PDA

View Full Version : Sycamore Bowl

Glenn Hodges
12-18-2005, 6:32 PM
This sycamore bowl is 14.25 inches in diameter by 6.5 inches tall, finished with tung oil, and buffed. It was leaning to much toward an old farm house so they asked me if I wanted it. I paticularily liked the color when I made the first cut. You can see some malachite inlay I used in some cracks. As always your comments are welcomed about my work.

Andy Hoyt
12-18-2005, 6:59 PM
Glenn - That's a gorgeous hunk of sycamore and I do like the malachite. The rim easily doubles as a handle for some aggressive stirring or mixing.

Bernie Weishapl
12-18-2005, 7:07 PM
Glenn that is a beautiful bowl. I like the color. I like the rim on it.

Mark Cothren
12-18-2005, 7:41 PM
Nice work Glenn! Is that rim a full rounded bead, or does it taper into the outer wall?

I've been huntin' me some Sycamore, but haven't found any on the ground yet.

Thanks for the pictures!

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-18-2005, 7:46 PM
Great work as usual, Glenn. I especially like the suttle detail on the inside of the lip. Classy!

Bruce

John Miliunas
12-18-2005, 8:06 PM
Wonderful piece, Glenn! I too like both, the inlay and the rim detail. Your finish is killer, as well!:) :cool:

Ed Scolforo
12-18-2005, 8:43 PM
Glenn, I love the warmth of the wood and what you did with the rim. The malachite adds an interesting contrast. Good work!
Ed

Keith Burns
12-18-2005, 8:47 PM
Very very nice. Great form and finish. Like your unusual rim treatment.:)

Ernie Nyvall
12-18-2005, 11:14 PM
Very nice bowl Glenn. You sure get brilliantly colored malachite and on others red coral. Mind saying where you get it?

Ernie

John Hart
12-19-2005, 7:39 AM
Beautiful bowl and nice wood Glen. You got the touch sir.

Glenn Hodges
12-19-2005, 9:17 AM
Thank you for the comments. The rim is rolled down under and I get the malachite from ebay. I believe the color of the sycamore comes from the age of the tree. This thing was so large I had to leave most of the tree at the house. It forked after about 10 feet of height, and this bowl came from a piece of the fork about 25 feet up the tree. I don't know the age of the tree, but the old home was built before the big war (down here that is the War Between The States), and people liked sycamore in their yards for shade, and to keep the kids busy raking leaves. Never, Never, Never, try and split a sycamore log.

Mark Hulette
12-19-2005, 6:07 PM
Hey Glenn--

Really like the sycamore! I'm surprised that it finished so dark- love it!

I found a bit of spalted sycamore a week or so ago (neighbor cuttings) and am looking to see what's inside- A question about your finishing: how long between applying the tung oil and buffing? I really like your finishing treatment of this bowl!

Thanks for sharing!

Chris Barton
12-19-2005, 6:27 PM
Glenn,

Great bowl! I really like the inlace and lip treatment!

Glenn Hodges
12-19-2005, 8:36 PM
Mark, thanks for the nice comments. I applied 5 coats of a mixture of equal parts of polymerized tung oil, spar polyurethene, and pure turpentine. I apply about a coat a day, wiping off each coat after about 5 or so minutes of it soaking in. After the 5th coat, sometimes only 3 coats, as you can see it varries, I wait from 3 to 5 days because all this depends on the temperature This mixture cures faster in a warmer temp. I then buff. This gives me a good durable finish which shines, and one my customers like. I hope this helps. If I have not been clear enough for you let me know.

Mark Hulette
12-19-2005, 10:21 PM
Mark, thanks for the nice comments. I applied 5 coats of a mixture of equal parts of polymerized tung oil, spar polyurethene, and pure turpentine. I apply about a coat a day, wiping off each coat after about 5 or so minutes of it soaking in. After the 5th coat, sometimes only 3 coats, as you can see it varries, I wait from 3 to 5 days because all this depends on the temperature This mixture cures faster in a warmer temp. I then buff. This gives me a good durable finish which shines, and one my customers like. I hope this helps. If I have not been clear enough for you let me know.

Glenn- That's as clear as crystal! or should I say the finish on your bowl! :D
I think Santa might be bringing a Beall 3 wheel buffing system so I'll have to try out your recipe when I get to turn the sycamore I "found"! Thanks for the reply!