PDA

View Full Version : First (and maybe last) effort at burning

Carole Valentine
12-18-2005, 10:19 PM
Had this little maple dish that I just didn't like so I decided it was a good candidate for me to try using my burner for something other than signing my name. At first I just burned the small raised rim. That looked crumby so I decided that since the crab is almost an unofficial symbol of the Eastern Shore, I would do a Chesapeake Bay Blue Crab in the middle. That didn't look right either, so I decided to try and burn in the background with stippling. I must have been temporarily insane! Don't know how you pyromaniacs have the patience to do this stuff! My eyes are crossed, my hand is cramped and my nose burns! LOL

Ken Fitzgerald
12-18-2005, 10:21 PM
And Carole.....that piece shows your artistic skills and dedication! I like it! I really like the effect of the stippling, the crab....the whole shebang!

Carole Valentine
12-18-2005, 10:26 PM
And Carole.....that piece shows your artistic skills and dedication! I like it! I really like the effect of the stippling, the crab....the whole shebang!

Zero artistic skills, Ken. I took a photo of a crab, plopped it into CorelDraw, did a vector drawing by tracing the photo, scaled it, printed it on a lazer printer and heat transferred the pattern to the bowl so I could burn it. I can't draw worth squat!:o Dedication? Not too sure about that either!:D

Raymond Overman
12-18-2005, 10:41 PM
Carole,

A magician never tells her secret. I like it. I think it is a valiant effort and success at a technique study and I'm certain that someone there around Chesapeake would love to have it.

Ernie Nyvall
12-18-2005, 11:35 PM
I really like that look Carole. You did a fine job.

Hey, next time catch a woodpecker and tie the burner to it's beak.:eek: :D
I just can't help coming up with good ideas :cool:

Ernie

Mark Singer
12-18-2005, 11:41 PM
Carole very nice I should make the pedistal big enough for your brother...and the bowl! I like it!:rolleyes:

Carole Valentine
12-19-2005, 12:14 AM
Carole very nice I should make the pedistal big enough for your brother...and the bowl! I like it!:rolleyes:
No way! My crab might catch my brother's Pre-Columbian...er, maybe that should be prehistoric...germs!:D

Loy Hawes
12-19-2005, 4:40 AM
Great work Carole. I really like the rim.

John Hart
12-19-2005, 7:00 AM
Awesome Carole!!!! Great idea and great execution. Wonderful!!:) :)

Michael Stafford
12-19-2005, 7:25 AM
Some of those symptoms are attributable to age but if you want to blame them on woodburning, far be it for me to argue with you....:p ;)

Let me tell you something, you turn a few more of those and burn some more blue crabs on them, maybe even use some prisma colors and take them down to Waterside and name your price. That is the perfect decoration to sell in all the tourist areas around the Chesapeake Bay. I bet you could take that to some of the nice seafood houses in Norfolk and Virginia Beach and leave with a fat check...Nice work, Carole, really quite well done. Now go to the doctor to take care of those old people ailments....:p :D

Sparky Paessler
12-19-2005, 10:12 AM
I like the way it looks Carol! I'm going to have to get me a pen soon and try some. What burner are you using and do you like it?

Brad Schmid
12-19-2005, 10:14 AM
I think it's really nice Carole, well done!
Brad

Travis Stinson
12-19-2005, 10:23 AM
That turned out great Carole. Looks like you're out of luck with that being the last one!;)

Bernie Weishapl
12-19-2005, 10:51 AM
Carole that is a beautiful job. Very, very well done.

Ron Ainge
12-19-2005, 11:00 AM
I remember the time I went in to buy my burning pens and was so amazed at how easy the guy made it look when he showed me how to use them. well they did not work that easy for me when I got home and tried it on some of the wood I had at home. I think the learning curve on this type work is very large. I think that for the first time your did very well.

Howie French
12-19-2005, 11:22 AM
I really like it Carole, great job !

Howie

Chip Sutherland
12-19-2005, 11:28 AM
Hey, you're just blazin' (:o ) a trail for the rest of us....;) :D

Glenn Hodges
12-19-2005, 12:18 PM
Carole, I can't add much to what has been said except to say it really adds to the look of the bowl, and I really like it.

Roger Fitzsimonds
12-19-2005, 1:14 PM
Carole,
I have to agree with everyone else that is a very nice looking bowl. I find I am my own worst critic. It looks really good. Keep up the good work.

Roger

Keith Burns
12-19-2005, 1:31 PM
Carole, I can't add anything to whats already been said except to say you have an ausome talent! Great job:) :)

Gary DeWitt
12-19-2005, 1:37 PM
Allright, I'm just dying to know, Carole. What EXACTLY is wrong with the original bowl?! Too modern a design for you? I happen to like it. So I guess there's SOMEONE out there who will like anything.

I like the burning pattern as well. Perhaps you could burn in the crab, and maybe the rim, on the next one, and dye the background, or dremmel and dye it. Not sure, as it's been decades since I burned any wood, but I have been texturing with a dremmel lately, goes pretty fast with the right bit.

Carole Valentine
12-19-2005, 1:39 PM
Allright, I'm just dying to know, Carole. What EXACTLY is wrong with the original bowl?! Too modern a design for you?
Gary,
It was just a blah piece of maple...no character.:)

Gary DeWitt
12-19-2005, 11:29 PM
Well, to me, the character in that originally was the shape. Didn't hurt it none to spruce up the surface, just saying I liked the shape. It's always refreshing to see a bowl that isn't shaped like a farmhouse mixing bowl, altho with the right wood, they can look good as well.

Mark Cothren
12-19-2005, 11:58 PM
I like it Carole. The more I come back and look at it the more I keep likin' it.

Thanks for the picture!

Carole Valentine
12-20-2005, 12:01 AM
I like the way it looks Carol! I'm going to have to get me a pen soon and try some. What burner are you using and do you like it?
Hi Sparky,
I have the Colwood burner (forget the model - Super something) It's OK but the handpiece gets hot. I think if I had it to do over again, I might get the Razortip.

John Hart
12-20-2005, 8:20 AM
I have a question Carole. Keep in mind that this is a question based on zero knowledge of anything!:o Could I Scroll saw a figure...Let's say a crab...out of thin plywood or something. Then lightly attach that figure to the bottom of a bowl. Then torch the whole inside. Do you think it would leave an imprint that would remain after sanding and finishing? Or does a torch pretty much ruin everything?

Carole Valentine
12-20-2005, 8:53 AM
I have a question Carole. Keep in mind that this is a question based on zero knowledge of anything!:o Could I Scroll saw a figure...Let's say a crab...out of thin plywood or something. Then lightly attach that figure to the bottom of a bowl. Then torch the whole inside. Do you think it would leave an imprint that would remain after sanding and finishing? Or does a torch pretty much ruin everything?

Oh no!!!! Someone has given the mad scientist a torch!!! Run, people! Run as far as and as fast you can! :D:D:D
I don't know the answer John, but knowing you, we will all have an answer by tonight!;) It appears to me that you are aiming to avoid the more tedious aspects of pyrography? Don't blame you one bit!:D

Andy Hoyt
12-20-2005, 9:09 AM

FLAME ON DUDE!

Michael Stafford
12-20-2005, 9:33 AM
FLAME ON DUDE!

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL:D :D

John, please get a fire extinguisher, a bucket of water, a bag of sand, some baking soda, some salt and any other materials that might be useful in putting out a fire and keep them handy.:p :p :p ;)

John, dampen the plywood pattern with water and attach it with some double sided tape and I bet the fire will be bigger, er, the pattern will be easier to remove.....:eek: :p :D

The Griswolds do woodworking....................................... .:D

John Hart
12-20-2005, 9:42 AM
Heh heh heh.....You big kidders! Now, you know that I'll be safe with my techiques. You're just being a bunch of worry-worts.

Hey!....can I use any kind of liquid to put the fire out? Water my damage the wood? :rolleyes: Let's see...what do I have.......hmmmmm.:p

Jim Becker
12-20-2005, 3:21 PM
And the problem with this is what? It's beautiful, Carole. You did a great job...and I'm not convinced it's your first time, either, by the results. More!

Carole Valentine
12-20-2005, 5:46 PM
And the problem with this is what? It's beautiful, Carole. You did a great job...and I'm not convinced it's your first time, either, by the results. More!
I really don't have a problem with it now that it is burned, Jim. I think I like it the more I look at it. When I first turned the dish, I had no idea of trying to burn anything on it, but the maple was so featureless, I figured I couldn't hurt it by trying to use my burner as something more than an expensive pen!:D

Corey Hallagan
12-20-2005, 7:39 PM
Must of been alot of work, but I think it was worth it. It looks great!

Corey

Rich Stewart
12-27-2005, 1:51 PM
I think it is fabulous Carole! It looks great. I agree that many people would love to have one or several of these.