PDA

View Full Version : What planes do you regret buying?

Matt Lau
11-30-2019, 1:33 PM
With the Lee Valley Cyber Monday sale coming, I can feel my willpower weakening.
I'm leery of buying stuff that I don't need.

What tools have you regretted buying?

Please talk me out of buying more planes.

Rob Lee
11-30-2019, 1:39 PM
Resistance is futile........

With the Lee Valley Cyber Monday sale coming, I can feel my willpower weakening.

Kurtis Johnson
11-30-2019, 1:59 PM
A No. 6 Stanley Bailey. It was my first bench plane purchase. I’ve not lost sleep over it or anything, but I do regret it. It’s a size that does not lend itself to a clear role in my shop. It doesn’t joint like my my No. 7, and it’s way big as a jack. In attempt to invent a purpose for it, I thought for a while about using it as a dedicated shooting board plane, but my style does not, and probably never will, lend itself to utilizing a shooting board.

Collecting vintage user tools requires an opportunistic mindset, while being frugal requires being somewhat knowledgeable about the tool and the market for it. However, at auctions, and on eBay, there are many things of which I almost pulled the trigger, but didn’t, and at the end of the day was so glad I didn’t. I’ve learned to listen to that hesitant voice in my head.

Brian Holcombe
11-30-2019, 2:15 PM
I've yet to regret any of them.

mike holden
11-30-2019, 2:16 PM
My left-handed rebate plane (sold it at a loss to a left-handed woodworker), this was a Chris Schwarz influenced purchase - he suggest a pair and so I bought a pair. Not my finest decision. The right-handed version gets used a lot. The other is another Chris Schwarz influence - a scrub plane. In ten years I have found only one use for it.

Tony Shea
11-30-2019, 2:17 PM
A No. 6 Stanley Bailey. It was my first bench plane purchase. I’ve not lost sleep over it or anything, but I do regret it. It’s a size that does not lend itself to a clear role in my shop. It doesn’t joint like my my No. 7, and it’s way big as a jack. In attempt to invent a purpose for it, I thought for a while about using it as a dedicated shooting board plane, but my style does not, and probably never will, lend itself to utilizing a shooting board.

Collecting vintage user tools requires an opportunistic mindset, while being frugal requires being somewhat knowledgeable about the tool and the market for it. However, at auctions, and on eBay, there are many things of which I almost pulled the trigger, but didn’t, and at the end of the day was so glad I didn’t. I’ve learned to listen to that hesitant voice in my head.

That's interesting. I actually picked up a LV #6 during one of these Cyber Monday Lee Valley sales and it has become one of the most used planes I own. I've turned it into a jack plane and honestly prefer this over the #5's I used to use. I still break out the #5's for this purpose if the blade is dull in the #6 but am always bummed at the smaller size when I do. I just prefer the larger reference surface when flattening boards with the #6.

I can honestly say that I don't regret any of my plane purchases. I own a #2 LN, #4LN, LV BU Smoother, #5LN, #6LV, #7LN, #8LN, LV Small Plow, LV Rabbet, LN Small Shoulder, LV Medium & Large Shoulder, LN Router, LV Router, LN 60 1/2, LN 102 Bronze, LN & LV spokeshaves, LN Violin Makers Block, and some vintage Stanley's in there too. Writing them all out I will say that it seems excessive but I can honestly say they all get used. Out of all of them the #7 and #8 are the most redundant but I do use them both depending on what blade is sharper. My least favorite plane is probably the LV Spokeshave. I do find this spokeshave to be much more susceptible to chatter especially when compared to the LN Boggs version and the small bronze LN shaves. All in all I am happy with owning all these planes.

Andrew Seemann
11-30-2019, 2:58 PM
I don't particularly regret any of my plane purchases. Some I don't use as much as I thought I would, but all of mine were bought used and for the most part I picked them up on the cheap. I have the Millers Fall's version of the side rabbet block plane, it doesn't get much use, but it is really handy when you need it. I don't own any of the goofy trendy planes (that were never historically popular) like bevel up smoothers, bevel up jacks, 5 !/2s, 112 scrapers and the like. I probably would have regretted forking down the money to buy them new, as I doubt they would do much for me compared to the standard planes.

I do have a couple chisels I regret buying, but those were also used and on the cheap, so there isn't a lot of regret there either.

Frederick Skelly
11-30-2019, 3:00 PM
I have an LV BU Smoother (4 1/2 sized) that I almost never use. But like they say, I'll give it up when they pry it from my cold dead hands. :)

Dr. Lau, look seriously at an LV Shooting Plane - I bought mine at a cyber monday sale. LOVE that tool!

Jim Koepke
11-30-2019, 3:34 PM

There are very few tools of mine towards which regret has been felt. Mostly they were ones with damage whether known or not at the time of purchase.

For tools resting in a drawer or shelf unused a couple planes come to mind; a Stanley #95 Edge Plane and a #90 Bull Nose Shoulder plane.

It may be better to question the aspects of your work which might be better done with the aid of a new or different tool.

Is there any part of your woodworking being done by just getting by, like dovetail or tenon cutting? Would a new saw or a Knew Concepts saw help?

Are you using a bench chisel to cut mortises?

It often seems as with clamps, one can always make use of another marking gauge.

Maybe it is a fine rasp or another spokeshave put to use on carving chair legs.

One of my regrets may be purchasing too many 10" sweep braces.

jtk

Jim Koepke
11-30-2019, 3:42 PM
I have the Millers Fall's version of the side rabbet block plane

Andrew, could you post an image of this plane. It doesn't appear to be listed on the Old Tool Haven site > https://oldtoolheaven.com/blok/blok.htm

Could you possibly be referring to the Millers Falls equivalent of the Stanley #140?

jtk

roger wiegand
11-30-2019, 3:47 PM
I most regret a _very_ bad copy of a Stanley block plane with a mouth about a half inch wide, a twisted/skewed body, adjuster that wouldn't keep the blade in position for three strokes of the plane, an unsharpenable blade, and sharp casting burrs right where you want to put your hand. It put me completely off using hand planes for many years.

Mike Henderson
11-30-2019, 3:58 PM
I just bought too many. I really need to sell some of them. I bought multiples of some sizes thinking I'd always have another one to reach for when the first started getting dull. But I don't do that - I stop and sharpen.

I just need to make up my mind to go through my bench planes and sell off some of them.

Mike

steven c newman
11-30-2019, 4:19 PM
Kobalt #4 "smoother" from Lowes.....junk.

Matthew Hills
11-30-2019, 4:58 PM
This one is easy...
There are a few planes that I regret that I haven't tuned up yet (#3 type 11), as I want to use it...
And then there is a #5 that I want to dislike because it is so ugly, but it works so well with a widened mouth and cambered blade...

But the one that I do regret: Surform Pocket Plane...
https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/12NC36_AS05?$mdmain$
Ugh. I'd imagine this would be great for cub scouts to use to shape wood. I'd recommend 60-grit sandpaper glued onto blocks of wood, instead.

Matt

Eric Danstrom
11-30-2019, 5:04 PM
I can't say "regret" because they're worth more than I paid a decade ago. But I just can't see that I need #3, 4, 4 1/2, 5, 5 1/4, 5 1/2, 6, 7 and 8. I sold off the duplicates and now I'm deciding which ones to keep as users. Maybe 3, 5, 7 and the low angle jack and jointer are enough. I need to decide of if I'd rather have a 4 1/2 or a 5 1/2 instead of a 5. The 6 and 8 are moving on no matter what. I just don't need all the excess and just the users are quite a collection.

I meet a hoarder and the only difference is my junk is organized.

Doug Dawson
11-30-2019, 5:54 PM

Probably a Stanley #45. Super nifty looking, but mediocre at everything it does. Long since joined the pantheon of the departed.

Second would be a LN #140 skew block, You always have better options than that.

Prashun Patel
11-30-2019, 6:03 PM
Bullnose plane.

steven c newman
11-30-2019, 6:34 PM
Used a lot, when doing drywall.....

Frank Pratt
11-30-2019, 6:50 PM
This one is easy...
There are a few planes that I regret that I haven't tuned up yet (#3 type 11), as I want to use it...
And then there is a #5 that I want to dislike because it is so ugly, but it works so well with a widened mouth and cambered blade...

Ugh. I'd imagine this would be great for cub scouts to use to shape wood. I'd recommend 60-grit sandpaper glued onto blocks of wood, instead.

Matt

Those are a great tool for doing drywall work. I can't imagine that they'd be much good on wood though.

Mike Cornwall
11-30-2019, 7:06 PM
I was just reading along and thinking, “the time to buy anything is when I see it, don’t go looking.” Then I saw your post and punched in the distance to Villa Park! Ha

I just bought too many. I really need to sell some of them. I bought multiples of some sizes thinking I'd always have another one to reach for when the first started getting dull. But I don't do that - I stop and sharpen.

I just need to make up my mind to go through my bench planes and sell off some of them.

Mike

Kurtis Johnson
11-30-2019, 7:28 PM
That's interesting. I actually picked up a LV #6 during one of these Cyber Monday Lee Valley sales and it has become one of the most used planes I own. I've turned it into a jack plane and honestly prefer this over the #5's I used to use. I still break out the #5's for this purpose if the blade is dull in the #6 but am always bummed at the smaller size when I do. I just prefer the larger reference surface when flattening boards with the #6.

Hmm, I say while nodding. You must have Popeye-sized forearms to use a hulking No. 6 as a jack for hogging off material. Now, while I myself am no slouch at arm wrestling, I’d loath using a No. 6 for dimensioning lumber. It is nice to see No. 6’s get some love.

Jim Matthews
11-30-2019, 7:32 PM
ECE plow plane.

Shavings of any thickness jam, fence inevitably shifts.
Everything I detest in tools: fiddly, expensive and ineffective.

Andrew Seemann
11-30-2019, 7:42 PM
Andrew, could you post an image of this plane. It doesn't appear to be listed on the Old Tool Haven site > https://oldtoolheaven.com/blok/blok.htm

Could you possibly be referring to the Millers Falls equivalent of the Stanley #140?

jtk

It's the Miller's Falls version of the Stanley #140. I've always wanted a Stanley or LN #95, but I have never been willing to spend that much on a plane. The most expensive one I have is a Stanley compass plane (I don't remember the number) that I paid a little over $100 for. i was on the fence on that one, but it was an in-person buy, and the plane was in good condition, and I specifically needed a compass plane.

Andrew Seemann
11-30-2019, 7:46 PM
I can't say "regret" because they're worth more than I paid a decade ago. But I just can't see that I need #3, 4, 4 1/2, 5, 5 1/4, 5 1/2, 6, 7 and 8. I sold off the duplicates and now I'm deciding which ones to keep as users. Maybe 3, 5, 7 and the low angle jack and jointer are enough. I need to decide of if I'd rather have a 4 1/2 or a 5 1/2 instead of a 5. The 6 and 8 are moving on no matter what. I just don't need all the excess and just the users are quite a collection.

I meet a hoarder and the only difference is my junk is organized.

I have all those standard angle bench planes except the 5 1/4 and the 5 1/2. If I could only keep 3 of them, it would be 4, 5, and 7. Four would be 3, 4, 5, and 7. Fortunately, I don't need to get rid of any:)

Jim Koepke
11-30-2019, 9:33 PM
It's the Miller's Falls version of the Stanley #140. I've always wanted a Stanley or LN #95, but I have never been willing to spend that much on a plane. The most expensive one I have is a Stanley compass plane (I don't remember the number) that I paid a little over $100 for. i was on the fence on that one, but it was an in-person buy, and the plane was in good condition, and I specifically needed a compass plane.

A compass plane is a handy thing to have if one does curved work.

My Stanley #95 was one to get me biting the bullet and then not finding a lot of use for it. Maybe it should be given another try at cutting sliding dovetails. Otherwise one of these days it may get sold.

jtk

Josh Robinson
11-30-2019, 9:51 PM
LN medium shoulder plane. Maybe not regret, but definitely not as useful as I thought it would be.

justin sherriff
11-30-2019, 9:53 PM
A Stanley no 62 It is a nice looking plane but has a chip in the mouth. I do not use it for fear of chipping it out more. so it sits in the tool box and I think about selling it to buy a good crosscut saw witch I need more.
And a no.4 1/2 that I picked up at the same time I just seam to like using a no.3 more.

Stephen Rosenthal
11-30-2019, 10:00 PM
Well, a week ago I would have said my LN 97 1/2 chisel plane. But then I used it to flush trim 20 Cocobolo dowels and it was the perfect tool for the job. Left an absolutely beautiful and perfect surface. Initially I used a chisel, but Cocobolo being really hard and base material poplar being soft it was slow going. Didn’t relish spending a couple of hours on that job and then probably having to sand it smooth. Then I remembered my long idle chisel plane and, voila! Now it’s a certain keeper.

Anuj Prateek
11-30-2019, 10:08 PM
LV side rabbet. Used once and never found any use since.

Woodriver #5. Used for few months till I bought LV #7, which has become my default plane now.

Dominik Dudkiewicz
11-30-2019, 11:33 PM
Like others, I don't regret any of them. I think i'm at just over 40 atm (mix of LV, LN &HNT Gordon). Having said that, I no longer really use the LV Bevel up bench planes (perhaps only the BU smoother at times) I have as I always reach for the Bevel Down LN bench planes in preference. Nothing wrong with the LV, but I just prefer using the bevel down planes. I also use the large shoulder in preference to the medium 98% of the time. I'm still reluctant to even consider moving them on tho :confused:.

Part of me also wants a LN shooting plane vs the LV that I have. The LV works great and I love it, but something about the LN version calls to me haha.

The LV planes I love are the small plow, the Skew Rebate(s) and the large router.

As long as you buy quality I don't think there will be any real regrets!

Cheers, Dom

Dominik Dudkiewicz
11-30-2019, 11:35 PM
Actually, one I do regret is the LV Pull Shave. Just don't use it.

Derek Cohen
12-01-2019, 12:05 AM
Actually, one I do regret is the LV Pull Shave. Just don't use it.

Dom, which just goes to show how personal plane (tool) choice can be. I find the pull shave very useful for seats.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Dominik Dudkiewicz
12-01-2019, 12:37 AM
Dom, which just goes to show how personal plane (tool) choice can be. I find the pull shave very useful for seats.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Yeah, and that is why I bought it. But I ended up using a HNT radius plane and Claire Minihan Travisher instead. I will have to give it another chance!

Cheers, Dom

Josko Catipovic
12-01-2019, 8:21 AM
I regret most of the cheap planes I bought.

Rob Luter
12-01-2019, 10:03 AM
All the vintage planes I bought (then sold) while trying to develop a good user set. If I add up all the money they cost and all the time spent fettling and restoring them, I would have been ahead of the game just to buy a basic kit from Lie Nielsen. After I sold everything off, that's where I wound up anyway.

Bill Lyman
12-01-2019, 10:15 AM

Thank you for the reminding me of the sale. I have 15 planes, don't regret any of them, and will look at the sale to see if there is anything I want to add. :-)

Dave Anderson NH
12-01-2019, 11:34 AM
Stanley #78 in perfect as new condition. It is a nightmare for me to use as a left hander since you end up always inadvertently moving the depth adjuster. It's the only pan I've ever bought where being lefty caused me any grief.

Steven Mikes
12-01-2019, 11:49 AM
LV bevel up smoother. Once I got a vintage Stanley No. 4 I really haven't used it since. Going to put up for sale soon, if anyone is interested PM me ;)

Mike Manning
12-01-2019, 11:59 AM
Not attempting to hijack the thread but speaking of the LV Cyber Monday sale, I just checked their website and it doesn't appear that we can see what will actually be included in the sale ahead of time. Is that right?

Rob Lee
12-01-2019, 12:18 PM
Hi Mike -

That's correct - it all goes up at midnight.... and we'll all be there watching to see how the new servers handle the volume. Been load testing for a week now....and hopefully, we can handle three times the load of previous years....

There are LOTS of planes.....

And - there are discounted gift cards - so even if you don't see what you want, a discounted gift card can be used at a later date, on regular inventory (some exceptions (like Festool and Sawstop) apply)....

Cheers -

Rob
(sleepless in Ottawa....)

Not attempting to hijack the thread but speaking of the LV Cyber Monday sale, I just checked their website and it doesn't appear that we can see what will actually be included in the sale ahead of time. Is that right?

Mike Manning
12-01-2019, 1:47 PM
Hi Mike -

That's correct - it all goes up at midnight.... and we'll all be there watching to see how the new servers handle the volume. Been load testing for a week now....and hopefully, we can handle three times the load of previous years....

There are LOTS of planes.....

And - there are discounted gift cards - so even if you don't see what you want, a discounted gift card can be used at a later date, on regular inventory (some exceptions (like Festool and Sawstop) apply)....

Cheers -

Rob
(sleepless in Ottawa....)

Thanks for the reply Rob. Midnight...what's the time zone?

Rob Lee
12-01-2019, 4:38 PM
Hi Mike - EST!

(sorry to be slow replying....was out!)

Cheers -

Rob

Thanks for the reply Rob. Midnight...what's the time zone?

Stew Denton
12-01-2019, 9:16 PM
I have 4 I regretted. One was a tiny new stanley....cheap piece of essentially junk....at least it was pretty cheap. Two I bought in a hurry due to time constraints that I didn't look over well and both had body cracks....I was in a hurry and I thought the price was really right. After I found and bought replacement parts the price wasn't so right on one, but the other was still a good buy. However, in each case at least I ended up with good planes, together not much over priced due to the original price, but still too much for the one.

The final one is a jointer plane that has corroded in machine screws....I think I can fix it, but haven't taken the time to fool with it yet.

I HOPE I have learned my lesson....don't get in a hurry when you don't have time to really look over a tool. On that auction site I have learned not to buy, even when the price is really right on a tool I have wanted for a few years......IF the pictures are not good enough to make a thorough evaluation. Any more I also send a note asking if the machine screws will all turn. If I don't get a reply I don't bid.

Regards,

Stew

Mike Cherry
12-01-2019, 10:55 PM
Hi all, I haven’t posted in a long time here but what can I say? I’ve missed the knuckle draggers around here lol.

I’m disappointed in the LV medium shoulder plane. Absolutely nothing wrong with the tool, I just happened to discover I get good results with just a chisel for most tenons. For wide tenons or breadboard ends, I would rather grab my LN rabbeting block plane for the shoulders.

This is more about how I work than whether the tool is good, I can’t stress that enough.

Jim Koepke
12-02-2019, 12:11 AM
Hi all, I haven’t posted in a long time here but what can I say? I’ve missed the knuckle draggers around here lol.

I’m disappointed in the LV medium shoulder plane. Absolutely nothing wrong with the tool, I just happened to discover I get good results with just a chisel for most tenons. For wide tenons or breadboard ends, I would rather grab my LN rabbeting block plane for the shoulders.

This is more about how I work than whether the tool is good, I can’t stress that enough.

My shoulder plane finds a little work, but not usually for working on tenons. For me a chisel is less work and does a cleaner job. Most of my tenon cheeks are also trimmed with a chisel.

jtk

Chet R Parks
12-02-2019, 5:08 AM
it's been stored away for many years the LN No.9 bronze miter plane. Happily replaced with the LV miter plane several years ago. Love that beefy little plane.

Rob Luter
12-02-2019, 9:07 AM
Stanley #78 in perfect as new condition. It is a nightmare for me to use as a left hander since you end up always inadvertently moving the depth adjuster. It's the only pan I've ever bought where being lefty caused me any grief.

Funny you mention a #78. It was one of those planes I had to have. I found an immaculate Sweetheart era specimen at a great price and jumped on it. I think I used it twice in 10 years. It left me in the great purge of 2018.

James Spillman
12-02-2019, 10:36 AM
I'm fortunate to have Lee Valley planes and use them all. If you have a LV shooting board plane and you don't want it I may be your man. Just get in touch.

Matt Lau
12-02-2019, 11:57 AM
I have an LV BU Smoother (4 1/2 sized) that I almost never use. But like they say, I'll give it up when they pry it from my cold dead hands. :)

Dr. Lau, look seriously at an LV Shooting Plane - I bought mine at a cyber monday sale. LOVE that tool!

I tried... During the checkout, my cart stalled for 45 minutes...before telling me that it was no longer in stock.
I was a bit pissed, but figured it's God's way of telling me to have self-restraint.

That shooting plane would have been great for a ukulele top that I needed to rejoin.

Matt Lau
12-02-2019, 11:58 AM
FWIW, I have to wonder if my thread broke the LV site last night.

David Bassett
12-02-2019, 12:24 PM
FWIW, I have to wonder if my thread broke the LV site last night.

Nah. I'm pretty sure it was 30-40 minutes of Amazon level traffic on a new website designed for more restrained use. (And there's little chance anyone here, that was interested, hadn't heard about the sale.)

Besides we regularly crashed the old site on Cyber-Monday for the last several years. In fact, this is the first time I haven't had something in my cart sellout while trying to check out. Of course, I wasn't going for the more popular high ticket items either. BTW- they still have gift cards. Figure out what you want(-ed) and get the appropriate gift card. You can have yourself a personal sale on new items next year!

Kyle Iwamoto
12-02-2019, 3:58 PM

Wait, are you saying you have enough planes?

Marinus Loewensteijn
12-02-2019, 4:16 PM
Regret: Woodriver #3 plane, just plain junk these days as the side lever was next to impossible to move. Was happy enough with the shoulder plane, the block block plane and the low angle jack plane but gave those to my son.
Bought to try out, then not used after trying it out (found better ways to do the same thing) and subsequently disposed off: Record #43 plough plane, Stanley #50 plough plane, Stanley #99 side rabbet plane.

Ron Kellison
12-02-2019, 6:07 PM
I have a LV bronze edge plane in the original box. I never use it and only bought it because it is such a lovely little tool! I take it out once in awhile just to look at it and admire how well it fits my hand. That said, it will be part of the cache that I plan to move on to others in the near future. There will also be several Hock plane iron/chipbreakers that I bought when I knew that I just had to build Krenov-style planes.

Josh Robinson
12-02-2019, 6:09 PM
Hi Marinus
What did you replace the plough planes with?

John Lanciani
12-03-2019, 10:46 AM
it's been stored away for many years the LN No.9 bronze miter plane. Happily replaced with the LV miter plane several years ago. Love that beefy little plane.

If it's the early version of the LN you may be pleasantly surprised at it's value today...

Bob Jones 5443
12-03-2019, 1:01 PM
When I built a wall hanger to hug my planes and offer them at arm's length over my bench, I knew it was an affirmation that I do not intend to buy additional planes. My set is a 2008 LN 4-1/2, a 1931 Stanley Bailey 5-1/2, a 1922 Bed Rock 607, and a 1990s Stanley block plane. All four have been meticulously tuned, and my view is that I should be able to do just about anything (flat) with these. Of course, this year I've added an 1892 Stanley No. 71 router plane, plus three spokeshaves for curves: a LN round Boggs, a 151 of early but unknown vintage, and a 151R of equal antiquity. And an antique Stanley No. 80 cabinet scraper.

I was dancing around maybe buying a shoulder plane for tenon cheeks, but I find that the router plane gives me greater control and precision in the distance between the face and the parallel cheek. I'm not sure how I'd regulate that with the shoulder plane, and I'd rather use chisels for the shoulders.

One small regret is that I bought the LN 4-1/2 with a corrugated sole; I'd rather have smooth (and bronze would be nice). Beyond that, no regrets, except maybe that I don't have a LN block plane –– but that wouldn't fit into the wall hanger, and the latter-day Stanley seems to work very well indeed. I fully intend (and hope!) not to be tempted further. We'll see.

Chet R Parks
12-03-2019, 2:37 PM
John,
Yea I saw what they are going for on Ebay, I think that's ridiculous that some people think it's worth that much. I'd like to donate it to some sort of museum that collects this kind of stuff. Sorry didn't mean to hijack this thread.

Dominik Dudkiewicz
12-04-2019, 3:41 AM
John,
Yea I saw what they are going for on Ebay, I think that's ridiculous that some people think it's worth that much. I'd like to donate it to some sort of museum that collects this kind of stuff. Sorry didn't mean to hijack this thread.

I could be some sort of a museum... :D

Chet R Parks
12-04-2019, 6:31 AM
Good one Dominik :)

Günter VögelBerg
12-04-2019, 4:10 PM
I find almost no use for:
Stanley 90

The regrets I have are ones I have sold then purchased again when i missed them. LN rabbet block plane, skew rabbet block plane, bevel-up smoother, primarily.

Charles Bjorgen
12-05-2019, 8:27 AM
The only real regret about a plane purchase is when I was still new at this and bought a Bedrock 604 from an antique shop and found it had a welded frog when I took it apart at home. There was a corresponding lump on the frog that required lots of file work in order to make the plane useable. It was an educational experience that was never forgotten for future plane purchases. I offered the plane on the auction site and clearly pointed out the weld with text and photos. It sold immediately.

Several more vintage Stanleys have passed through my shop until I found I have a very satisfactory assembly of useable planes, most of them Stanley. I’m at a particular age now that some of the premium planes from LV and LN might have to be sold so my family won’t be stuck with tools they would have no knowledge about their value. I have assembled a catalog with apparent prices though. But that’s another story.

Tony Wilkins
12-05-2019, 10:12 AM
I find almost no use for:
Stanley 90

The regrets I have are ones I have sold then purchased again when i missed them. LN rabbet block plane, skew rabbet block plane, bevel-up smoother, primarily.

curious why you sold (and regretted) the rebate block plane. It’s one that I’ve almost bought several times.

Jim Koepke
12-05-2019, 1:01 PM
curious why you sold (and regretted) the rebate block plane. It’s one that I’ve almost bought several times.

The #90 (bull nose shoulder plane) doesn't have enough of a toe to register to the work. Mine is occasionally useful. My other rebate planes including a #93 tend to be used much more often.

My surprise was Günther doesn't find much use for a #3, #6 or #8. My #8 doesn't get as much use as my #3 & #6, which are two of my go to planes. My #8 is usually pulled out for longer work.

It shows we each have different needs and methods of doing similar things.

One user sees an expensive piece of useless gear, another sees a brilliant answer to a nagging problem.

One person's rusty hunk of junk is another's diamond in the rough.

jtk

Marinus Loewensteijn
12-05-2019, 1:44 PM
Hi Marinus
What did you replace the plough planes with?
@ Josh- Late in replying as I'm on a road trip. Bought a #39 1/2", discovered the body was (slightly) bend,then bought another body from someone on ePray (who parts out planes and then subsequently sells the bodies off cheap) to replace. Also bought a #39 3/4". The bend body was cut off making it a skewed bull nose plane. When I need the latter (seldom) I just swap the blade and lever cap from the complete 1/2". The 3/4" does not have the depth stop and I use it as a shoulder plane. Due to being retired I do not care of having to turn timber around to line things up so I can use a piece of timber as a fence to the right side of the plane. FWIW I have arthritis and the #39 is easier for me to hold than the smaller side rabbet (actually impossible to hold) or a shoulder plane. I just have to make sure the dado is perfect in one fitting and then shave a tad off the matching timber with the #3/4" to make it a good fit, rather than adjust the dado. I added the side handle of a Stanley 803 handrill as a front knob on the 3/4" in the thread for the fine adjustment screw of the depth stop (same thread).

David Buchhauser
12-05-2019, 5:49 PM
This one is easy...

Matt

I have several of the Stanley "cheese graters" in various sizes. They do work well for knocking down and shaping Bondo before it completely hardens (think auto body work or mold making). But I don't think they would work too well for wood.
David

Mike Allen1010
12-05-2019, 6:17 PM
Bullnose plane.

+1 can't seem to get it to work without digging in.

Jim Koepke
12-06-2019, 1:23 AM
Bullnose plane.

+1 can't seem to get it to work without digging in.

Which model(s)?

jtk

Rob Luter
12-06-2019, 5:42 AM
I have a LV bronze edge plane in the original box. I never use it and only bought it because it is such a lovely little tool! I take it out once in awhile just to look at it and admire how well it fits my hand. That said, it will be part of the cache that I plan to move on to others in the near future.....

Interesting. I have a LV version of the same plane. Not the gorgeous bronze, but still a neat little gizmo. I don't use it often, but it does see use. Nothing else in the kit will do what it does. No regrets here.

Derek Cohen
12-06-2019, 7:45 AM
I have the LN left and right pair, and well as a single LV edge plane. They get used, not often, but I would not dream of selling them.

The worst plane I have ever owned - given to me as a gift - was the Stanley #75 bullnose plane. This was obviously designed by a sadist. There was no way to hold it without the blade digging into your palm.

Beyond this, tools are what you make of them, even this: The Orange Block Plane (http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/The%20Orange%20Block%20Plane.html)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Frank Pratt
12-06-2019, 9:08 AM
I didn't buy it, and wouldn't have, it was gift. It's Veritas edge trimming plane, with a skewed iron and a non-adjustable 90* fence. I theory, it's for squaring up the edge of a board, but it's barely longer than a block plane. So sure, the edge will be square, but not necessarily straight. I did a couple of swipes on a board just to try it out & put it back in the box, where it's been for the last 8 or 10 years.

I love Lee Valley, but the catalog is rife with almost useless, 1 trick tools & gadgets. This is one of them.

Rob Luter
12-06-2019, 9:09 AM
I had a #75 Bullnose. The only thing it did well was fill a small space in a drawer. I tuned it to the level of a Swiss watch. The cutter was honed to a razor's edge. It didn't matter. It didn't work worth a damn.

steven c newman
12-06-2019, 10:46 AM
The Stanley 75 was designed more for Glaziers....The 75 is best suited to clean out the areas where old glazing was, and get things down to bare wood again, and prep things for the next pane of glass to be bedded.

Rob Luter
12-06-2019, 12:01 PM
That's what I've heard. I've always had better luck with a Glazier's Knife (variant on a putty knife). After living in a 1920 era home with a boatload of wood double hungs needing rebuilding I got pretty good at it.

Jim Koepke
12-06-2019, 2:26 PM
The worst plane I have ever owned - given to me as a gift - was the Stanley #75 bullnose plane.

I had a #75 Bullnose. The only thing it did well was fill a small space in a drawer. I tuned it to the level of a Swiss watch. The cutter was honed to a razor's edge. It didn't matter. It didn't work worth a damn.

Memories of the Stanley #75 have been scrubbed from my mind. Yes, it was up there with my most regrettable purchases.

jtk

Carl Beckett
12-06-2019, 3:37 PM
I have one of the large scraper planes. When I got it I thought it would be the cats meow. But I just prefer using a card scraper or traditional holder. I even shipped the scraper plane around to members here once so different people could try it out (have thought about doing that again, it was the most it was ever used)

steven c newman
12-06-2019, 4:00 PM
Over the years, there has been a lot of planes come through my shop.....hundreds, actually.....do I regret any? Not really. Why? Because how else was I to learn about HOW a plane works, what makes it tick, and how it would work in the projects I do. "Ready to go" right out of a fancy box will teach a person ZILCH.

I have to have my hands on a plane, or any other tool for that matter. I needed to learn how to use a plane, how it worked, how to adjust, and sharpen....for myself. Soooo..

After awhile, I started to learn what worked for me, what felt comfortable for me. I'd have sometimes 6-8 versions of the same tool...and then I could decide which worked to best for me. May not have been what worked for someone else. Wasn't interested what they said was THE correct way....as way too often their way was more about how much they paid for a tool.

Slowly, just certain models seemed to stick around my shop...seemed to always work when needed. Soon learned that some may look GREAT...only to fail to do even one job that was asked of them. Have a plane all sharpened up, all set to take a decent first shaving......and never make a second one the same way. I'd send it off to the great auction place, and use the cash to try something else.

Started back in the 80s...with a Great Neck G-4, a Stanley no. 110, and a Stanley No.128.....working on pallet Oak....that was it. Now? Pretty well set as to what planes I use every day. Have learned what to look for, and what to avoid. May have been the "hard way", but it worked for me.

Some of the planes mentioned above, that others dislike.....I have been known to try them out.....some just needed me to take the time to LEARN how to use them. No biggie, there..as I am always willing to learn a new skill. About the only skill I don't need to learn..is how to open a box. There is nothing to learn, doing that, anyway.

Jerry Olexa
12-08-2019, 3:58 PM
None........

Günter VögelBerg
12-08-2019, 11:26 PM

I find it very useful for trimming tenon cheeks and adjusting grooves on the edge of panels. I prefer it over a shoulder plane because it is wider and can be handled with one hand. It easier to sharpen than the skew version.

Günter VögelBerg
12-08-2019, 11:28 PM
The #90 (bull nose shoulder plane) doesn't have enough of a toe to register to the work. Mine is occasionally useful. My other rebate planes including a #93 tend to be used much more often.

My surprise was Günther doesn't find much use for a #3, #6 or #8. My #8 doesn't get as much use as my #3 & #6, which are two of my go to planes. My #8 is usually pulled out for longer work.

It shows we each have different needs and methods of doing similar things.

One user sees an expensive piece of useless gear, another sees a brilliant answer to a nagging problem.

One person's rusty hunk of junk is another's diamond in the rough.

jtk

I find the larger smooth planes to be more efficient. 6 and 8 I used more until I got a 12 inch wide jointer with a helical head.

Jim Koepke
12-09-2019, 1:14 AM
I find the larger smooth planes to be more efficient.

My #4-1/2 does get a bit of use on bigger stock.

My projects are all over the place, sometimes a #6 can be used like a smoother. Other times the work at hand benefits from something smaller like a #3 or even at times a #1 or #2.

jtk

Dominik Dudkiewicz
12-09-2019, 2:36 AM
Over the years, there has been a lot of planes come through my shop.....hundreds, actually.....do I regret any? Not really. Why? Because how else was I to learn about HOW a plane works, what makes it tick, and how it would work in the projects I do. "Ready to go" right out of a fancy box will teach a person ZILCH.

I have to have my hands on a plane, or any other tool for that matter. I needed to learn how to use a plane, how it worked, how to adjust, and sharpen....for myself. Soooo..

After awhile, I started to learn what worked for me, what felt comfortable for me. I'd have sometimes 6-8 versions of the same tool...and then I could decide which worked to best for me. May not have been what worked for someone else. Wasn't interested what they said was THE correct way....as way too often their way was more about how much they paid for a tool.

Slowly, just certain models seemed to stick around my shop...seemed to always work when needed. Soon learned that some may look GREAT...only to fail to do even one job that was asked of them. Have a plane all sharpened up, all set to take a decent first shaving......and never make a second one the same way. I'd send it off to the great auction place, and use the cash to try something else.

Started back in the 80s...with a Great Neck G-4, a Stanley no. 110, and a Stanley No.128.....working on pallet Oak....that was it. Now? Pretty well set as to what planes I use every day. Have learned what to look for, and what to avoid. May have been the "hard way", but it worked for me.

Some of the planes mentioned above, that others dislike.....I have been known to try them out.....some just needed me to take the time to LEARN how to use them. No biggie, there..as I am always willing to learn a new skill. About the only skill I don't need to learn..is how to open a box. There is nothing to learn, doing that, anyway.

Hi Steven,

Sounds like you have a wealth of experience and that going through many, presumably second-hand, planes has taught you a lot; not only what you like and what works for you, but from inference, how to repair and restore tools. That's really great.

I have to say though, that I find your statements that buying a new, high quality, tool, that effectively works out of the box will teach a person "zilch" a little objectionable. Unless I miss-interpret the underlying intent of your post? For a start, no tool is ready to go out of the box, aside from maybe some super high-end hand made planes that cost thousands - you need to learn to prepare the blade and, if relevant, chip-breaker. Learn to set the blade, frog/mouth, and chip breaker depending on the application. You still need to develop a feel for the tool and learn to use it effectively - know when it will work well and when a different tool would be more optimal. You still develop a feel/preference for which tool you like best, both within a category and between categories. I think that, other than the restoration aspect (removal of rust, flattening of the sole, repair/cleaning of threads etc) there is no fundamental difference between an old tool and a new one; other than the work required to get to the starting point - at least not from a learning and skills development perspective.

I'm certainly not dismissing that learning to restore planes is a useful skill, and certainly one that can save money, but I also don't think it's right to dismiss the learning and skills developed using any tool; new or old.

Cheers,

Dom

Günter VögelBerg
12-09-2019, 8:01 AM
My #4-1/2 does get a bit of use on bigger stock.

My projects are all over the place, sometimes a #6 can be used like a smoother. Other times the work at hand benefits from something smaller like a #3 or even at times a #1 or #2.

jtk

My 5 1/2 often gets used as a smoother, so I guess we are essentially doing the same thing. For me the 6 is set up with a very cambered blade more like a traditional fore plane. I also use the 5 1/2 as a sort of a small jointer. I use it for many things much like Alan Peter's used a 7. I think in traditional English cabinet making it would be a "panel plane".

Jason Martin Winnipeg
12-09-2019, 3:56 PM
Like a couple of other people have mentioned, I regret my Lee Valley #4 Bevel Up plane. Actually, I don't even remember if it's the Bevel Up plane or the Low Angle plane. That's how much I've used it. I know other people have had success with them, but it just didn't work well with me.

I don't regret any of my other plane purchases, but I do regret taking some free planes because they turned out to be junk and now they just take up room because I don't have the heart to get rid of them.

Also, I regret missing the Lee Valley Cyber Monday sale. :(

Peter Oster
12-09-2019, 9:46 PM
They are great for cleaning up cuts in Sheetrock.

Eric Danstrom
12-10-2019, 11:36 AM
They are great for cleaning up cuts in Sheetrock.
I assume you're referring to the Stanley cheese grater. I agree, when I was drywalling my workshop it was perfect for taking a little off the edge to make the drywall fit. I never thought it had use for woodworking.

glenn bradley
12-10-2019, 1:20 PM
That's interesting. I actually picked up a LV #6 during one of these Cyber Monday Lee Valley sales and it has become one of the most used planes I own

A great example of why these sort of questions are so hard to answer. The value will vary with the woodworker. These questions do make for good conversation though and that always seems to be beneficial ;-)

Jim Koepke
12-10-2019, 2:46 PM
Originally Posted by Tony Shea

That's interesting. I actually picked up a LV #6 during one of these Cyber Monday Lee Valley sales and it has become one of the most used planes I own

A great example of why these sort of questions are so hard to answer. The value will vary with the woodworker. These questions do make for good conversation though and that always seems to be beneficial ;-)

So very true… Some see a Stanley #45 as a fancy boat anchor. Others see it as a versatile way to plow groves or add decorative detail to their work.

If a person is mostly doing small work on boxes for jewelry or pencils, they likely will not find a use for the big fellows like a #4-1/2 or a #8.

Some folks find bevel up smoothers, jointers and jacks can handle every task they are called upon to perform. Others may find they are best at specialties like shooting end grain or using as a scrub plane.

To me, a block plane with a 45º angle of attack, like a #9-1/2, is too much like a bench plane without a chip breaker to have much use. To others it is a handy accompaniment to their bench planes.

We all do different things in different ways.

This is the very reason for a forum like this, we can all hopefully learn something different from each other.

jtk

Alex Atkinson
12-11-2019, 12:19 AM
I was planning to buy a plane recently. I'm a newbie in this and I was looking for the info, but then I came across this thread and here I've found more info about planes, than all the internet has lol.
Thank you so much!

Bob Jones 5443
12-11-2019, 1:38 AM
Welcome, Alex. Keep asking and looking here. I've just joined myself, about a month ago, and I've found a wealth of experience, wisdom, insight, and a strong willingness to help.

What kind of plane holds your interest just now?

Jim Koepke
12-11-2019, 1:38 PM
Alex, Bob, Welcome to the Creek.

Alex, My question is the same as Bob's:
What kind of plane holds your interest just now?

If you are in the Pacific Northwest, you are welcome to visit my shop and test drive different sizes and types of Stanley planes.

jtk

Corey Rebette
12-11-2019, 8:38 PM
A Number 6 Stanley. I don't recall using it ever. I suppose it could joint on smaller projects when a 7 woul be too much? Also, I regret buying more spokeshaves other maybe the 151. All the others are unnecessary.