PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Planer Frustration

Bill Zak
12-12-2019, 8:46 PM
First, I am an industrial tech teacher that inherited a 20" planer so I don't know the history. But after returning all set up to factory recommendation it still won't pull material completely through. All rollers are turning and have been cleaned. The only part of the set up I'm not happy with is the first bed roller. At its lowest it is still .060" above the bed but that shouldn't effect the board from being pushed out. Every time I call tech support I get different answers.

Matt Day
12-12-2019, 9:56 PM
Assuming it’s a standard 20” 4 poster, the bed rollers should lower completely. Check for a possible buildup of debris under it or something. Increase the pressure of feed rollers and wax the bed. Also make sure the chip breaker isn’t too low.

glenn bradley
12-12-2019, 10:30 PM
Yes, the model number would help. Generally for home shop use I lower the bed rollers to dead even with the table surface. An un-waxed cast iron bed, even if not rusty, can provide a surprising amount of drag. Wax those beds. the feed rollers on most models are adjustable to the point where they leave tracks in the material; folks are usually trying to back them off ;-)