PDA

View Full Version : A visit to Joe Unni and Unni Woodworks

Rob Blaustein
12-18-2005, 11:57 PM
I spent the better part of Saturday at Joe Unni's spacious and well-equipped cabinet shop in Lawrence, MA (Unni Woodworks (http://www.unniwoodworks.com)) and had a great time! I've been talking to Joe by email and phone about a project I'm working on and about woodworking in general. I'm a beginner and don't get to see experienced woodworkers in action so asked Joe if he wouldn't mind my checking his place out. What a great guy--he not only welcomed me with open arms, he spent most of the day going over design ideas and cutting wood with me. We ended up building a small-scale cabinet carcass using the Kreg jig and Joe gave me some great tips on how to use pocket holes. He even began to teach me how to use a cabinet scraper but I'm afraid I wasn't too good a student--Joe kept on getting nice shavings and I kept getting dust. Guess I'll have to drop on by for another lesson one of these days...

Thanks Joe, that was really fun and I hope to see you again some time soon.

--Rob

lou sansone
12-19-2005, 5:57 AM
Its always nice to visit fellow creekers and get some education in the process. looks like you guys are in my neck of the woods

lou

Joe Unni
12-19-2005, 5:44 PM
Rob's words are too kind.

Here is how I see it. Comfort level goes hand-in-hand with confidence. Confidence leads to more successes (i.e. fewer mistakes). And more success (however small) leads to more enjoyment. And that's why we do this!

Hey, I'm just glad I had the opportunity to help a guy who humbly asked for assistance.

And Rob, you're a fine student with LOT's of ambition. I like that. Once you get your feet "wetter" you'll find you'll be able to apply all this stuff that you read about. Just jump in...the water is fine!! Let me know when you want to come by again. You're always welcome.

Lou, CT is not too far away. Maybe some other meetings are in order.

Thanks again Rob,
-joe

Dave Tinley
12-19-2005, 6:34 PM
Reading this and some other similar posts has me wondering if we couldn't start a mentoring program??
Maybe a perminant post or sticky where some of the more experienced woodworkers could post their location, shop experience, etc and others that are looking for some in person guidence could contact a person nearby for some one on one. It could be at either shop.
What do y'all think??

Dave

Dan Larson
12-19-2005, 7:03 PM
Reading this and some other similar posts has me wondering if we couldn't start a mentoring program??
Maybe a perminant post or sticky where some of the more experienced woodworkers could post their location, shop experience, etc and others that are looking for some in person guidence could contact a person nearby for some one on one. It could be at either shop.
What do y'all think??

Dave

Dave, this is an excellent idea! Perhaps you should start a new thread in order to get this idea out to a wider audience?

Dan

Steve Clardy
12-19-2005, 7:32 PM
Yea!! Sounds great!!

Dan Forman
12-19-2005, 10:08 PM
Sounds like a great idea to me.

Dan

Rob Blaustein
12-19-2005, 10:20 PM
A great idea--I second the motion. Then again, it's already been seconded, and I guess even thirded and fourthed. OK, I'll fifth it, whatever that means. Anyway, let's do it.

George Robin
12-20-2005, 7:40 AM
Joe,
I was just visiting your site (nice work), and noticed your "special pricing for military personnel". Let me just say thank you, It's nice to see some people really care about our servicemen (and women).
Have a nice holiday season.
George

Joe Unni
12-20-2005, 8:33 AM
..."special pricing for military personnel". Let me just say thank you...

George,

I feel personally indebted to our GI's. They deserve it. I only wish it could be more.

And thanks for your kind words.

Happy Holidays!!
-joe