PDA

View Full Version : Euro Beech table

Andrew Hughes
12-09-2019, 11:43 PM
Hi everyone this is my fourth version of this modern danish style table. I’m very close to my final version but need some small improvements.
My final version will be my entry for the woodworking competition in July of next year. I hope to take a home a ribbon.
It looks simple but it takes wood turning wood sculpting and carving skills.
The shelf is perfect for a iPad or tablet.
Its 23 inch tall the top is 14.5 wide. The leaves inlayed are my version of beech leafs.
Thanks for looking

Jamie Buxton
12-10-2019, 12:43 AM
How do those leafs work? Did you carve them separately, and then glue them into recesses you chiseled into the table top?

Mel Fulks
12-10-2019, 12:47 AM
The feature I like is the joint of shelf to legs. The carving is nice, I'd like green leaves. It's a piece that will be subtle
and modern to some ,but too much like church nursery furniture to others. Leg taper is so subtle that some will not see it.
I always enjoy seeing your work. Good luck to you!

Christian Hawkshaw
12-10-2019, 8:12 AM
Wow...the joinery is incredible.....almost seamless. Good luck at the show.

Phil Mueller
12-10-2019, 2:05 PM
Really nice, Andrew. Blue ribbon to my eyes.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
12-10-2019, 2:30 PM
Andrew, I agree with all of those that commented before me. The subtle, but clearly difficult to execute, transition between the legs and the shelf are sublime. The small carving is a very nice compliment to the simple table. If there was any one critique I'd have (completely personal preference) would be that I'd like to see the shelf an 1/8" to 1/4" thinner.

It is a very well-designed and executed piece; you are an exemplary craftsman.

Jim Becker
12-10-2019, 7:24 PM
Absolutely beautiful result! The inlay is awesome...it really appears more like you relieved the top rather than added the raised inlay!

Paul F Franklin
12-10-2019, 7:51 PM
Gorgeous, just gorgeous!

Andrew Hughes
12-10-2019, 7:55 PM
Thanks guys for the your input and comments. I pretty sure I’m going to make one more that’s even more refined for the competition in July.
Thanks Again

David Utterback
12-10-2019, 8:24 PM
Very nice and elegant. I agree with the comment above that the legs could be tapered more. Thanks for sharing

johnny means
12-12-2019, 8:31 PM
I like the subtle taper. You sense the light footstep without seeing a blatant cone shape. Nicely executed, I can see the excruciating amount of fitting that had to happen.

Andrew Hughes
12-13-2019, 8:40 PM
Thanks Johnny, that exactly what I am trying to convey. So this is the 4th version the first had too much taper too much splay. This one I turned the leg only 3/16 thicker at the top and use a spoke shave to remove the parting tool marks.
The splay is 4 degrees the legs were also rift with the grain carefully oriented.
They have a subtle bend in the leg due to the lines in the grain.
I chose beech because it’s cheap. But also has a quite presence.
Andrew

William Fretwell
12-13-2019, 10:45 PM
Andrew your fit and finish is excellent. I also love the shelf mortice connection. The top seems a little odd, perhaps too thick, the rounded edge at odds with the shelf or not quite big enough, not really sure.

Mark Rainey
12-14-2019, 1:18 PM
Andrew, a fine understated work of art.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-14-2019, 1:23 PM
Incredibly well done Sir! I will echo an earlier poster, I love the joinery! I also agree it has a light, elegant feel! Very well done!

Frederick Skelly
12-14-2019, 3:44 PM
That's very nice! I like the "apparent" simplicity and subtle details - the joinery, the taper to the legs, the edge on the table top, the single carving. If this is still practice, I can't wait to see what you put in the Show!
Fred

Prashun Patel
12-14-2019, 4:09 PM
It's beautiful and I applaud your process. The carving is perfect.

Take this for what it's worth, but my novice eye wants this to be even more delicate, by doing 2 things: thinning the top to 5/8", and tapering the legs to 3/4" or 7/8". I also think there is an opportunity to do something with the joint between the shelf and the apron by inlaying a contrast. These are unsolicited musings; you have obviously given this way more thought than I have in 2 minutes.

Matthew Hills
12-16-2019, 9:02 AM
Thanks Johnny, that exactly what I am trying to convey. So this is the 4th version the first had too much taper too much splay.

Ooo... I see the opportunity for some comparison photos!

I'm also in the "love the leg/shelf transition" camp.

Is the interior panel of the shelf proud of the shelf frame, or is that an illusion from the surrounding groove?

Matt

David Utterback
12-16-2019, 10:16 AM
This table is elegant and well crafted. I just looked at your photos again and noticed that he shelf has the corners cut at 45* to the edges. The transitions from the leg meet that angle which makes me wonder if that entire area of the legs is shaped by hand. The joints I can see are superb!

Andrew Hughes
12-16-2019, 4:01 PM
Thanks Dave the sculpting work was done using carving gouges,files,goose neck scraper.
The joint were the shelf meets the leg is actually about a 1/4 inch away from the leg. There’s a domino in there.
Beech is very satisfying to work with because tools stay sharp a long time.
I use very little sandpaper in my work mostly in the finishing part.
Thanks again