PDA

View Full Version : Extra Long 3/4" Delta Shaper Spindle?

Greg Galbreath
11-27-2019, 11:04 AM
I recently purchased an older, Delta shaper (model #43-379), to use for pattern work, and I now realize that the 3" spindle on it isn't long enough to handle the 3" spiral planer cutter I want to use. The rub collar and reduction bushings add about an extra 1", so I am looking for a 4-3/8" spindle. I've tracked down the part number, which is 43.821, but am having trouble finding anyone who carries them. Does anyone out there happen to have an extra one that they would sell, or know of anywhere, or anyone, that might be able to help me.
Thanks!
Greg

Mike Hollingsworth
11-27-2019, 1:54 PM
If it exists you'll find it on eBay sooner or later Good Luck.

Mike Kees
11-27-2019, 7:19 PM
I would think twice about trying to run a 3'' tall spiral cutter on that machine,it will be almost as high as the size of the spindle cartridge underneath the table. Do you need the full three inch height ?

Greg Galbreath
11-27-2019, 8:27 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking it's probably easier to work out a way to do what I want to do with the 3" spindle. Thanks for the advise!

Jim Becker
11-28-2019, 10:00 AM
I'm no shaper guru...never having owned or used one...but I would think that with "only" a .75" spindle, it may not be up to the stress of running something that tall/large whereas something with a 1.25" or 30mm spindle would have the beef necessary to do that without blinking. 'Just something to think about...

Mike Cutler
11-28-2019, 10:41 AM
Greg
Are you looking at the Amana insert head? I know that it's fairly tall. If so you may want to look at the selection from Byrd. Theirs are in differing lengths and have a smaller radius than the Amana.
If you have the router collet adapter for your shaper, you may want to consider the 1/2" spiral bit with top bearing from Whiteside. It's definitely not a cheap bit, but it works really well in a small shaper. It's also only got a 1/2" radius as opposed to 3" to 4" radius.
I have a 43-375, so I kinda know where you're coming from. I have the longer 1" spindle on mine right now.