PDA

View Full Version : So I spent some time

Keith Christopher
12-18-2005, 9:42 PM
Playing with a skew chisel today. After helping my kids turn a few pens. I must say, I LOVE the skew chisel. I went from square to round in like nothing flat ! What a verstile tool ! So I decided to make a pen with nothing but a skew chisel. I little stock removal, then some fine details. Well I put up some ebony and here is the result. (and I promise this is a different pen from before.)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b179/goyde/Lathe/newebony.jpg

So when I say I love the skew chisel I mean I love this thing ! I just need a bigger one ! I'm using the one in the free tool kit at the moment.

Bernie Weishapl
12-18-2005, 9:57 PM
Very cool Keith. I like the ebony. Good looking pen. What size is your skew Keith? The set I got has a 1/2" and 1 1/8".

Raymond Overman
12-18-2005, 10:16 PM
So Keith, with your skew are you riding the bevel for your cuts or are you using it like a scraper? It's such a versatile tool. Once you learn to ride the bevel of the skew, you can really get a great cut and support the material you're cutting also. I'm very fond of my Crown oval skew for detail work on spindles (pens, bottle stoppers, etc.).

Nice looking pen too. That ebony is beautiful. You may want to try laminating a couple of lighter stripes at 30 degrees across the blank for some interesting effects.

Keith Christopher
12-18-2005, 10:26 PM
Very cool Keith. I like the ebony. Good looking pen. What size is your skew Keith? The set I got has a 1/2" and 1 1/8".

1/2" Skew, it's a little one. but HSS and sharpens very well.

So Keith, with your skew are you riding the bevel for your cuts or are you using it like a scraper? It's such a versatile tool. Once you learn to ride the bevel of the skew, you can really get a great cut and support the material you're cutting also. I'm very fond of my Crown oval skew for detail work on spindles (pens, bottle stoppers, etc.).

Nice looking pen too. That ebony is beautiful. You may want to try laminating a couple of lighter stripes at 30 degrees across the blank for some interesting effects

I was riding the bevel, haven't used it like a scraper yet. I like the way is seems to slice _vs_ "chop" like a gouge. I have some blanks I drilled holes in them and put in some contrasting wood and differing sizes. I also have a couple of VERY expensive items coming, 2 of them actually- In 3/4"x3/4"x5" cost is 110$ ea. Don't want to give it away but I think it will be awesome. of course I'm an optimist.

Keith

Ernie Nyvall
12-18-2005, 11:28 PM
Nice pen Keith.

I too first used the skew on pens. Works great. Certainly cuts down on sanding.

Ernie

John Hart
12-19-2005, 7:28 AM
Keith...I'm currently trying to master the skew....meaning, I use it for everything so I can learn every possible quirk. I'm starting to love it myself. Everything from long straight smoothness to that itty-bitty cut that adds the special highlight. And going through the curves is like riding a motorcycle on a winding road.

Oh....Nice Pen!