PDA

View Full Version : What do I use to clean black pipe?

Terry Starch
11-26-2019, 12:03 PM
I’ve never cleaned them and this time I want to after seeing some black spots on my projects. I’m not good online so please help me here. What stuff do I clean these with? Thanks, everyone

Jim Becker
11-26-2019, 12:04 PM
Personally, I'd use naphtha or alcohol.

Doug Garson
11-26-2019, 12:07 PM
Not sure what the best way to clean the pipe, I just use painters tape on all my clamps where the pipe or bar contacts the workpiece to prevent staining.

Bruce Page
11-26-2019, 12:09 PM
It’s a messy process but mineral spirits has worked for me in the past.

Richard Coers
11-26-2019, 12:19 PM
Black spots on your project is likely a chemical reaction between the steel pipe, tannic acid in the wood, and moisture from the glue. If it really is oil, I prefer Simple Green.

Doug Garson
11-26-2019, 12:44 PM
Black spots on your project is likely a chemical reaction between the steel pipe, tannic acid in the wood, and moisture from the glue. If it really is oil, I prefer Simple Green.
That's why I use the painters tape, cleaning the pipe won't solve the problem, sealing the pipe with a coating might help which the tape does. I think part of the chemical reaction is with the glue so sometimes I just cover the areas near the glue joints.

Alan Schwabacher
11-26-2019, 1:36 PM
Tape works to keep dirt, oil, or simply the iron surface away from you work, but it needs to be reapplied each time you change the clamping length. If you slice PVC pipe into 1" long cylinders, then put a kerf in each on the bandsaw, these can easily be popped onto the pipe. They can easily slide along the pipe to hold work away from the pipe surface as you clamp. While they can be installed or removed in seconds, I simply leave them in place on my pipe clamps, sliding them into position for use.

Doug Garson
11-26-2019, 1:45 PM
Tape works to keep dirt, oil, or simply the iron surface away from you work, but it needs to be reapplied each time you change the clamping length. If you slice PVC pipe into 1" long cylinders, then put a kerf in each on the bandsaw, these can easily be popped onto the pipe. They can easily slide along the pipe to hold work away from the pipe surface as you clamp. While they can be installed or removed in seconds, I simply leave them in place on my pipe clamps, sliding them into position for use.
Sounds like a great idea, time to check my scrap pvc pipe stash (I never throw anything away just for this reason).

Richard Coers
11-26-2019, 2:36 PM
I haven't let pipe touch wood for decades, but I'm centering the contact point of the wood on the center of the tightening screw. Best way to keep from bowing the glue up by centering the forces on the center of the wood. The pvc may not be thick enough to do that, but would certainly keep the pipe out of the glue.

Bill Carey
11-26-2019, 4:13 PM
Sounds like a great idea, time to check my scrap pvc pipe stash (I never throw anything away just for this reason).

2nd that. Great, simple idea. I'll be digging thru the plumbing section of my basement tonight.

Frederick Skelly
11-26-2019, 4:21 PM
Some methods for cleaning are also discussed in this thread from July. LINK (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?275788-What-is-the-black-stuff-on-black-iron-pipe&highlight=Black+pipe)

Lee Schierer
11-26-2019, 5:31 PM

I was going to say the same thing except for the simple green part.:rolleyes:

Terry Starch
11-26-2019, 8:16 PM
Thanks again for the info. I will try a few of these and see what works for me. Thanks everyone, Terry

Jim Becker
11-26-2019, 8:19 PM
Terry, even with my parallel clamps, I put a little clear packing tape on the clamp rail to keep glue from sticking and with pipe clamps, you'd get the same benefit plus protection from any marking like you describe.

Tom Bender
12-03-2019, 6:07 AM
I'm going to try some refrigerator magnets.

Mark Wooden
12-03-2019, 8:32 AM
I clean my clamps with mineral spirits when they need it but to keep glue from sticking to them and from making spots, I rub a block of canning wax on the bars or pipe. Easy to use, stays on for a while and easy to brush off the surface of the glue up if some sticks, usually doesn't.

Charles Lent
12-03-2019, 11:15 AM
I just wax the pipe or bars of my clamps with Johnson's Paste Wax. It also keeps the glue from sticking in the threads of my Bessey clamp bars (if I coat the thread notches well).

Charley