PDA

View Full Version : Resin resources

brad hays
11-24-2019, 7:10 AM
I'm jumping back into woodworking specifically to learn more about resin tables and similar projects. I'm searched all the woodworking forums that have come up on google but I haven't seen any forums specifically dedicated to resin topics. Is there something like this around, maybe sponsored by one of the resin suppliers that I haven't stumbled upon yet? I'd hate to keep bothering general woodworking forums with resin questions.

Also, earlier in my research I found a supplier that had a page of many of the tools you need when working with resin tables and one of those was a 3" 4 blade router bit that planed a surface. For the life of me I can't find that supplier's page again. Does this sound familiar to anyone? It's not Black Forest or Stone Coat Countertop. If not, would anyone have a good suggestion for a similar router bit? The one listed on that particular supplier's page was about $100.

Jim Becker
11-24-2019, 11:05 AM
Amana has tooling like you describe, but something that large may be difficult and dangerous to use in any kind of hand-held router. It would at least have to be on a flattening/surfacing sled setup. 2" would be safer and those are also available.

brad hays
11-30-2019, 5:43 AM
Thanks for the advice Jim. Yes it would be used on a router sled.

Jim Becker
11-30-2019, 12:48 PM
So stick with the 2" for that setup for safety. You really will like using the insert style cutter...surfacing operations are hard work and being able to put a "new" edge to the wood quickly and easily without replacing the whole cutter or hoping that sharpening will be accurate and identical across multiple cutting points is a nice thing. The higher initial cost of an insert cutter for this work "goes away" in a short period of time. I'm glad I bought mine for that reason.

Steve Fish
11-30-2019, 2:55 PM
Brad, is there any info on the Allumilite or Smooth-on forums? You might have to piece together the info you’re looking for unfortunately