PDA

View Full Version : Aprons

Josko Catipovic
11-29-2019, 11:51 AM
I see a lot of people wearing these heavy-duty aprons on various youtube, FWW, etc things. Do folks here where them, and to what benefit? I can't figure out why I'd want to put one on, but maybe it's an 'I don't know what I don't know' thing.

Mel Fulks
11-29-2019, 12:33 PM
I've always used them when there is a lot of gluing to be done. When we use the Weld Wood plastic resin stuff it's pretty
thinly mixed and can drip. It doesn't just stain, it makes clothing break and leave holes.

Andrew Seemann
11-29-2019, 1:20 PM
I used to wear a denim one when gluing and finishing, until one of my dogs chewed it up (she is cute, but not very bright). In general I didn't like wearing it because it was kind of heavy on my back. I remember doing some kind of cross thing with the straps to even out the weight. I probably should get another one, I always seem to get glue or stain/varnish on my shirt.

ken hatch
11-29-2019, 2:07 PM
Josko,

As the others have pointed out they are good for keeping glue and finishes off your clothes, I still forget often enough most of my good clothes end up as work clothes pretty quickly. The other thing my leather ones are good for is sharpening, a leather apron and my belly make a great strop when chasing the burr. I haven't thought about it but my guess is I use an apron more than not. It is also a great preventive from MsBubba's evil eye, "see kiddo, I've the apron over that new shirt you bought me the other day".

ken

Matt Lau
11-29-2019, 2:08 PM
I had a Veritas one...great apron, but I found that I still got tons of dust on my.

Currently, I use spare white coats.
Sometimes, I get ink on them and can't use them at my dental office.

Jim Koepke
11-29-2019, 3:23 PM
My apron was retired long ago. It seems easier to have separate clothes for working in the garden and shop and the nicer clothes for going in to town.

Like Andrew mentioned, it felt like an extra, unneeded weight.

jtk

J. Greg Jones
11-29-2019, 3:36 PM
I had bought 3 different aprons over time, looking for the perfect one for me. I finally decided that the perfect apron for most work was no apron at all. I do use my tan Veritas apron for glue-up and for finishing, but otherwise I’m happier without one.

Frank Pratt
11-29-2019, 4:26 PM
I feel naked without my apron when in the shop, & no one wants that :eek:. I use one from Lee Valley & it's not perfect, but it keeps me much cleaner & has places to hold stuff that I always need at hand. It's also very comfortable & takes less than 5 seconds to put on. I often go into the the shop for just a short time & don't want to have to change my clothes to do that.

Nathan Johnson
11-29-2019, 5:31 PM
I feel naked without my apron when in the shop, & no one wants that :eek:. I use one from Lee Valley & it's not perfect, but it keeps me much cleaner & has places to hold stuff that I always need at hand. It's also very comfortable & takes less than 5 seconds to put on. I often go into the the shop for just a short time & don't want to have to change my clothes to do that.

I don't know, Frank, I think you're onto something.
I've always found it's easier to work wood naked.

Frank Pratt
11-29-2019, 6:46 PM

Just what kind of wood are you talking about here?

Nathan Johnson
11-29-2019, 7:28 PM
I'll just see myself out.

Jack Frederick
11-29-2019, 8:51 PM
I have a Duluth apron. I like the cross straps and it is comfortable. My wife wishes I would wear it more regularly.

Andrew Hughes
11-29-2019, 9:37 PM
I don’t wear a apron. Because I don’t want to look like one of those Utube dorks. Teaching how to make jigs and fixtures that no one really needs.:p

steven c newman
11-29-2019, 9:52 PM
When I remember to put mine on....something called "Bucket Boss Originals" padded shoulder straps...heavy duty ( not weighty, though) cotton duck.....Almost like it was made by Carharts....

IF I am sitting at the bench, doing a lot of chisel work....I can use the apron on my leg, as a quick strop.....

As for how I look? I'm in a single person wood shop, without a mirror....why should I care what it looks like.....I do throw it in the washer, from time to time...just so it won't run away....

Anuj Prateek
11-29-2019, 10:43 PM
I've always used them when there is a lot of gluing to be done. When we use the Weld Wood plastic resin stuff it's pretty
thinly mixed and can drip. It doesn't just stain, it makes clothing break and leave holes.

I bought few cheap t-shirts for similar purpose (like 5 for $10-15), while staining. Loved the idea and they are my default t-shirts while working. I wipe glue, stain or whatever on them. They go through 5-6 wash and get ruined. If I don't wipe glue they last longer.

William Fretwell
11-30-2019, 1:15 AM
Went through a phase with lots of table saw kick backs and always wore a thick leather apron, it saved me some grief. Regular woodwork I have an abundance of old clothes that just get older, sort of urban camo. Wear the really old stuff when I buy wood from sawmills, get a better price, the old guys in the sawmills have me beat though!

Bill Lyman
11-30-2019, 8:37 AM
My wife made me a few denim aprons wth pockets for pencils and measuring tape. I generally wear one in the shop to keep dust, stains etc off clothes, even though I wear old clothes working in the shop. It may be because the shop is in the basement.

Frederick Skelly
11-30-2019, 10:02 AM
I had bought 3 different aprons over time, looking for the perfect one for me. I finally decided that the perfect apron for most work was no apron at all. I do use my tan Veritas apron for glue-up and for finishing, but otherwise I’m happier without one.

I had the same experience Greg. I WANTED to like the apron because of the coverage and the pockets. But I couldn't find one that suited me.

ken hatch
11-30-2019, 11:16 AM
There is a reason to have and wear a good leather shop apron. This one has followed me around for a few years. I also have one from LN but like this one better.

ken

steven c newman
11-30-2019, 11:34 AM
Nothing in the shop says "Quitting Time!" like the act of hanging your apron up......

James Waldron
11-30-2019, 12:20 PM
After ruining a couple of shirts and suffering a (minor) burn, SWMBO picked up some leather from our local Tandy and made me a very nice apron for use when grinding and/or hardening steel. I also use it when turning, 'cause so many chips and curls stick on and into my clothes. And like others, I use it for larger glue-ups and finishing. Otherwise, it's my carefully cultivated "little tramp" look. Except the "little" part. Someday I'll lose some weight!

And SWMBO made a smaller one in denim for my "apprentice."

Click it to big it.

She's grown a bit and it fits better now. Won't last too much longer, though.

ken hatch
11-30-2019, 12:24 PM
After ruining a couple of shirts and suffering a (minor) burn, SWMBO picked up some leather from our local Tandy and made me a very nice apron for use when grinding and/or hardening steel. I also use it when turning, 'cause so many chips and curls stick on and into my clothes. And like others, I use it for larger glue-ups and finishing. Otherwise, it's my carefully cultivated "little tramp" look. Except the "little" part. Someday I'll lose some weight!

And SWMBO made a smaller one in denim for my "apprentice."

Click it to big it.

She's grown a bit and it fits better now. Won't last too much longer, though.

James,

Brings a smile, what a cutey.

ken

Kurtis Johnson
11-30-2019, 1:21 PM
You must not be planing and sawing on the pull stroke, yowza!

Bill Jobe
11-30-2019, 1:45 PM
Just a tool belt would hold me away from my work enough, but mine would require strong suspenders. I can't even keep my pants up all the way.
Lost 40-50 pounds over the past couple of years.
But for some reason I have always had that problem.
Not a big enough butt, I suppose.:rolleyes:

I'm thinking about buying some railroad bib overalls. I was born to 3 generations of railroad engineers.
Why didn't I make it 4? Colorblind.

Stan Calow
12-01-2019, 9:53 AM
I like having those pockets in front of me to hold the tools I will need to use often, that I otherwise forget where I put them down - tape measure, safety glasses, pencil, square, etc.. But also have ruined a lot of t=shirts and sweatshirts with little dots of glue or finish that somehow got past all my carefulness.

steven c newman
12-01-2019, 7:20 PM
Done for today....
Hang the apron up, close up shop...

Malcolm Schweizer
12-01-2019, 11:18 PM
My leather apron fell into a puddle and got soaked, which caused it to rot. (Working in an outdoor shed and it fell off a bench and I wasn’t aware- it sat overnight.) I loved that apron. It had chest pockets and hip pockets with flaps that kept out sawdust. My 6” square fit in the top pocket and was always handy. The leather offered protection and was actually much cooler to wear than denim. Denim aprons clung to me and kept in body heat. The leather let air flow under it and was more comfortable.

I am am awaiting a shipment of veg tanned leather for a new apron. I made a tracing of the old one and will add some improvements to the new one. I plan to have a strap around the belly for hanging rags, and a pocket custom fit for my 6” combo square. I may even have a loop to stick a 12” square through.

Frederick Skelly
12-02-2019, 6:51 AM
Aside: I noticed LV has a nice looking canvas apron on sale today for about $23 - it's usually $40.