PDA

View Full Version : Cutting wood sheets - marks left by residue on table

david emery
12-09-2019, 5:13 PM
Hi. I am a newbie to laser cutting. We have a Trotec speedy 360 Flexx. I am cutting some simple wooden shapes from 3mm bamboo sheets. These are leaving a dirty residue on the aluminium grid table, meaning the backs of the cut shapes have dirty marks on each time.

I have tried raising the wooden sheets up by 3mm using some offcuts which does improve things a little, butwhen the pieces drop down they are still getting marks on them from the bed.

Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a solution?

Thank you.

Mike Null
12-09-2019, 5:54 PM
I am guessing that you are seeing "bounceback" from the grid. That is normal and a common problem. My solution has been to use an acrylic grid--be sure it's acrylic--instead of the aluminum grid. If you shop around you can find acrylic light diffusers at lighting wholesalers. I elevate mine off the table by about an inch.

The acrylic absorbs the beam instead of reflecting it.

Jerome Stanek
12-09-2019, 6:04 PM
I am guessing that you are seeing "bounceback" from the grid. That is normal and a common problem. My solution has been to use an acrylic grid--be sure it's acrylic--instead of the aluminum grid. If you shop around you can find acrylic light diffusers at lighting wholesalers. I elevate mine off the table by about an inch.

The acrylic absorbs the beam instead of reflecting it.

Make sure it is acrylic and not styrene

david emery
12-10-2019, 6:06 AM
Thanks for the reply. I tried making a new table using acrylic slats, however when the laser cut any areas of wood that were resting on the acrylic, I got burn marks on the wood. Also, using this method there is no way for me to tape down any warped sheets to flatten them down as I can do with the grid table.

Thanks.

John Lifer
12-10-2019, 12:27 PM
Clean if you need to. Simple green will get rid of it. Have you tried something as simple as a sheet of paper laid on the table? would keep any residue off of the back and is cheap enough to toss regularly.
Magnets work well to hold down also. I've got a ton of little to large hanging around on my machines.

Mike Hollingsworth
12-10-2019, 12:37 PM
Another reason to have a Track Saw.

Joe Pelonio
12-11-2019, 7:24 AM
Before cutting, apply transfer tape to the back of the sheets. It will take a few seconds to peel them off after but no more dirty marks.