PDA

View Full Version : Using a woodworking bandsaw to cut ice blocks

Jeffrey Kretz
12-02-2019, 4:59 PM
A friend of mind has asked if he could use my bandsaw to cut ice blocks.

My gut reaction is "no".

Does anyone here have any experience with using a bandsaw to cut ice?

Frank Pratt
12-02-2019, 5:13 PM
I suppose there are worse things to do with a saw, but i'd certainly say no. There is too much stuff in a woodworking band saw that can rust and it probably wouldn't be safe either, because of all the water that's going to go everywhere.

Matt Day
12-02-2019, 5:13 PM
It’s a terrible idea. Similar to using it to cut meat. chips will go everywhere, like you’re spraying your saw with a hose, and it’ll rust.

Erik Loza
12-02-2019, 5:43 PM
I once sold a bandsaw to a jewelry artist who cut soapstone. He apparently devised some sort of water sprayer to keep the blade cool. I asked him how he kept the machine from rusting. His reply: "I don't".

Erik

Jeffrey Kretz
12-02-2019, 6:04 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

He'll have to purchase his own bandsaw to ruin.

:-)

Dan Hahr
12-02-2019, 7:16 PM
Tell him to make friends with a butcher.
Dan

johnny means
12-02-2019, 7:20 PM
I've used water spray to turn my wood bandsaw into a metal cutting bandsaw. Just wipe it down and blow it dry afterwards.

Timothy Thorpe Allen
12-02-2019, 7:55 PM
Move the bandsaw outside (if it is below freezing) the night before (so the saw can equilibrate), and clean the ice chips off before they melt.

Then WD-40..... (Water Displacement formula, 40th attempt).

Stewart Lang
12-02-2019, 8:09 PM
A few months ago I saw a Jet 18" bandsaw on FB marketplace that was used for specifically cutting ice. They had laminated a stainless steel top over the cast iron top, and they wiped everything down after each use. It looked in great shape really. Not sure what they used for a blade though.

So people definitely do it. I'd just make sure it's dedicated to that specific purpose.

Alex Zeller
12-02-2019, 8:17 PM
I often see meat cutting band saws on craig's list. They usually don't sell for a lot of money. But they are made to be washed. If he's only got a couple to do then a chainsaw will work.

Bruce Wrenn
12-02-2019, 9:15 PM
Tell him to go buy a new electric chain saw. That's what ice carvers use.

John K Jordan
12-02-2019, 10:52 PM
I often see meat cutting band saws on craig's list. They usually don't sell for a lot of money. But they are made to be washed. If he's only got a couple to do then a chainsaw will work.

Northern Tool sells a cheap meat bandsaw, or used to. I bought one once for a friend.

JKJ