PDA

View Full Version : Irritating Black Friday Special...

Derek Arita
12-02-2019, 11:55 AM
The price is great on this tool, but I can't get them to ship to me in my state! I've lost out on several deals because of this. Sure wish buyers would find a way to offer a similar deal on the tool, for those of use who live in the "can't ship" states. Bums me out every time!
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Sub-Compact-Band-Saw-Kit-with-One-4-0-Ah-Battery-Charger-and-Bag-2429-20-48-59-2440B/310740755

Bryan Lisowski
12-02-2019, 12:34 PM
Buy online and have it shipped to the store near you.

Derek Arita
12-02-2019, 12:44 PM
Tried that...doesn’t work...same state. If I ship to someone out of state, then have them ship to me, well, there goes the deal.

Mike Henderson
12-02-2019, 1:03 PM
Which state do you live in that they won't ship to you? And do you know why they won't ship to your state?

Mike

Ellen Benkin
12-02-2019, 1:06 PM
Why can't they ship to you?

Derek Arita
12-02-2019, 1:30 PM
Some regulations I’m sure. There are other states as well.

glenn bradley
12-02-2019, 1:56 PM
Why can't they ship to you?

I'm guessing the OP is in Alaska or Hawaii.

Tom M King
12-02-2019, 2:22 PM
That's a nice little bandsaw too. I use mine way more than I thought I would when I bought it.

eugene thomas
12-02-2019, 2:50 PM
Well. Their went $131.00

scott lipscomb
12-02-2019, 3:27 PM
dang, that's a smoking deal on a really handy tool if you cut any metal.

Doug Garson
12-02-2019, 3:53 PM
What you need is a rucker. Have it shipped to a forum member who lives in a nearby state and then arrange for someone who is travelling from there to somewhere near you and arrange to meet. On another forum I belong to (hint north of the 49th parallel) we have a swap meet section which includes a section to post rucker requests. Haven't used it myself but have seen threads where stuff gets delivered hundreds of kilometers (hint) and sometimes involve several ruckers helping out fellow forum members, there is even a term (can't remember what the term is) for someone who picks up an item and holds it until a rucker becomes available to pick it up .
Still curious what state you are in and your hesitancy to divulge it. I'm in BC.

Derek Arita
12-02-2019, 4:09 PM
Sorry...no hesitancy...I'm in CA.

David Bassett
12-02-2019, 4:23 PM
Sorry...no hesitancy...I'm in CA.

I click your link and it does say they can't ship to CA (among others), but I can't think of why. (No obvious VOC's. Can't air freight LI batts, but ground is OK. Etc.) It also says they will ship to me and/or the Santa Clara store. (Though I'm not going to buy one to test that.)

They seem all screwed up. Have you tried calling their Customer Service? They should at least give you an explanation.

Derek Arita
12-02-2019, 4:33 PM
I click your link and it does say they can't ship to CA (among others), but I can't think of why. (No obvious VOC's. Can't air freight LI batts, but ground is OK. Etc.) It also says they will ship to me and/or the Santa Clara store. (Though I'm not going to buy one to test that.)

They seem all screwed up. Have you tried calling their Customer Service? They should at least give you an explanation.

Yes...I did call CS and they couldn't give me an exact explanation. They even tried to send it to a store near me and couldn't do it.

johnny means
12-02-2019, 4:47 PM
Have you tried walking into the store and asking for it?

Derek Arita
12-02-2019, 4:52 PM

Online only, special buy.

Mark Carlson
12-02-2019, 5:45 PM
I didnt go thru with the purchase but it seemed like it was willing to ship to Glendale CA, 91201.

Derek Arita
12-02-2019, 5:49 PM
I didnt go thru with the purchase but it seemed like it was willing to ship to Glendale CA, 91201.

Ya..takes you all the way to nearly the end, then it cuts you off.

David Bassett
12-02-2019, 6:08 PM
Yes...I did call CS and they couldn't give me an exact explanation. They even tried to send it to a store near me and couldn't do it.

OK, evidence they're all screwed up. (Like we needed more.)

I notice the difference in expectations. Here HD being HD, oh well. In a couple other threads angst because LV's servers got backed up at the start of Cyber-Monday (and they didn't make enough 2nds to go around. :) )

This probably belongs in the meme thread, but fits HD's service model:

Derek Arita
12-02-2019, 6:34 PM
What irritates me is, HD is big enough to ask Milwaukee to come up with a deal on that tool that could be offered to all states, instead of accepting one that excludes 5 or 6 states. That tool and those batteries are sold together in other packages that HD offers, so what the what? All they're doing is pissing off lots of loyal customers.

Stephen Rosenthal
12-02-2019, 7:33 PM
That’s really weird. I live in San Francisco and ordered one of their special buys (corded tool) last week on a free ship to store basis. No problems. Can’t imagine why but I wonder if it has something to do with the battery.

Derek Arita
12-02-2019, 7:37 PM
From the last "can't ship to your state" with HD...I'm thinking something about the charger or the bag doesn't pass some restriction. Could be an older charger or maybe something about the bag production that conflicts. At any rate, I can't believe that HD couldn't ask Milwaukee to drop the offending item in the package, so that it could be shipped to all states. Shoot...it would be a deal with just tool and battery!

Derek Arita
12-02-2019, 7:45 PM
That’s really weird. I live in San Francisco and ordered one of their special buys (corded tool) last week on a free ship to store basis. No problems. Can’t imagine why but I wonder if it has something to do with the battery.

Every special buy is different, as it contains different products that may or may not be effected by state restrictions.

Bryan Lisowski
12-02-2019, 8:04 PM
I would reach out to these guys and see if they will match the price, find out if they will ship to you, or why it can't be sent to CA.

https://www.toolnut.com/milwaukee-tools/milwaukee-m12-cordless-tools/milwaukee-2429-20-m12-cordless-sub-compact-band-saw.html

Derek Arita
12-02-2019, 8:15 PM
I would reach out to these guys and see if they will match the price, find out if they will ship to you, or why it can't be sent to CA.

https://www.toolnut.com/milwaukee-tools/milwaukee-m12-cordless-tools/milwaukee-2429-20-m12-cordless-sub-compact-band-saw.html

Ha, ha...just saw that deal. I might jump on it. The price is $149 - $25, so that's not bad. I already have plenty of batteries and a couple of chargers.

Jim Becker
12-02-2019, 8:16 PM
Tool Nut is a good vendor...I've always been happy with them.

Bill Dufour
12-02-2019, 10:46 PM
It may have to do with them no longer making anything in the USA. Probably sold some exclusive dealer territory by state or county.
Bill D.

Steve Rozmiarek
12-03-2019, 8:45 AM
Probably "Contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer".

Cool little saw, now I want one...

Jacob Reverb
12-03-2019, 9:08 AM
Probably "Contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer".

...or was once reported to have been shipped through the same zip code as a lead fishing sinker. (gasp)

Those portabands are great tools. I don't have a cordless one, but I use my corded one all the time for metal fabrication. One of my most-used tools for that...

Art Mann
12-03-2019, 1:59 PM
Sounds to me like the real problem is that the State legislatures in the Exception States are creating rules that limit consumer choice rather than a problem with HD. California is famous for doing that.

william watts
12-03-2019, 3:31 PM
It could be Milwaukee produced a model, and gave special pricing to HD. Then made it unavailable to a Milwaukee dealer structure in some states. Their trying to avoid rebellion amoung their dealers or bowing to pressure from HD. If they have dealers.

Derek Arita
12-03-2019, 7:38 PM

Online offer only and not carried in store.

Alex Zeller
12-03-2019, 11:14 PM
Maybe that saw is known to cause cancer in California. All kidding aside pretty much every state has stupid laws on the books that prevent something like this to be sold. It could be as stupid as the wrong thread was used to sew the bag.

Derek Arita
12-04-2019, 10:40 AM
Sounds to me like the real problem is that the State legislatures in the Exception States are creating rules that limit consumer choice rather than a problem with HD. California is famous for doing that.

Can't help thinking that HD buyers could work with Milwaukee to work deals that are available to everyone and still adhere to those rules. After all, isn't that what HD is in business to do?

Edwin Santos
12-04-2019, 10:54 AM
Not sure if you're still in the market for the item, but if you are, try sending an email to HD and explain your frustration. You might be pleasantly surprised at the response.

I say this having emailed HD in the past and getting a prompt call back from someone in Atlanta with the authority to accommodate my request.
If you do so, please report back on what happens.

John Lanciani
12-04-2019, 12:01 PM
It may well be that Milwaukee has a contract with another distributor in CA that precludes allowing HD from making internet sales to customers in your state.

Dave Sabo
12-04-2019, 12:58 PM
It may well be that Milwaukee has a contract with another distributor in CA that precludes allowing HD from making internet sales to customers in your state.

I'd seriously doubt that.

HD has got to be Milwaukee's biggest customer / distributor by a wide margin. When the parent (TTI) is factored in with the Ridgid, Ryobi and Empire brands the Depot carries - it's a whale of a customer. Perhaps Amazon has similar volume across all sellers and avenues. Even if they do, they're don't have the same stick the Depot buyers do.

Frank Pratt
12-04-2019, 6:44 PM
I'd seriously doubt that.

HD has got to be Milwaukee's biggest customer / distributor by a wide margin. When the parent (TTI) is factored in with the Ridgid, Ryobi and Empire brands the Depot carries - it's a whale of a customer. Perhaps Amazon has similar volume across all sellers and avenues. Even if they do, they're don't have the same stick the Depot buyers do.

You bring up a good point, but I wonder just what market share of Milwaukee sales HD holds. Maybe the biggest single customer, but I very much doubt that the sell even a quarter. Around here, most any tool vendor has a large Milwaukee section in their store. Lowes is about the only major outlet that doesn't carry Milwaukee.