PDA

View Full Version : Need a router bit but can't find it

Doug Keener
07-08-2003, 12:11 AM
I'm looking for what is called an 'inverted ogee' or 'reverse ogee' bit with 1.125 OD and in a plunge style. It is used to put a decorative groove in cabinet doors. I've checked Whiteside, Eagle, MLCS, CMT, Jasada, Woodline, Katana and don't see one without a tip bearing. For some reason I can't get to the Freud site. They're probably the one place that has it and I can't get to it.

Some time ago I recall seeing an ad for router bits that stated that they had a removable bearing on the tip but it did not have a stub shaft so that it could be used as a plunge bit also. Can't find that ad either.

I'm trying to match an existing door, if possible. Does anyone have other sources besides the ones I have tried. It wouldn't be practicle to have one made since I'm only making two doors. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance, Doug Keener

Keith Outten
07-08-2003, 7:32 AM
Doug,

You might try Grizzly, they have a fair selection of router bits.

If you can't find a router bit you can consider using an end mill cutter. Made for cutting metal end mills are often a superior alternative to router bits and they are available in literally hundreds of styles. End mills are normally cheaper than router bits, more precise and the quality of cut is awesome. Make sure that you order end mills with a shank size to fit your router. I've been using end mills for twenty years, there are several dealers who sell metal working equipment in my home town so accessibility is very high and generally I have more profile choices with end mills but there are some traditional designs for woodworking that aren't available.

Ron Meadows
07-08-2003, 9:02 AM
Check CMT again. I have the very bit. I used it to make several MDF doors. It has the bearing on the bottom of the bit back towards the shank. I don't have the number for it with me here at work, but I'll gladly send it too ya if you want.

There is also a company called CarbiTool in Australia that makes all kinds of plunge profile bits for MDF doors and such. I've bought several from them and they are a good quality bit as well.

Hope this helps,

Ron

Steve Clardy
07-08-2003, 9:13 AM
If you have no luck with the other suggestions, try routerbits. com
They have quite a selection. I know they have ones similar to what you are looking for, as i bought a bowl bit from them. To use as a plunge bit, just remove the keeper and slide the bearing off. Steve

Wendell Wilkerson
07-08-2003, 10:40 AM
I buy a lot of my bits from Magnate (www.magnate.net (http://www.magnate.net)). They sell alot of plunge profile bits for use on Legacy mills. They might have what you're looking for.

Wendell