PDA

View Full Version : Buckeye Hollow Form

Earl Eyre
12-18-2005, 2:24 PM
Here's the piece I was talking about in John's thread of his Buckey pen. It's 5"x8"x1/4". I hollowed the piece them seperated it into two pieces. After alot of unmentionable words I got the inside sanded. Finally let it dry (it was green) and then used a flap sander on the drill press for the inside. That only worked because it was in two pieces so I could get it to the sander. I then drilled 32 1/8" in the top and bottom pieces and glued in
1 1/2" pieces of 1/8" cane. I wove around the cane with thin seagrass rope. The middle band is dyed brown. Finished with 2 coats of shellac and 3 of Deft spray lacquer, then buffed.
Earl

Harry Pye
12-18-2005, 2:30 PM
Earl,

That is really very nice. I could spend the rest of my life and never come up with an idea like that. You have both the skill and the artistic ability.

Andy Hoyt
12-18-2005, 2:56 PM
That is very cool Earl. And totally unique as well. Must have been a logistical nightmare.

Chip Sutherland
12-18-2005, 4:29 PM
That's wonderful. My mom is a professional basketweaver. Since I learned how to turn, she's wanted to collaborate on a turned & woven basket. We've not set a shape but she's coming to TX tomorrow. I'm thinking a bowl bottom/short sides with bulk of the sides woven to a hooped handle cut on my bandsaw.

ROBERT SCHUMAN
12-18-2005, 5:22 PM
That is a beautiful piece ! Well done!

Keith Burns
12-18-2005, 8:59 PM
Very nice. Great shape and I like the unique treatment:)

Ken Fitzgerald
12-18-2005, 10:19 PM
Earl....I'm not a turner but you don't have to be an artist to appreciate a good piece of art. That bowl is just that a fantastic piece of art!

Carole Valentine
12-18-2005, 10:22 PM
VERY unique, Earl! I love it.:)

Ernie Nyvall
12-18-2005, 11:19 PM
Earl, you certainly have a knack for mixing the mediums. Very nice.

Ernie

Earl Eyre
12-19-2005, 1:15 AM
My mom is a professional basketweaver. Since I learned how to turn, she's wanted to collaborate on a turned & woven basket. We've not set a shape but she's coming to TX tomorrow. I'm thinking a bowl bottom/short sides with bulk of the sides woven to a hooped handle cut on my bandsaw.

Sounds great. It really is fun to combine mediums and try different things. If you and your mom get it made, I hope you will post it.

Thanks to the rest of you for your comments. I have only made a couple with the sea grass embellishment so I will have to do more. I usually use pine needle coiling.

Earl

Dick Parr
12-19-2005, 7:06 AM
Very nice Earl, love the grain and color.

John Hart
12-19-2005, 7:20 AM
Earl....when you mentioned it the other day....I didn't imagine anything so beautiful!!!! Like Ken said....You don't have to be a turner to appreciate that piece....That says a lot! You got the touch!:) :) :)

Rich Stewart
12-20-2005, 9:37 AM
WOW!!! That is fantastic!! How in the world did you get all the holes to line up? Hahaha. Maybe I'll attempt something like that in a few years. Thanks for the pics.

Mark Cothren
12-20-2005, 9:47 AM
Nice work, Earl! Pretty creative!

Thanks for the picture!

Earl Eyre
12-21-2005, 2:51 AM
WOW!!! That is fantastic!! How in the world did you get all the holes to line up? Hahaha. Maybe I'll attempt something like that in a few years. Thanks for the pics.

It's really very easy: just take a pencil draw a line all the way around the bowl where you are going to cut it in half. Then take a compass or divider (set at 3/4" in this case) and walk it around the bowl and make a mark across both sides of the line. When you get all the way around you probably won't meet perfectly but just adjust the last 4 or 5 marks slightly and nobody will notice. Now you don't need to wait a few years. LOL

Earl

Earl Eyre
12-21-2005, 2:58 AM
Just found out this is Claro Walnut! I now remember that I bought this at our local Cook Woods along with some other wood with a gift certificate and it was Claro Walnut. Somebody pointed out that it definitely wasn't Buckeye. I found the piece of Buckeye I thought I was turning in my lumber stack today!

Earl