PDA

View Full Version : Morning for scams and confusing emails

Ole Anderson
12-12-2019, 9:46 AM
My wife said she got email from Amazon, a very real looking Amazon page link in her email, saying her account has been deactivated. She gave them just the barest information they asked for including the password to sign in. Got nervous and immediately went to her real Amazon link and changed her password. Then I am going through my morning emails and see one from Reader's Digest (which I do subscribe to) thanking me for the new one year subscription for $24.98. Went to the real Reader's Digest site and found a 2 year subscription is only $15. Checked my credit card statement and no activity. I think they wanted you to go to their website and give them info to see want they did. Reminding everyone that when you get one of these, look at the url address line and compare the main address. If amazon, you will see amazon.com somewhere in the address line.

Then I got this one from SMC:

"Your access to the paid subscription "Monthly Recurring Contribution" is about to expire.

If you have selected a recurring subscription you will be automatically billed for the renewal, else to renew this subscription you must visit https://sawmillcreek.org/payments.php

If you do not extend your subscription, access will be removed."

It seems to be saying it is going to expire, but because I selected recurring subscription, it will be renewed automatically. Then why send out this email?

My head is spinning, I don't have time for this, too much on my plate today...

Chuck Wintle
12-14-2019, 7:52 AM
My wife said she got email from Amazon, a very real looking Amazon page link in her email, saying her account has been deactivated. She gave them just the barest information they asked for including the password to sign in. Got nervous and immediately went to her real Amazon link and changed her password. Then I am going through my morning emails and see one from Reader's Digest (which I do subscribe to) thanking me for the new one year subscription for $24.98. Went to the real Reader's Digest site and found a 2 year subscription is only $15. Checked my credit card statement and no activity. I think they wanted you to go to their website and give them info to see want they did. Reminding everyone that when you get one of these, look at the url address line and compare the main address. If amazon, you will see amazon.com somewhere in the address line.

"Your access to the paid subscription "Monthly Recurring Contribution" is about to expire.

If you have selected a recurring subscription you will be automatically billed for the renewal, else to renew this subscription you must visit https://sawmillcreek.org/payments.php

It seems to be saying it is going to expire, but because I selected recurring subscription, it will be renewed automatically. Then why send out this email?

My head is spinning, I don't have time for this, too much on my plate today...

Make this an absolute...never click on a link in an email!! always go the real website and log in.

Myk Rian
12-14-2019, 3:18 PM

If you do not extend your subscription, access will be removed.".

This is confusing. Admin needs to re-write it.

John K Jordan
12-15-2019, 7:03 AM

Ole,

I get that every month after I signed up for automatic contributions. The email title is "Paid Subscription Expiry Notice". It confused me too. I can't remember the answer I got from admin but seems like it was something that couldn't easily be changed. I've learned to ignore it.

JKJ