PDA

View Full Version : Makita compact router plunge base - what guide bushings?

Rich Engelhardt
11-30-2019, 4:31 PM
I just got the plunge base for the Makita compact router(s).
The fixed base looks like it takes standard PC guide bushings.

The opening on the plunge bas is way too big - so - I assume there's an adapter for it so it can take the PC guide bushings - -- or - does Makita make guide bushings that fit it?

Carl Beckett
12-01-2019, 5:08 AM
Believe there is an adapter to convert to accept standard guides. I bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007SXH78/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seemed like a lot to me, there was a cheaper one available but I wasnt 100% certain it would fit properly so paid up for the makita branded (likely made in the same factory)

(btw this was for a compact cordless router, if the same)

Rich Engelhardt
12-01-2019, 6:36 AM
Carl - thanks!

I just got the corded Makita kit - that includes the plunge base. It was on sale from Tyler Tool for $121 - including tax & free shipping.
I may or may not keep the corded router & fixed base - I might just sell it and deduct what I get from what I paid for the kit.

I wanted the plunge base for my Makita cordless - but - that's like $70 pus tax for just that base.
The $121 kit came with a couple of wrenches - - - believe it or not, my one and only pet peeve about the Makita is how much of a nuisance it's been to find the right sized wrench for the collet!!! - - so, I was willing to buy the whole kit to get the wrenches & plunge base.

Curt Harms
12-01-2019, 8:25 AM
I've made a base from a piece of Lexan or other clear plastic. I needed a 1 3/16" & 1 3/8" forstner bit and hinge centering (Vix) bits. Use the existing base to mark the mounting holes in the new base using the Vix bit. Plunge base to mark the center hole. Takes less than an hour. I used 3/8" plastic and drilled the mounting holes a tad oversized and made them counter bored rather than counter sunk. That way there's a bit of adjustment. I haven't noticed any base movement but haven't used the base a lot either.