PDA

View Full Version : Keller dovetail jig repair

Maurice Arney
11-20-2019, 4:56 PM
Just got the Keller 1500 jig yesterday and have been practicing on my router table. Unfortunately, at one point I had the tail bit set too low so the bearing missed and put a "divet" on the inside of one of the fingers. It may turn out not be a problem but I'm wondering if anyone else has done this and if so, can it be filled and sanded with epoxy or something?

Thanks

ChrisA Edwards
11-20-2019, 6:01 PM
I'd use JB Weld to fix it. I've used that on motorcycle (aluminum) clutch covers, while out dirt biking, after we put a rock through the case. Bonds very well and can be filed smooth.

Robert Cherry
11-20-2019, 8:25 PM
Agreed, JB Weld would be a good option for this repair.

Mark e Kessler
11-20-2019, 8:37 PM
I asked the same question to David Keller recently, below is his parsed response.

”...It is, then, important to keep the template edges clean and intact. However, a minor knick in either the aluminum or phenolic plate can be repaired, filling it with a high-density epoxy putty such as J-B Weld. It makes an excellent and long-lasting repair”

Bill Dufour
11-20-2019, 11:40 PM
JB weld worked on the aluminum guide finger of my jig.
Bill D

Maurice Arney
11-21-2019, 5:44 AM
I asked the same question to David Keller recently, below is his parsed response.

”...It is, then, important to keep the template edges clean and intact. However, a minor knick in either the aluminum or phenolic plate can be repaired, filling it with a high-density epoxy putty such as J-B Weld. It makes an excellent and long-lasting repair”

Straight from the "horses mouth."

Seems like a consensus!

Thanks everyone!

Lee Schierer
11-21-2019, 8:18 PM
I did a similar oops with my router jig. I purchased some PC-7 two part epoxy, mixed up the amount needed, pressed it into the divot, leaving enough excess that I could come back after it set up and dress the finish to the exact shape needed with a regular file. It has stayed in place for more than 10 years with no issues.
A trick I learned when working with this epoxy is that you can smooth the surface with a wet finger.