PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Lathe inverter issue

James Onofrio
12-12-2019, 7:50 PM
Hi y’all,

I’m fairly new to the site here and was wondering if I could get some feedback on my Grizzly Lathe. I have the Grizzly G0632. I got it about 3 years ago and just the other day I was using it and there was a pop and smoke started coming from the inverter. Now the lathe doesn’t do, or display anything. I contacted Grizzly about repairing the inverter, but they don’t do that. A new one through them is around $750, which is half the cost of the lathe! Does anyone have any thoughts on what options I have? Perhaps there’s someone who can repair them or other, more reasonable places to buy a new one? Any feedback would be would be greatly appreciated!

Jim

Roger Chandler
12-12-2019, 8:19 PM
You can purchase a new inverter for a good bit less from Delta Electronics [google them] and you need to be able to program it, and they will send you a manual and perhaps tech support. If you get the same model inverter as is on your lathe, the wiring could be copied as far as hookup, but the parameters are something you will need to have information on for setting the inverter to work optimally with your lathe. There is info online about lathe inverter parameters, but you will have to do some research, and perhaps have a tech person to help you out.

There are also other brands of inverters, like TECO, Westinghouse, etc, but basically the same routine for setting them up. I am not an expert, by any means, but do know you could likely get one and save that lathe.

Brice Rogers
12-13-2019, 6:29 PM
James, sometimes when you get a catastrophic failure (pop and smoke), you can open the electronics and look for the charred component. If the component that popped was the underlying cause for the failure the fix can be easy. If the component that popped was merely an "innocent victim" of another fault, it is more challenging to fix. Before I would buy a new invertor, I would at least look at the circuit board(s) to see if there is something obvious.

James Onofrio
12-17-2019, 7:36 PM
I appreciate the help guys. I’m going to remove the inverter and check the components for any obvious damage as suggested. If I can’t find anything bad I’m going to check out the Delta site, also as recommended! Thanks so much!