PDA

View Full Version : In love with my new-to-me dovetail saw

roger wiegand
12-12-2019, 7:04 PM
Part of my recent estate sale tool score was a Lie-Nielsen dovetail saw. I have had a chance to use it cutting tenons over the last couple of days and all I can say is wow. I've used some (probably cheap-- bought at a yard sale in Palo Alto many decades ago) Japanese saws for many years now when a hand saw seemed the appropriate tool, and they worked OK. I recently acquired this LN saw and tried it out cutting tenons for a coffee table and it has been a revelation. It cuts incredibly quickly, it's trivial to cut exactly to a line, and it just feels good. I'm feeling myself slipping over to the Neander side...

Ona similar note, I've had a #6 and #8 Stanley plane forever, the haul included a LN #7-- once again I'm in love. What a great plane! Way more manageable than the Stanley #8 and rock steady compared to the #6. I'd always though the #6 didn't get sufficient appreciation, but now that I've used a #7 I understand.

Jim Koepke
12-12-2019, 10:27 PM
Sounds like a good score Roger, can you post images?

jtk

Frederick Skelly
12-13-2019, 1:59 PM
Yup. I love my LN DT saw too Roger. It's a delight.

Mike Henderson
12-13-2019, 4:10 PM
I have a number of LN dovetail saws - I use them in a class I teach. One thing I'll mention is that LN will resharpen them for $25. You pay postage to them and they pay the postage to return it to you.

One of my LNs is a progressive and they resharpened it for $25, also.

Mike

roger wiegand
12-13-2019, 7:23 PM
OK, here's both the saw and the table in process on my messy bench. I cut the faces of the tenons on my table saw using my tenoning jig, but cut them to width using the hand saw. The table will end up in Greene and Greene style to match the walnut end tables I made and posted several months ago. The coffee table is cherry.

Jim Matthews
12-13-2019, 8:56 PM
A shop without sawdust is like a puppy without a leash.