PDA

View Full Version : Shaving

Bert Kemp
12-09-2019, 12:47 PM
Well I use to shave everyday and get my blades from an online shave club. Over the last year or so since I don't get out as much I find I don't shave everyday sometimes I let it got for 2 or 3 days. Then I find my dbl blade razors don't do the job they get clogged up pretty quick and hard to rinse them out.
So whats a good solution ? Will s safety do a better job on a 3 day old beard.? I think I'd slit my throat :eek: with a straight razor. What do you guys do?or use.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-09-2019, 12:56 PM
Bert, I have the same problem and I use a Schick Quatro. Two or three years ago, I bought a good German made double-edge razor and German made stainless steel blades. I take a low dose aspirin daily at the recommendation of my personal doctor. I quit bleeding after a while from all the nicks I got. This double edged razor type is what I used in the late 60's when I was in the US Navy and could pass Captain's inspection without any blood. I went back to the Schick Quatro. I feel my beard has changed as I've aged. Thinking back I remember my father-in-law asking in his 60's what I used because he had the same problem. I think one's beard goes from peach fuzz to hard to cut as a natural progression. Like you I now shave every couple days.

Please report back if you find an economical solution. I gave up.

Jim Becker
12-09-2019, 1:30 PM
I only "shave" my neck. The rest gets trimmed with the same high quality clippers (Andis) I use for my hair with a #1 or #1.5 ceramic cutter for the task. It's been a very long time since I completely shaved my face...and a lot less issue with ingrown hairs as a result. My neck I shave "dry" after getting out of the shower. A "Quatro" type blade like Ken mentions lasts for a couple months no problem, even if I go three to four days before I remember to clean that part up.

roger wiegand
12-09-2019, 1:57 PM
Haven't shaved for 30+ years, not going to start now. I still remember the pain.

Bert Kemp
12-09-2019, 2:03 PM
Well Jim and Roger say quit shaving LOL thats real economical but not sure if I want to do that. Many moons ago I use to stop for the hunting season. then about 15 years ago I let it go for a year but got sick of the scraggly look. :eek: I'll see what else comes up here .

Zachary Hoyt
12-09-2019, 2:08 PM
I have a Braun foil shaver that works well for me. I have been using it for about 8 years and it still is working, though the trimmer part on the side stopped running this summer. With actual razor blades I got razor burn very easily, with the electric I can shave every day and never bleed but sometimes, especially in the winter, I let it go for a few days between. I very rarely go anywhere anyhow.
Zach

Roger Feeley
12-09-2019, 2:18 PM
+1 on the beard. I stopped shaving my senior year in college and never went back. My 36 year old daughter has never seen my full face. I keep the beard trimmed with a 1948 vintage Wahl clipper that my dad bought and a #3 guard. When I trim the beard, I take the guard off and trim the neck.

Jim Becker
12-09-2019, 4:42 PM
Bert, that's the thing...using a clipper, say once or twice a week and there is no "scraggly" because it keeps the growth even and neat looking, whether or not it's really short or longer by preference. I keep mine relatively short...1mm at trim and I don't let it get more than about 4mm long before attending to it. It beats the adverse effects of trying to stay "smooth" that I've suffered from since, well...the beginning. Like Roger, I do my neck, too, usually when I clip my hair. A 000 blade takes care of that. (My Andis clipper isn't the "adjustable" type...it uses discrete blades and I buy the ceramic versions exclusively)

Tom M King
12-09-2019, 4:47 PM
I also only shave under my neck. Try the Skinguard razors. I forget the name brand. They are far different, and better than anything prior. That razor doesn't feel like it's doing anything, but does a suitable job in one pass.

Steve Demuth
12-09-2019, 6:48 PM
Haven't shaved for 30+ years, not going to start now. I still remember the pain.

Going on 45 years since I either shaved or had a haircut more complicated than reaching behind my head and lopping a couple inches off the ponytail. Keep it simple.

John K Jordan
12-09-2019, 8:53 PM
Well I use to shave everyday and get my blades from an online shave club. Over the last year or so since I don't get out as much I find I don't shave everyday sometimes I let it got for 2 or 3 days. Then I find my dbl blade razors don't do the job they get clogged up pretty quick and hard to rinse them out.
So whats a good solution ? Will s safety do a better job on a 3 day old beard.? I think I'd slit my throat :eek: with a straight razor. What do you guys do?or use.

I use a small trim cliipper in places followed by an electric with three rotary blades.

I had a beard continuously for over 20 years. One day I shaved it off. My kids didn't know me. My co-workers said "Grow it back." My wife was upset since everyone said I looked 10 years younger - she didn't have a beard to shave off so she could look 10 years younger.

Ever few years I shave it again just for fun. For even more fun try this, guaranteed to get some comments:

JKJ

Jim Koepke
12-10-2019, 1:21 AM
Schick Xtreme 3 works well for me. Like you my beard is shaved every 2 to 3 days. The difference may be that my shaving has been done in the shower for a couple of decades, no need for a mirror. My shaving lather comes from a bar of Cetaphil Gentile Cleansing soap, others likely work fine.

Most other razors are rather uncomfortable on my skin.

Usually my beard grows in the winter and is trimmed by summer. This year a beard hasn't been started. If it gets colder, then maybe.

jtk

Bert Kemp
12-10-2019, 1:41 AM
I have a Braun foil shaver that works well for me. I have been using it for about 8 years and it still is working, though the trimmer part on the side stopped running this summer. With actual razor blades I got razor burn very easily, with the electric I can shave every day and never bleed but sometimes, especially in the winter, I let it go for a few days between. I very rarely go anywhere anyhow.
ZachI don't know of any elec razor that can shave a 3 day beard off clean. I've tried the Brauns foil and the Nerelco tri head they work ok if you shave daily but not on a 3 day growth

Stan Calow
12-10-2019, 8:49 AM
I don't know of any elec razor that can shave a 3 day beard off clean.

When I let it go for a few days, I use a beard trimmer (small electric clippers with about a one inch cutting head) to bring things down to a manageable length and then go over it with a disposable or safety razor for the clean shave. I found keeping a neat beard or goatee to be as much work as shaving every day, so gave that up.

Paul F Franklin
12-10-2019, 9:08 AM
I don't have a very thick beard growth, but the hairs are thick and tough. I used a braun for years until they cheapened the blades to the point where they dulled quickly and were stupid expensive to replace. I now use a phillips tri head wet/dry electric razor and shave in the shower using Creamo shave cream. With a three day growth, I find I have to take one quick pass and then rinse the clippings out of the razor (which is easy since I'm in the shower), take a quick swipe with my hand to redistribute the shave cream, and then shave as normal. The creamo is good stuff; it lubricates your skin without softening the hairs to the point where they lay over, and you just use a tiny bit of it for each shave. It doesn't make a foam, it just acts as a lubricant for the skin.

Bill Dufour
12-10-2019, 9:59 AM
This is a "working" forum so how about the rolls razor or similar that have a lifetime blade and a built in sharpening stone device in the case. Then we can discuss how many strokes to sharpen it , what grit etc.
Does Festool make an electric shaver?
Bill D.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls_Razor

Zachary Hoyt
12-10-2019, 4:58 PM
I don't know of any elec razor that can shave a 3 day beard off clean. I've tried the Brauns foil and the Nerelco tri head they work ok if you shave daily but not on a 3 day growth
For me I can shave off a 2-3 day beard with the Braun foil shaver, if it's longer I have to use the trimmer attachment to knock off most of the length and then shave as normal. I guess everyone's beard is different in how it reacts, probably. I shave mostly every day in the summer, sometimes only once a week in winter.
Zach

Alan Rutherford
12-10-2019, 5:19 PM
... dbl blade razors don't do the job they get clogged up pretty quick and hard to rinse them out. So whats a good solution ? .. Take an old toothbrush and brush out the blades. Brush away from the sharp edges - you don't want to shave the toothbrush. Sometimes poking with the bristles from the back helps.

Jim Koepke
12-10-2019, 6:00 PM
An electric razor won't handle this:

This takes an electric hair cutter or scissors. Those can then be followed by either my straight razor or a disposable Schick.

jtk

Derek Meyer
12-10-2019, 7:04 PM
I use a Braun Series 9 foil shaver now. I've used Norelco and Panasonic in the past, and other models of the Braun, but the series 9 gives me the best shave I've ever had. I can shave a 3 day growth of beard with it, but it will pull and hurt, so I try not to go more than a day or two without shaving. It can be used wet or dry and both produce a good shave.

I used blades for the first year I shaved (at 13) and then got a Norelco for Christmas. I've never gone back to blades.

Rob Luter
12-10-2019, 7:24 PM
I have the best luck shaving in the shower with a suction cup shaving mirror. I use BIC Flex 4 disposable razors and either Creamo or King of Shaves. Creamo is a little more traditional in that it lathers very slightly. King of shaves is a gel that is as slick as snot on a doorknob. It's like rubbing KY on your face. Both yield a very close shave with no bleeding or razor rash. I tried an electric shaver once. I think I damaged it. I know I damaged my face.

Bert Kemp
12-11-2019, 1:02 AM
This is a "working" forum so how about the rolls razor or similar that have a lifetime blade and a built in sharpening stone device in the case. Then we can discuss how many strokes to sharpen it , what grit etc.
Does Festool make an electric shaver?
Bill D.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls_Razor
But then they would have to start that sharpening forum everyone's so scared off LOL LOL LOL

Bert Kemp
12-11-2019, 1:06 AM
I knew this would get a lot of response do this do that yikes what do I do. I now have a 6 day growth so maybe I'll just let it go. I do have to shave the neck tho it itches LOL

Joe Mioux
12-11-2019, 2:51 AM
I started shaving in the shower back @1980. My neck used to get a lot of nicks and razor burn prior to the move into the shower. I dont use a mirror, just shave and use a gillette Mach (something) with four or five blades. Even with every day shaving, the razor blades easily last a month. I think it is actually easier on face skin if on a very rare occasion i dont shave a day. the beard gets softer.

Rich Engelhardt
12-11-2019, 5:22 AM
Picked up a good old school safety razor a couple years back.
Forgot how well they worked & how close they shaved.

Picked up another "clamshell" or "butterfly" type about 6 months ago.
Works even better & is easier to replace the blade.

I have a fairly light beard & can go a couple days in between - the white hair my beard is now doesn't show all that much so I can get away with that.
Good thing too since the Symbicort inhaler I use has the side effect of making my skin extremely sensitive & I cut/bruise very easily.
The doc says it can't be the Symbicort - but - other than eating more vegetables the last couple years,,,,,,that's the only thing different.

Jason Roehl
12-11-2019, 5:33 AM
I use the Gillette Mach 5 (the ones that have the oscillation feature)--those blades last a month easy, and have no problems on skipping a day or two of heavy growth. They're also open-backed, so they rinse out easily (better when rinsed in a sinkful of water than under running water).

Back in my dorm days, to save time, I started shaving before showering, because I could do it while I stood in line. That took care of any nicks and cuts.

I only shave my neck from 10/1 to Easter. I'm still using the blade that was on the razor on 9/30, which was already about a month old.

Jim Koepke
12-11-2019, 2:30 PM
I knew this would get a lot of response do this do that yikes what do I do. I now have a 6 day growth so maybe I'll just let it go. I do have to shave the neck tho it itches LOL

A new beard tends to start itching after about a week. It usually stops itching after a couple of weeks.

jtk

Bill Carey
12-11-2019, 3:47 PM
I shave my entire head and neck every other day or so in the shower, no mirror. I use Harry's blades and razor and gel. Has not been any blood letting in years. Not even nicks. Beard and stach get trimmed weekly with a Wahl trimmer. For the beard trimming, SWMBO has banished me to the basement sink, or outside when its warm. I found that the mirror on my golf cart works great.

Roger Nair
12-11-2019, 10:00 PM
Bert, I prefer shaving with vintage razors and I have a particular fondness for GEM Micromatic razors. Either the open comb model or the ClogPruf model will whisk away a week long growth, The open combs date from the 1930's and the ClogPruf's from the 1940's with an interruption for the war. The most important suggestion is to use a tallow shaving soap and to keep the razor's cap flat to the face. Use GEM stainless coated blades. The Micromatic series is top notch and I happily shave without cuts or irritation and achieve very close clean shaves. The razors can be found on Ebay and with selective buying, I have a stable of vintage razors most under $20 for each razor and shipping.

Bruce Page
12-11-2019, 11:55 PM
Retirement is wonderful, I shave every Wednesday & Sunday whether I need it or not. And of course on special occasions that LOML points out to me.. I’ve used the Gillette Sensor for as long as I can remember and never saw any need for spending more money on the gadget razors.

Jerome Stanek
12-12-2019, 6:27 AM
I tried the Braun and the blades didn't last very long. New blades for it were just as much as a new shaver. I brought this up at a trade show with Braun saying that I didn't think they were supposed to be disposable shavers. The big shots didn't like that

Derek Meyer
12-12-2019, 5:59 PM
I tried the Braun and the blades didn't last very long. New blades for it were just as much as a new shaver. I brought this up at a trade show with Braun saying that I didn't think they were supposed to be disposable shavers. The big shots didn't like that

I went through this a couple of years ago with my Braun shaver. I tried to find replacement heads, but only a couple of places had them and they wanted $120 for a set. I waited 4 or 5 months and was able to get them for $40 from several places. This is for the Series 9 shaver.

Jim Koepke
12-12-2019, 7:23 PM
I waited 4 or 5 months and was able to get them for $40 from several places.

$40 buys me about a 5 year supply of Schick Extreme 3 razors.

jtk

Dave Lehnert
12-12-2019, 8:24 PM
I have very good luck with Harry's razors.
Walmart, Target and Meijer's has them in store now.

I shave 6 days a week and get a month out of a blade cartage. My beard is not thick, more of a 5 o'clock shadow every morning.
After I rinse out the razor with water I spray the blades with a mist bottle of alcohol.

Mike Null
12-13-2019, 8:32 AM
I use Gillette disposables that I buy from Sam's. I shave 3 or 4 times a week and a razor is good for 3 shaves. The razors are less than a dollar a piece.

Chris Damm
12-13-2019, 8:54 AM
0$ buys me 10 lifetimes supply of razors. I have not shaved or trimmed my face since August 1970 and then because I had to walk my sister down the aisle and she wanted me clean shaven. I first had to shave in 7th grade and by the time I was a senior I had to shave 3 times a day.