PDA

View Full Version : NOOBIE reporting for duty...

Ron Mitchell
12-19-2005, 11:59 AM
Hey everyone...

I'm new to woodworking (about 2 years) I setup a shop in my 2 car garage. I have the basic tools tablesaw, band saw, drill press, 12" plainer,
router table and Jet mini lathe. I've taken about ten woodworking classes
from a local Woodworking School. I just got hooked on Pen Turning because my 11 year old daughter wanted to do some woodworking.

I have link to where my photos of my completed projects are.
I currently do not have any photos of my pens there , but I should have them up in a few days.
I would appriciate you taking a look and letting me know good or bad
what you think.
http://photobucket.com/albums/d54/remnantswoodshop/

I hope to have something to offer and hope to share photos, tips & advice.

tod evans
12-19-2005, 12:02 PM
ron, welcome! and you play cribbage? tod

Richard Gillespie
12-19-2005, 12:03 PM
Let me welcome you to the creek. Sit down and rest awhile. Lots of folk's willing to share their knowledge and experience here. I'm new to turning myself, so you'll see me asking lots of questions also.

Ron Mitchell
12-19-2005, 12:08 PM
Yes I'v been playing cribbage for about 15 years, but just for fun.
the Mahogany cribbage board was my first one to make.
My sister just finnished building her home and had some wood leftover
which she gave to me so I made her the cribbage board then showed her how to play.

Tyler Howell
12-19-2005, 12:42 PM
Now this is how it's done. New guy steps up pictures in hand with some great (advanced) projects for a 2 year vet.:cool:
Glad to have you wading in the creek Ron. Great bunch of follks here.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-19-2005, 12:46 PM
Welcome to the Creek Ron! It's a neat place to exchange information, ideas and opinions! I will warn you, however.....becareful turning exotics....the guys here that turn exotics act kind of strange....well..different....actually they just plain go crazy! :eek: :p :eek: Again...Welcome!

Ron Mitchell
12-19-2005, 12:48 PM
Welcome to the Creek Ron! It's a neat place to exchange information, ideas and opinions! I will warn you, however.....becareful turning exotics....the guys here that turn exotics act kind of strange....well..different....actually they just plain go crazy! :eek: :p :eek: Again...Welcome!
I feel welcome already

John Bailey
12-19-2005, 12:49 PM
Good first post Ron. You're gonna' like it here at the "Creek." Great people and great site. Welcome!!

John

Keith Burns
12-19-2005, 1:34 PM
Welcome abord Ron. You won't find a better bunch of guys anywhere, no way, no how:)

Bernie Weishapl
12-19-2005, 1:41 PM
Welcome aboard Ron. You won't find a better bunch of people or more knowledge anywhere.

aaron allen
12-19-2005, 1:54 PM
Well one newbie can't welcome another, I spent more time reading past threads on Sunday then I wish to disclose.
I can tell you that farmers table looks like it should be in the Dinning rm though- nice job. If you made the chairs with two years under your belt, I'm going start drinking to forget.

John Hart
12-19-2005, 2:01 PM
Welcome Ron....Great Projects!!! Hope to learn something from you ;)

Oh....You forgot your hat

Ken Fitzgerald
12-19-2005, 2:04 PM
I warned you Ron.......some of these guys have been turning too much of the exotics.......or at least that's what they claim!:D

John Hart
12-19-2005, 2:10 PM
You forgot yours too Ken.:)

Ron Mitchell
12-19-2005, 2:24 PM
Well one newbie can't welcome another, I spent more time reading past threads on Sunday then I wish to disclose.
I can tell you that farmers table looks like it should be in the Dinning rm though- nice job. If you made the chairs with two years under your belt, I'm going start drinking to forget.
Aaron,

I built the farmers table last March. I took a week off from work and built it at my Friend's Woodworking School. http://www.woodschoolnh.com/
it is Soft Maple and is 7' X 3' and has a 14" draw on each side.
I completed it in 40 hours...then another 17 hours for finnishing
two coats of antique maple stain and three coats of cherry stain
and three coats of laquor.

thanks for the coments...

the chairs were from an old set that I hope to one day replace.

Dick Parr
12-19-2005, 8:56 PM
Welcome Ron and all of the projects are really great looking. A lot of attention to detail.

Ernie Nyvall
12-19-2005, 9:13 PM
Welcome Ron.

All your work looks very nice. I like that table. Some of the pictures are a bit small though so if you will send me a couple of your pieces, I'll take a closer inspection.:rolleyes: :D

Ernie

Andy Hoyt
12-19-2005, 10:38 PM
Welcome, Ron! Boy am I glad to see another Yankee in here.

You have no idea how much work it is to keep them midwesterner guys befuddled all the time.

As you get familiar with everyone, you'll see that I've been doing a bang up job.

Except for that guy from Lewiston, Idaho. He's a special case.

Corey Hallagan
12-19-2005, 11:00 PM
Welcome to the Creek Ron,

Corey

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
12-19-2005, 11:19 PM
Greetings from Japan Ron!!

I'm fairly new here as well, kind of funny, as these guys discovered ME!!

Stu's Shop (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22661)

Maybe I was not "Discovered" as much as lured........:confused:....:eek:....;):D

This is a great place, I'm very new to turning as well, in fact I have the wood, but no lathe.....yet!

I'm looking forward to seeing some more great projects from you, thanks for sharing!

Cheers!

Kent Cori
12-20-2005, 9:35 AM
Ron,

Welcome to the Creek. You have now found the most extensive body of woodworking knowledge in the known Universe. You've also found a bunch of folks who will make you feel at home in this community. However, be forewarned. We are all eager to spend your money on new tools! :D

Howie French
12-20-2005, 4:26 PM
Welcome Ron !

great looking projects !

You have found a great site here, so many talented people willing to help one another.

I really like your cribbage boards, how did you drill your holes ?
I am intertested in making a few of these, any tips you could provide would be great.

Howie

Ron Mitchell
12-21-2005, 8:56 PM
The Cribbage Boards were the first projects I did.
My Sister just finnished building her new home a she called me up and said I could have my all of the leftover wood I wanted.( Mahogany, Douglas Fir..etc) most of the wood was just big enough for small projects.
I took three truck loads home and a few days later i was in my local Rockler Store and I saw a template for drilling holes in cribbage boards
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5908 I bought the one for $29.99. the box style I make I sell for $55.00

**Just a tip**

I bought the Self-Centering Bit but sometime when I drilled with it
some of the holes would be chipped around the edges because it clogged up the bit

If you make a few post some Photos