into the air. This was a major motivation for investing in power saws with good dust collection. I still have issues with it, it's something I think about when battling my primal urges.

I also have issues with sweating on the wood, here in the South. No sir I don't like that. Hence a/c in the shop. That's a power tool as well, isn't it.

Yes, people often site using hand tools as a way to not require dust collection. You are 100% right that hand sawing creates a heap of airborne dust - far more than my bandsaw and tablesaw that are setup with good dust collection. Even hand planing creates a lot of fine dust. When i hand saw I have my DC running and a mobile ported box set near to the cut - not perfect but it really helps reduce the dust levels. So for me, whether i'm using hand tools or power the DC noise levels are still there unfortunately.

I am like several other posters here in that I use both hand and power tools as and when it makes sense or as the mood strikes me. I really enjoy using hand tools but I also enjoy the speed and efficiency of power tools for many tasks.

Financially, I have invested nearly 50/50 between hand and power tools.

Cheers, Dom

Jim Matthews
12-14-2019, 7:47 PM
[QUOTE=Doug Dawson;2973655]Funny that you should mention that. You'd be amazed at how much fine dust hand sawing puts into the air. This was a major motivation for investing in power saws with good dust collection. /QUOTE]

Really. Bless your heart.

Tom Trees
12-14-2019, 8:38 PM
We neanderthals need not dust collection, that's all media hyped auld hay is all it is!!!
AHHH'em cough, splutter wheeze chest bash...​
Sorry there, Ijust had a frog in my throat, anyway... you were saying?

Dominik Dudkiewicz
12-14-2019, 9:53 PM
[QUOTE=Doug Dawson;2973655]Funny that you should mention that. You'd be amazed at how much fine dust hand sawing puts into the air. This was a major motivation for investing in power saws with good dust collection. /QUOTE]

Really. Bless your heart.

Really. My table saw and bandsaw both produce far less airborne dust than a hand saw does. Really. And yes, I have quantitatively measured this.

Cheers, Dom

Michael Bulatowicz
12-15-2019, 7:49 AM
[QUOTE=Jim Matthews;2973713]

Really. My table saw and bandsaw both produce far less airborne dust than a hand saw does. Really. And yes, I have quantitatively measured this.

Have you measured your hand saw dust output with the saw sharp vs dull?

In my limited experience, a dull hand saw produces far more fine dust than a sharp one. I saw this (no pun intended) the first time I sharpened my Veritas dovetail saw. It was pretty dull by that point, but I had been anxious about sharpening it myself as I had never sharpened a saw before. I was amazed to find that when sharp it produced a pile of tiny shavings rather than any dust I could see.

Jim Koepke
12-15-2019, 12:41 PM
[QUOTE=Dominik Dudkiewicz;2973736]

In my limited experience, a dull hand saw produces far more fine dust than a sharp one. I saw this (no pun intended) the first time I sharpened my Veritas dovetail saw. It was pretty dull by that point, but I had been anxious about sharpening it myself as I had never sharpened a saw before. I was amazed to find that when sharp it produced a pile of tiny shavings rather than any dust I could see.

A ripsaw should produce those 'tiny shavings' when sharpened. If it is making dust, it is time to sharpen.

jtk

Dominik Dudkiewicz
12-15-2019, 2:30 PM
[QUOTE=Dominik Dudkiewicz;2973736]

Saws were/are definitely sharp. A dull saw probably does produce more dust but even a sharp saw creates a lot - and it's the dust you can't see easily that is more dangerous. Also, for most cuts with my table or bandsaw I can't see or smell any wood dust at all.

Cheers, Dom

Doug Dawson
12-15-2019, 5:50 PM
A ripsaw should produce those 'tiny shavings' when sharpened. If it is making dust, it is time to sharpen.

Are you measuring the dust put into the air with a decent meter, such as the Dylos? I can guarantee that you will notice it, no matter how sharp the saw. As usual, it's the dust you don't "see" that is the most harmful.

I use both Japanese and western saws. The Japanese saws are somewhat "worse" as regards dust because the dust tends to be finer, and you're blowing it away from the kerf so that it can be seen. With the western saws, which I keep sharp, the issue is quantitatively somewhat less than that, but still present. It's a problem particularly with the exotics, which you can easily develop a sensitivity to, if you haven't already (and then it can be game over for working with that species, or any wood at all in some cases.) You can never eliminate it entirely, but you can reduce your exposure.

Jim Koepke
12-15-2019, 9:30 PM
You can never eliminate it entirely, but you can reduce your exposure.

Some woods, like rosewood, get me to wearing a dust mask to help avoid the dust of smell.

jtk

Jim Koepke
12-15-2019, 9:37 PM
Are you measuring the dust put into the air with a decent meter, such as the Dylos? I can guarantee that you will notice it, no matter how sharp the saw.

No, my point is merely one of observation. A well sharpened ripsaw being used in rip mode will make small, curled shavings. If it is not, it likely needs sharpening. There will be particles of dust produced at the same time. That is the nature of dust, it is kind of like rust in that way. It never sleeps and just keeps reproducing.

jtk

steven c newman
12-15-2019, 10:04 PM
This cross cut saw makes a nice pile of sawdust....
But not as bad as other tools in the shop..

As for this 8ppi cross cut Panel saw..
Right now, the only "rip" saw in use...
Leaves a thin layer of sawdust.....

Zach Dillinger
12-16-2019, 11:24 AM
I use no power tools of any sort in my woodworking, right down to the treadle grinding wheel I use for sharpening. I do have electric lights that I use when taking pictures or when working at night (as I'm often forced to do). I work this way as I prize authenticity and period accuracy in my work. I consider myself more of an experimental archaeologist than I do a furniture maker.

Mike Baker 2
12-16-2019, 11:37 AM
I use power tools when it makes sense to me. If I'm prepping a ton of stock, I might run it through the table saw. Once in a blue moon. Mostly I'll just use a handsaw to cut the wood as I go, and a plane to flatten and square it up.
I am in the middle of an acoustic guitar build right now. I have used a power tool twice; both times a router. Once to rout the channel for the back strip, because trying to use a handsaw and a chisel to cut a 22" long, .050" deep channel in a .110" thick back doesn't make as much sense as using a router for that job. All of the binding channels front and back I cut with a gramil and chisel.
The second time was routing the truss rod slot in the neck. A) I don't have a 3/16" chisel, and B)the router cuts a nice, smooth bottomed slot to a precise depth, which lets me not stress over how thick or thin I can actually go on the neck carve.
The only other power tool I will use is a hand drill, to drill the holes for the bridge pins and tuning keys. Yeah, I could use a non powered version, but truth be told, these two tools are guided freehand over the piece I'm working on, and though technically "power tools" they require a steady hand to use. I'm not just feeding stock through a thickness sander, for instance.
I prefer hand tools for a variety of reasons.
I have the time, I'm not in a production setting. I do this for the joy of working wood and making something.The hand tools are not loud or whiney. In fact the sounds they make are quite pleasant to my ears. The work is much slower, and there is more tactile interaction with the wood; I tend to run my hands over the piece constantly, searching for imperfections my eyes cannot see. I don't need dust collection, I'm not engulfed in a cloud of fine wood dust/particulates that require a dust mask, unless I'm sanding. And if I'm good enough with the plane, that is minimal.
And finally, at the end of the day, imperfections and all, I made that with my hands. There is a certain satisfaction that comes with that for me.
There are also budgetary concerns for me; many of the power tools I simply can't afford. But I think even if I could, I would just buy more expensive versions of the hand tools I currently use, and call it good.

Jonathan Elliott
12-16-2019, 6:07 PM
Dom,

I know it's a bit off topic but what do you use for dust collection on your tablesaw/bandsaw and do you have pictures you can share? Thanks!

Jonathan

Marinus Loewensteijn
12-18-2019, 1:59 AM

Working this way because I've got a rare form of leukemia. Exposure to electrosmog and strong magnetic fields affect my health (and is measurable in my bloodtests...). No WiFi, mobile phone, digital amplifier etc. Due to arthritis (a complication) I cannot do everything with hand tools but I minimize the use of power tools whenever I can.

Dominik Dudkiewicz
12-18-2019, 3:52 AM
Dom,

I know it's a bit off topic but what do you use for dust collection on your tablesaw/bandsaw and do you have pictures you can share? Thanks!

Jonathan

Dom,

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

It is a little off-topic, but here are a couple of picks of the bandsaw and table-saw. I run a Clearvue 5HP Cyclone dust collector. I've attached some older photos I have on the laptop. The bandsaw has three 4" ports with an adjustable overhead port and the table-saw has a 6" port in the cabinet with a large radius bell-mouth entry on the inside and a 4" overhead port and shop made adjustable guard/hood. Both overhead ports contribute a lot to the effectiveness of the dust collection.

Sorry couldn't get this one not to rotate.

Table-saw -

And this is the move-able port I use with hand tools.

Cheers,

Dom

Derek Cohen
12-18-2019, 8:38 AM
Dom,

Jonathan

Jonathan, I built this very simple collector (at the blade) about a year ago. It is very effective. The bandsaw is a Hammer N4400.

https://i.postimg.cc/15JSPJCp/5a.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/TPj75YDb/D1a.jpg

The collector is simply a PVC pipe, which has a slit for the blade. It is blocked at the far end.

The tablesaw is a Hammer K3 slider, and has dedicated dust extraction from the cabinet that works well. This is supplemented at the blade guard.

Regards from Perth

Derek

john zulu
12-18-2019, 11:00 AM
I have the same setup. Very effective. Not yet made it permanent on my bandsaw

Jonathan Elliott
12-18-2019, 2:05 PM
Thanks Dom and Derek, I'm sorry for dragging this into this thread but really appreciate the photos. I'm getting ready to set up a 5hp Clearvue so it helps a lot. I really want to keep dust to a minimum.

Jonathan

Jason Buresh
12-19-2019, 5:38 PM
I have quite a few power tools. Table saw, band saw, scroll saw, miter saw, bench sander, drill press, etc. I also use a jig saw, router, hand sander etc. For home improvement projects, these tools save time and effort. I have not and will not rip multiple 4x8 sheets of plywood with a handsaw.

That being said, I have been using hand tools more and more in my projects. It seems like I spent a ton of time moving power tools, plugging and unplugging, hooking up dust collection and setting up cuts just to make a few small cuts. I can grab a hand saw and make those cuts in a fraction of the time, with even less noise and no dust being thrown in my face.

I also don't miss putting my hand and limbs near a 4000 RPM wheel of ultra sharp teeth

Overall I find hand tools less stressful. Just my 2 cents

Jim Koepke
12-20-2019, 1:33 AM
Jason,

What may sound odd is my consumption of sandpaper has gone down considerably since learning more about using planes. My tendency now is to use planes, scrapers or rasps before using sandpaper.

jtk

Jason Buresh
12-20-2019, 8:55 AM
Jason,

What may sound odd is my consumption of sandpaper has gone down considerably since learning more about using planes. My tendency now is to use planes, scrapers or rasps before using sandpaper.

jtk

Jim,

I have also found this to be true. I bought a good card scraper for less than half the price of a pack of 50 sheets for my random orbit sander.

I have also found a properly sharpened plane blade leaves a superior surface to sandpaper.

All in all I prefer using a plane or scrapers over a sander. No noise, no vibration, no sandpaper, less dust, and a better surface finish. And by the time you sand through all the grits I don't think the hand tools take much longer either

Jak Kelly
12-20-2019, 1:50 PM
I am not anti-hand tool, I kind of figure that all tools serve their purpose in time. I do know that the most common power tool in my shop that I reach for the most has got to be my 1/4" cordless impact gun, commonly referred to as a zip gun by me. Man is that thing ever handy, I find myself reaching for it to help perform a variety of tasks; household projects, tightening things up, automotive applications.............works well for lug nuts, I only use it to snug up lug nuts or remove them, then the torque wrench comes out. That is one tool that I would hate to lose, so handy, light, very powerful. My next most used tool might be either my drill press or my miter saw, which I have a cheapy 10" Ryobi miter saw that is over 20 years old, don't laugh, that Ryobi miter saw was worth every penny and the jobs, tasks and projects it has performed over 20 years............I probably cannot remember half of them. My next thing would most likely be my table saw, well also need to include a good, bag-able, shop-vacuum. The shop-vac serves double duty. When you put the bag inside of the canister hardly any of the fine dust goes out of the exhaust port, if any at all, so it works really well inside of a home to, for dusting, or if you have hard-wood floors......tile floors.....no way I could survive without my shop-vac either.
Then there is going to be a lot of tools that people really do not think about, like saw-horses, vices, clamps.............if you have a good set of saw horses then you can easily come up with some sort of work table or a project table when needed, but can also be easily stored out of the way when not needed. And I am not suggesting that a saw horse table will or can replace a good wood working bench either, it is just that there are times when a person needs a cheap and effective table top area that will provide adequate working space for maybe painting, staining, sanding..........just to get the work off the ground. Sorry I hate bending over and working in uncomfortable positions if I do not have to, I am too old and fat I guess.
Last but not least is a good area to work in, an area that you know, where you can reach and access whatever items are needed for the task at hand. My dad has a barn that I'd just love to have, hell if it was on my property and mine I'd probably be in it all the time. I hate working on stuff at my dads house because he has no idea where anything is anymore, it's not him, it's just his age. But I do get really frustrated when it seems that I spend a lot of time looking for stuff that if I were at home and in my environment I'd know exactly where to look!

Mike Wilkins
12-22-2019, 7:40 PM
By necessity I was forced to utilize hand tools to continue any woodworking. The cable company cut the feeder cable that feeds my shop from the house when they were laying a new cable line. Hand tools in daylight hours like in the old days.

Jim Koepke
12-23-2019, 1:38 AM
By necessity I was forced to utilize hand tools to continue any woodworking. The cable company cut the feeder cable that feeds my shop from the house when they were laying a new cable line. Hand tools in daylight hours like in the old days.

Isn't there any recourse to get them to repair your cable?

Surely they would expect to take it out on you if there cable was cut when you repair your feeder line.

jtk

Norman Pirollo
12-24-2019, 9:12 AM
422071Interesting discussion! Lately I have been focusing more on methods to do tasks using hand tools only. Getting away from the jig and multiples mindset, focusing on one-offs. This allows me to get re-acquainted with hand tools and the quiet, dust-free environment they create. Although I have the fullrange of machines, I would only use them early on in lumber prep and dimensioning. Just finished adding the infill portion to my two hand tool cabinets. To hold plow, #45, #078, etc.

Norman

ken hatch
12-24-2019, 10:42 AM
422071Interesting discussion! Lately I have been focusing more on methods to do tasks using hand tools only. Getting away from the jig and multiples mindset, focusing on one-offs. This allows me to get re-acquainted with hand tools and the quiet, dust-free environment they create. Although I have the fullrange of machines, I would only use them early on in lumber prep and dimensioning. Just finished adding the infill portion to my two hand tool cabinets. To hold plow, #45, #078, etc.

Norman

Norman,

A thought and a question: First is you are a sick puppy, that beautiful tool cabinet is just too organized to work out of :D. Second, where are the chisels and if your chisel rack/cabinet are as nice as the first I may be forced to do something about my shop.

ken

Brandon Speaks
12-30-2019, 4:09 PM
I use what I feel like at the moment. I tend to gravitate to hand tools more often than not but it depends on what I am doing. Of power tools my bandsaw and lathe tend to get probably the most shop time followed by a job site table saw. My grinder comes in somewhere close as does my drill press. My miter saw, routers, belt and disc sanders, dont see much time off the shelf. Cordless drills and whatnot see plenty of use for household chores but less in the shop. I dont own a joiner or planer and likely wont until I have a bigger shop.