PDA

View Full Version : Set up for cuts - you listening Vaughn?

Richard Neel
12-18-2005, 9:37 PM
Hello everyone. I can't quite say that I'm new here as I've been lurking for several months now. However, I haven't been an active poster so I suppose this is my "coming out". I thouroughly enjoy SMC and spend a good bit of time on here almost every day.

I have a Rigid TS3650 TS with an Incra 1000SE miter gauge that I'm trying to "tune-up". While I seem to be able to get things square and make accurate 90's and 45's, my problem seems to be related to doing this over and over again. I can get everthing set up, make some test cuts, make my actual cuts and finish my project. Is it just assumed that I will have to repeat the process of fine-tuning things each and every time I begin a new project with the miter gauge?

Example:

Yesterday, I made a picture frame to give as a Christmas gift. The joints came out nice and tight. Today, I decided to make one more frame and decided to do some test cuts on some scap before I destroyed a nice piece of lacewood. The test cuts were definately not "on". After tweaking things again, all was well with the world.

I know Vaughn has a similar setup to mine, thus my reason for "calling him out" in the subject. Any other input is, of course, very welcome.

Thanks,
Richard

Vaughn McMillan
12-19-2005, 2:23 AM
Richard, offhand I'm not sure what might be causing the inconsistencies you're seeing, but IMO you're doing the right thing by testing the setup before gnawing into the good wood. In my own use, I haven't seen the Incra miter gauge vary a bit as far as being the correct angle, but I do make it a point to double check the blade angle on the saw to make sure it's at 90° or 45° to the table. I haven't checked the "blade to miter slot" alignment since I first set up the saw, but have been thinking it might be a good idea to do it again some day soon. (I haven't seen any evidence that it's off, though.)

Do you have any wobble in the miter slot with the Incra gauge? I had a little bit when I first got it, but tightening the split rings seemed to handle it. Another thing that comes to mind...is your test wood good and straight? I only ask this because I've done it. ;) I've spent time tweaking my setup, only to find the test wood was crooked. When you're adjusting things to fix the problems you're seeing, what are you tweaking? I haven't changed the alignment of the head on my Incra miter gauge at all -- it was dead on at 90° out of the box, and hasn't seemed to waver since.

Any more info you can add will help, and maybe there are others here who might have some other ideas for you to look into.

Hope this helps -

- Vaughn

Chris Padilla
12-19-2005, 2:31 AM
Richard,

Pay attention to what needs tweaking. If you are adjusting some screw or whatever, try marking it to see if it moves over time. Then you can investigate further why it is moving and fix the problem.

tod evans
12-19-2005, 10:41 AM
richard, welcome.

Byron Trantham
12-19-2005, 11:17 AM
I agree with Vaughn here. Make sure the scrap is as good as the final material you are going to use. When I prep something that requires a fair amount of accuracy, I prep a piece of scrap also just so I can make sure the setup is where I want it. Having said that, Incra is very repeatable and accurate. Good luck.

Richard Neel
12-19-2005, 6:06 PM
No wobble in the slot. I'm tweaking the miter gauge to blade/miter slot setting. I had to initially adjust the Incra to make it square to the table and the blade/miter slot. I have a dial indicator that I've used to set the blade square to the slot. I re-checked this during the initial Incra setup and it was within 2/1000ths front-to-back with the blade raised all the way up. I do have a little runout but it is negligible.

I agree, once you have it set at perfectly 90, the 45 cuts are balls-on. I'm thinking the problem may be with my handling of the miter gauge when it's off the saw. I usually just leave it laying on my utility bench when not in use. It does get jostled around a bit. This seems like a long shot though.

I'll keep messing with it until I figure it out.

Oh, and yes, the scrap stock was jointed and planed before making the cuts. I even ran a marking gauge up and down each piece in both dimensions to make sure it was consistent. The stock was cut to length using the stop block on the Incra so the lengths were the same. The stop block was also used when cutting the miters. These miters are not as simple as they appear - especially on longer stock.

Good suggestion on marking the screw positions Chris. I'll give that a try.