PDA

View Full Version : Gluing primed MDF.

Jeff C Johnson
11-22-2019, 10:08 AM
Hello. I am considering making a torsion workbench and was eyeing the 1x4 mdf boards at the box stores for their consistency in width. I could rip them on my t-saw, but I figured the 1x4's would be more precise in case I get any drift on my rip cuts.

All the boards I see at the local big box stores they are pre-primed. I assume I would need to do a light sanding to remove the primer to get glue to stick to the edges of these boards? Or does Tightbond work on primed material well?

Thanks.
Jeff

Jamie Buxton
11-22-2019, 10:57 AM
Titebond does not glue well to painted surfaces.

Jeff C Johnson
11-22-2019, 1:20 PM
Titebond does not glue well to painted surfaces.

Yeah, that was about what I thought too. I'll just make my own with the tablesaw

Doug Garson
11-22-2019, 3:18 PM
If you are concerned about ripping 1" MDF sheets on your table saw (I wouldn't want to do it on my saw), you could buy the 1 x 4's and just skim off half a saw curf on your table saw to get rid of the paint. More expensive than starting with a 4 x 8 sheet but easier on the back.

Jeff C Johnson
11-22-2019, 3:27 PM
If you are concerned about ripping 1" MDF sheets on your table saw (I wouldn't want to do it on my saw), you could buy the 1 x 4's and just skim off half a saw curf on your table saw to get rid of the paint. More expensive than starting with a 4 x 8 sheet but easier on the back.

when I say 1x4 mdf, they're actually 3/4" thick. Yeah, I hear you on the labor side. I would probably have it ripped into thirds (32") at the shop, then in half (16") on the saw, then do 3.5" rips.

Doug Garson
11-22-2019, 3:52 PM
Yes, that should work ( I assume by shop you mean the store you buy the MDF at) although I have heard some stores won't cut MDF on their panel saws due to the fine dust.

Jeff C Johnson
11-22-2019, 4:07 PM
Yes, that should work ( I assume by shop you mean the store you buy the MDF at) although I have heard some stores won't cut MDF on their panel saws due to the fine dust.

Interesting -- didn't know that. I'll need to ask next time I'm there. I know HD and L both have dust collection on their saws, but I'll ask.

Jim Becker
11-22-2019, 9:57 PM
Don't assume those pre-primed MDF boards at the home center are all exactly the same width...and for a torsion box that is dead flat, they really do need to be absolutely spot on.

Doug Garson
11-22-2019, 10:07 PM
Don't assume those pre-primed MDF boards at the home center are all exactly the same width...and for a torsion box that is dead flat, they really do need to be absolutely spot on.
That's easily resolved by recutting them to remove the paint and set the width.

Edward Dyas
11-22-2019, 10:39 PM
Hello. I am considering making a torsion workbench and was eyeing the 1x4 mdf boards at the box stores for their consistency in width. I could rip them on my t-saw, but I figured the 1x4's would be more precise in case I get any drift on my rip cuts.

All the boards I see at the local big box stores they are pre-primed. I assume I would need to do a light sanding to remove the primer to get glue to stick to the edges of these boards? Or does Tightbond work on primed material well?

Thanks.
JeffKeep in mind the primer isn't just on the surface, it's penetrated into the MDF and you would have sand deep enough to remove that before you could use any PVA glue. About the only adhesive you could use would be epoxy but you would still need to remove most of the primer.

Rob Charles
11-23-2019, 8:28 AM
Keep in mind the primer isn't just on the surface, it's penetrated into the MDF and you would have sand deep enough to remove that before you could use any PVA glue. About the only adhesive you could use would be epoxy but you would still need to remove most of the primer.

And that primer can vary in thickness & can be quite brittle.

Peter Kuhlman
11-23-2019, 8:42 AM
I would just use my track saw for this on full sized sheets. I would use a stop block or measure and mark with a knife to get accurate cuts. Could contain the majority of the dust that way. If no track saw I would rough cut out in the driveway and then rip on the table saw for finished edges.