PDA

View Full Version : Old Saint Oliver

Reg Mitchell
12-18-2005, 6:56 PM
Thought some of the Olive people might like to see what i got myself for christmas and somting i riged on my bandsaw to help The Eyes. The saw is a 232-D. I will be changing the color this summer :eek: .
The mag. light is there to help with the cutting to lines after I had eyes operated on this year. Tey are still healing and I couldn't wait to get back into the shop. Tey sould be healed in a few more months. :)

Bernie Weishapl
12-18-2005, 7:03 PM
Nice gloat Reg. I did almost the same thing to my bandsaw and scrollsaw. Looking good.

Bill Simmeth
12-18-2005, 7:12 PM
Nice catch Reg! Looks ready to go to work. Did you get a miter guage with that? And, what's the serial nbr/build year?

Art Mulder
12-18-2005, 7:40 PM
Reg, you talk about your eyes... If that were my shop I'd be painting the walls. White walls would be a lot brighter and easier on my eyes than that light-eating grey brick.

Reg Mitchell
12-18-2005, 8:33 PM
Yes Art, I know and i do plan on doing that this summer. The shop is "in progress" at the time being. :)
Bill the serial # is 75230 and unforuntally I didn't get a miter gage with the saw. It's a # 2 and I have been told the harder ones to find. It has been in storage since 1985 in an aircraft manufactoring plant. When i got the crate it had shingles on top, i assume, to keep any water from getting to the saw in case of a leak. It dose run but I have to get a converter to run 3 phase power first, and as i said I want to paint it too so I am in no real big hurry. Actually i am but if i keep lieing to myself I can sleep at night.

Dev Emch
12-18-2005, 8:37 PM
Yeah Baby! Now that is a table saw. Looks like an oliver 232, aka The UniKiller.:D

When its time to change out of those awful pea green clothing, check out the mothership under oliver. (www.owwm.com). One of the guys had a professional paint match done using Dupont Imron that matches the original color. The formula for Imron is listed.

Reg Mitchell
12-18-2005, 8:49 PM
Hey Dev,
Glad you like it. Yea that pea green is such a nasty looking suit. Reminds me of a tree frog :D . I was suprised at how well everything was laid out on this baby. Oil cups greese fitting for bearings. My Brother inlaw cam by today and was curious as to the "new " addition. He said " I thought you had a good saw" I just smiled and said " I do now "
This is one sweet looking machine. I have to take the top off to see the motor and start working to get it ready to paint. I will look at the OWWM link and get some of the paint. Dose it come in a spray can hopefully

Dev Emch
12-18-2005, 9:10 PM
I dont think so. Its automotive paint so its very durable. The formula was posted by Chuck Hess from the islands... check out some of his OWWM postings. S-I-C-K

This guy writes down Oliver in the blank titled Religion!

Bill Simmeth
12-18-2005, 9:11 PM
Reg, the serial nbr matches a 1950 build date. There was a #2 miter guage on e*ay recently. It went for about $200 if I recall correctly.

Nice saw! Enjoy.

Reg Mitchell
12-18-2005, 9:55 PM
yes thats what i've been told Bill. If you see another give me a heads up. I talked to a guy and he said the blad guard went for about $300 :eek:
Dev do your eat sleep and breath thes odl machines , seems you are quiet knoledgable about them. Not giveing you a hard time just saying thanks :D

lou sansone
12-18-2005, 10:18 PM
oh boy another iron head ... :D :D
congratulations on the 232. I think you are going to like the oliver. the direct drive is pretty sweet.
best wishes

lou

Alan Turner
12-18-2005, 10:24 PM
Reg,
I can't speak to the type of paint, but my used tool dealer stocks the Oliver teal, in spray cans. He has it specially made.
The 232 is a very nice small saw. Actually, it is not small at all, of course, but I think it was the smallest of the Oliver line. Congrats. Good score.

Bill Simmeth
12-18-2005, 10:37 PM
Alan you must deal with Bill Kerfoot -- what a great guy! I have used his Oliver Teal and it is a very close match to the original. (BTW, have you seen his Hopewell vice?)

Dev Emch
12-18-2005, 11:55 PM
Yaba Dabba Doooooo.......

I am an old dog whom you cannt teach new tricks to..... but if you could, this would be the standard by which all vise-olgy would be measured.:D I am an old dog because I use an old kindt collins version of this vise. This one is new and improved.

Steve Stube
12-19-2005, 12:39 AM
You want to be checking the safety data sheet on Imron - it's not for the spray can painter.

I've seen a few 232's over the years but never was tempted to drag one home.

Dev, do you get excited about all Oliver stuff? How about the Oliver 585 sharpening center?

Reg Mitchell
12-19-2005, 12:54 AM
Thanks Steve, if i use the imron i can get it shot by the neighbor.
Allen I have talked to Bill Kerfoot a very nice guy and he did mention he had the Oliver paint in the spray can, enamal.
Dev you god another one of thes lol i am going to start a bench this summer with drawers under it.
The 232 seems to be nice allen. I think i will like it
Lou got any ideas on a converter for the 3 phase shile i snooping around.

Dev Emch
12-19-2005, 12:58 AM
NO WAY! There is a lot of stuff made by Oliver and others that stinks! There are a lot of oliver tools that are fantastic as well.

I am always looking for the BEST WAY of doing something. Sometimes that means buying new and sometimes that means buying old. The quest for best requires one to remain open minded. To always ask... show me whatcha got.

This grinder was made in two versions and as I recall, the 585 was a later version. First of all, these were rather corse in the stone and some of the stones are next to impossible to replace. Secondly, I have found that the Tormek grinder is the best overall mechanical approach to sharpening. I also use water stones to finish. No single approach here is a cat's meow regardless of all the marketing jazz you get fed. You gotta put some objective time in the trench. Also, the tormek works even better with the fine grit pink stone. Ideally, having two of these would be great. One for each grit of stone.

If you can get the 585 cheap, then go for it. But if it represents a significant investment, I would avoid it and pursue a tormek instead.

Just my opinions....

Alan Turner
12-19-2005, 5:03 AM
Alan you must deal with Bill Kerfoot -- what a great guy! I have used his Oliver Teal and it is a very close match to the original. (BTW, have you seen his Hopewell vice?)

Bill,

I do deal with Wild Bill Kerfoot. Bought my first tool from him, an Am. WW Machinery 12", about 5 years ago, and paid him to deliver it. Got 3 more big guys, and it now lives in my basement quite happily. If I ever sell this house, I suspect it will be with the jointer as I have no idea, short of a rigger, how we might get it out. It had to come apart to go down the stairs, and I wanted him there for the reconstruction. He got it spot on. I also used Bill as the hauler/rigger when I bought out most of a pattern shop in Conn. He is an excellent rigger. We had to get a 9' bandsaw (2500 lbs) under an 8' door, so used a chain fall and strap to put it on the lift at an angle to lower its height. All tools arrived without damage. I felt bad stealing these tools out of Lou's back yard.

I have always found Bill to be honorable. When I needed a new chuck for an old drill press, a VS Delta that I did not buy from him, I called him, and it arrived in the mail with an invoice 2 days later. He said to pay him if it worked, and it did, so today I will dispatch a check. Not many guys around that deal with people in this manner anymore.

Most recently I bought an Oliver 299, Type 2, 1957, planer form him, with grinder installed. Wonderful tool, and he had alreay painted it for me, and sharpened it. Also my W-T radial arm drill with Delta head.

A bit of a funny story. From the Conn. shop I got an old Oliver catalogue. It was an original, with the cool pen and ink renderings of the various tools. Bill knew I had it, and I had given him a photocopy, and a CD, of it. Well, he wanted the original, so I made a deal with him for a trade for some of the Oliver paint. Then, about a week later, I saw a somewhat older Oliver catalog sell on ebay. For $487!!! I emailed him the link and had a good laugh.

I have recommended a number of people to him and never heard a bad word back.

I haven ot seen his new vise as usually he delivers to me, so I have not been in his shop in years. I just buy off of a pix and a discussion. He is about 1.5 hours south of me.

lou sansone
12-19-2005, 5:49 AM
Thanks Steve, if i use the imron i can get it shot by the neighbor.
Allen I have talked to Bill Kerfoot a very nice guy and he did mention he had the Oliver paint in the spray can, enamal.
Dev you god another one of thes lol i am going to start a bench this summer with drawers under it.
The 232 seems to be nice allen. I think i will like it
Lou got any ideas on a converter for the 3 phase shile i snooping around.

I have a traditional 3 phase shop, so I don't do the converter thing, but a lot of guys here do and I am sure they will be glad to give advise.

lou

tod evans
12-19-2005, 10:24 AM
nice saw reg!

Dev Emch
12-19-2005, 2:16 PM
Alan....
Check out the picture of the vise I posted a bit up. That is Kerfoot's new vise. I have had dealings with several dealers and got badly burned. My vise and, indirectly, my martin T-17 came from Kerfoot. I am very pleased with the deals I got from Kerfoot.

Reg Mitchell
12-19-2005, 8:31 PM
Hey Allen
I did send Bill a e-mail today and i will have the paint to do the saw in a few days. Not in any real big hurry though but i do want to get the paint so when i am ready i will have it. Real nice guy Bill thanks for the lead.