PDA

View Full Version : Norfolk Pine - Is it worthless or does it have any burl?

Randy Viellenave
12-12-2019, 9:12 PM
Before moving to HI, I had never even heard of Norfolk pine, now I am taking out several to put in something that looks better. Since they grow rather chaotically, I thought I would ask about it here. I know a couple turners and I am sure they would want some chunks if it isn't junk wood. Any experience with this stuff? Here's a bunch of pics.

421408 421409 421413

Richard Coers
12-12-2019, 9:45 PM
Just use Google images to see how beautiful it can be. I guess you aren't a woodturner, because it is highly prized for turning.

Mike Henderson
12-12-2019, 9:48 PM
That looks very different from what I know as a "Norfolk Island Pine". The Norfolk Island pine I know is very straight and has branches at regular intervals up the trunk. That is, there will be a section of trunk with no branches, then a section where a group of branches come out all around the tree, at the same height. The tree can get very large, as big as a normal pine.

I don't know anything about your Norfolk Pine - sorry.

Mike

Randy Viellenave
12-12-2019, 9:52 PM
Mike, you might be on to something. I was told it was Norfolk Pine, but that doesn't make it true... Might have to investigate some more. I am only certain it is coniferous.

Mike Henderson
12-12-2019, 9:58 PM
Mike, you might be on to something. I was told it was Norfolk Pine, but that doesn't make it true... Might have to investigate some more. I am only certain it is coniferous.
Google "Norfolk Pine" and see with you get - especially images.

But no matter what the wood is called, the question is whether what you have will work for your project. From your pictures it looks like it might be good for turning.

Mike

Randy Viellenave
12-12-2019, 10:13 PM
According to Google, it certainly isn't Norfolk Pine, nothing even looked like it. In any case, I just don't want to sentence any nice burls to their premature and lonely death at the hands of a giant chipper when I could make a turner real happy.

Tom Bender
12-14-2019, 7:11 AM
Post in the turning forum.

Pete Staehling
12-14-2019, 1:58 PM
That looks very different from what I know as a "Norfolk Island Pine". The Norfolk Island pine I know is very straight and has branches at regular intervals up the trunk. That is, there will be a section of trunk with no branches, then a section where a group of branches come out all around the tree, at the same height. The tree can get very large, as big as a normal pine.
Yep, your description is what I know as Norfolk Pine. I was recently in Hawaii and there were a lot of them there. Some were very tall, maybe as high as 150-200'. They were brought to the islands to be grown for ship masts.

They are popular for turning. The rings of branches make for figure that looks very nice.

Doug Dawson
12-14-2019, 2:02 PM
Yep, your description is what I know as Norfolk Pine. I was recently in Hawaii and there were a lot of them there. Some were very tall, maybe as high as 150-200'. They were brought to the islands to be grown for ship masts.

They are popular for turning. The rings of branches make for figure that looks very nice.

Talk to your local County Extension Agent, maybe bring him a sample along with the pictures. They should know all the local stuff.

Myk Rian
12-14-2019, 3:36 PM
Are you sure that thing isn't an alien?

Doug Dawson
12-14-2019, 3:49 PM
Are you sure that thing isn't an alien?

If more than one person has spotted it, then it must be real. ("Oh, you saw it too?")

Bill Dufour
12-14-2019, 10:19 PM
I always thought Norfolk Island Pine was from the Norfolk Islands. I had not really heard of them until Britain went to war over them. Where is Norfolk pine from..somewhere in England??
Bil lD

Mel Fulks
12-14-2019, 10:25 PM
I think Australia and,or, New Zealand

Steve Demuth
12-15-2019, 10:21 AM
I think Australia and,or, New Zealand

True Norfolk Island Pines are indeed native only to Norfolk Island, where they were discovered by Captain Cook in his 1772 -1775 voyage. There are several other close related species native to the islands in that part of the Pacific and Australia and New Zealand.

The are not pines botanically - although they are cone-bearing, their leaves are not needles like true pines. But they have a growth habit that is very much like the bigger pines - single, central trunk with radiating branches that give the tree an overall narrow, conical habit. They get very tall.

Whatever is in your backyard, it isn't Norfolk Island Pine. They don't resprout from removed limbs or trunks, so you can't get the kind of multi-trunk, gnarled mess you have.

Zac wingert
12-15-2019, 3:24 PM
that is absolutely not Norfolk pine. That is locally called ironwood. It is: https://wildlifeofhawaii.com/flowers/774/casuarina-equisetifolia-common-ironwood/

heavily and crudely pruned, looks
like.

it is an “ironwood” so there is some value to it for turning handles or something. People on the big island like
it for firewood.

Zac wingert
12-19-2019, 12:55 AM
So, what’d you do with it. I’m sure there was at least something worth saving in there.

Randy Viellenave
12-30-2019, 12:25 PM
Thanks Zac, Ironwood it is. They're not all the way down yet, the plan is to take down to the stumps, then carve some pieces off that look like they have potential (small enough for the band saw). I did find one knob that is definitely burl, but it is not big. Plan to cut out potential turning stock, or even small box stock. This will be my first go at gathering such material, so hopefully I get more than I ruin:)