PDA

View Full Version : brass milling advice wanted

Dan Forman
12-18-2005, 11:44 PM
I have some 1/16" thick brass flat stock that I want to cut a slot in. Brass is about 5" x 3/4", the slot will be 1/4" wide and centered down the length of the piece, will become an adjustable lid stay for a box. Any ideas on the best way to accomplish this?

I seem to recall vaguely someone saying that this could be done with a router. I wouldn't want to try that without some confirmation.

I haven't been able to find any readymade hardware designed to keep a lid open at any angle, against a bit of force. What I have in mind is a small painting box, where the lid functions as an easel to hold the painting. I'm working on one similar to the one in this pic, which I found on another forum. The one in the picture had a fixed lid support, whereas I would like to be able to vary the angle of the lid if necessary. I have looked in all of the catalogs, and can't find any hardware that will do the job. It has to be durable, for this sort of setup is used for painting on location. If anyone is aware of a source for something like this, I would be most appreciative to learn.

Dan

Dev Emch
12-19-2005, 12:08 AM
First let me say that the best way of doing this is with a milling machine. But, in the absence of a milling machine, how would one go about this?

1). You can drill a series of holes and then file the slot into shape with metal files. Metal files have been called the poor man's milling machine. Before you laugh, I have seen afgan rebels cloning many parts for the AK-47 with nothing more than metal files and a tiny bandsaw. The photos I saw came from a buddy of mine who was there. He also showed me a nice persian rug... albeit one with a huge AK-47 as its motif.

2). Since brass is relatively soft, you can use carbide to cut it. Off hand, I think that if you sandwich the brass between two scarificial sheets of wood about 1/8 inch thick each, then you can use a router with a carbide spiral bit. Just take your time and let the bit do the cutting. Also, here it would be really nice to have a jig to control the router. This approach will produce the results equal to that of a milling machine.

John Lucas
12-19-2005, 1:06 AM
I love the router and have plenty of bits but would use a jig saw with metaal blade,,,easy cut. file to smooth things out. sandwich between thin plywood and edges will be a bit smoother and you wont scracth the brass surface.

Frank Chaffee
12-19-2005, 2:22 AM
Dan,
If you need to cut a slot in brass, the advice given by Dev and John Lucas is sound. A file is a very viable and accurate metal working tool. If you choose to drill a series of holes along the length of the slot, drill the end holes accurately, then drill the intermediary holes slightly undersize and file to finish fit.

If I were to cut the slot between two holes with a saber saw where there is only ¼” width on either side of the slot, I would glue the brass strip down to thin sacrificial wood to prevent distortion of the sides. Again, file to fit.

I cannot speak to the use of a router here as I have never tried it.

As an alternative to slotted strips for adjustable easel angle, you may wish to consider a pivoting solid rod, locked in place with a knob thru a pivoting eye.

I know that whatever you come up with will be terrific.

Frank

Randy Meijer
12-19-2005, 4:02 AM
I think you could do it with a carbide tipped blade on a table saw using some sacrificial wood as a sandwich and a plunge cut. And then a little fine tuning with a file.

Wes Bischel
12-19-2005, 9:48 AM
Dan,

Would something like this work? Maybe if you changed out the screw on the plate with a thumbscrew or other? Just another way to solve the problem.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4214

Friction Lid Support
This support works on lids and is held in place by friction. It opens to 68° or may be set to other angles with changes in plate position. Complete with screws. Brass plated. Overall length 6-1/8".

FWIW,

Wes

Squizzy Taylor
12-20-2005, 7:27 AM
I seem to recall vaguely someone saying that this could be done with a router. I wouldn't want to try that without some confirmation.

Hi dan
I am only new here but was a Marine Engineer for 30 years
Don't go near it with a router, Dev was right drill a series of holes use a fret saw or a file , and you will get the job done first time safely

Rgds

Squizzy