PDA

View Full Version : OT: DVD decoder copy question.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
12-18-2005, 12:56 PM
I am looking at decoders so I can watch BG's DVD on my computer. Roxio's unit appears to be ok but they want $15 for the download and $17 for a back up disk. Can I just make a backup disk from my harddrive after the download?

Chuck Wintle
12-18-2005, 2:49 PM
I am looking at decoders so I can watch BG's DVD on my computer. Roxio's unit appears to be ok but they want $15 for the download and $17 for a back up disk. Can I just make a backup disk from my harddrive after the download?
what is a "BG's DVD"? and what type of decoder is required?

Vaughn McMillan
12-18-2005, 4:35 PM
Don, assuming you have a CD burner on your computer, yes, you should be able to make a backup disk for a lot less than $17. That said, I'll echo Charles' questions: what's "BG's DVD" and what kind of decoder are they asking for? Most DVD drives in computers also come with the software necessary for playing DVDs (in my case, it always seems that "Power DVD" is the software supplied). Does your DVD drive not have the ability to already play DVDs, or is there something different about the DVD you're trying to play?

- Vaughn

Andy Hoyt
12-18-2005, 4:45 PM
..... That said, I'll echo Charles' questions: what's "BG's DVD" .....

That would be this (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=16798). One of our very own.

Loy Hawes
12-18-2005, 4:56 PM
Download Media Player Classic (http://www.divx-digest.com/software/media_player_classic.html). It is free and will play DVDs.

12-18-2005, 9:26 PM
Andy is right on. I was talking about Bill Grumbine's turning a bowl DVD. I supposedly have a DVD in my computer but it will not play Bill's video. From what I have read I need rhe decoder software to make it work. I'll try the Media Player Classic, Loy< and see if that works for me. Thanks, to all.

Loy Hawes
12-19-2005, 10:19 PM
Did media player classic work out for you Don?

Frank Guerin
12-22-2005, 9:42 AM
I hope this thread doesn'r dir yet. I'm still trying to make mine work. I bought the sonic cd and still no luck. I think maybe I'm missing some part in the PC itself. Of course I'm old and dumb to this stuff.

Travis Porter
12-22-2005, 9:52 AM
I hope this thread doesn'r dir yet. I'm still trying to make mine work. I bought the sonic cd and still no luck. I think maybe I'm missing some part in the PC itself. Of course I'm old and dumb to this stuff.

If you have a true DVD player in your PC (not just a CD) if you have the right player, you can play DVD's. With Windows XP, Windows Media Player normally is able to use the DVD drive without any issues.

Jay Fields
12-22-2005, 10:59 AM
Don:
There are several free computer based DVD media “players” out there. Usually DVD “recording” software comes with the DVD-writer. Most people pay for a DVD recorder only if they are trying to thwart the copy protection algorithms. I assumes Bill G’s DVD is copywrited material. Not that I think you are trying to save $30 by pirating a 2nd copy for yourself, but others might ponder the integrity of your “backup”.
JF

12-22-2005, 11:19 AM
First to stifle any suspicions, I need a DVD PLAYER not a recorder. I already have Bill's DVD and don't need another. Second, I found I have been taken, probably not on purpose but I don't have a DVD player. I had two CD players on my old computer; one was an HP 9100 CD writer. When I had my new computer put together I took in my old one and the tech was supposed to have transferred the old CD writer to the new computer and install a DVD player. Instead he put in a new Samsung CD which I didn't need. I called him and he said to bring in the computer and he would check things out. If I am lucky he will change the CD for a DVD and I will be in business.

BTW. I did download a Videolan VLC player with a decoder, but of course that couldn't work since I don't have DVD.

Jay, Have you gone to Device Manager to check and see that your unit is really a DVD player and not just a CD player? That is where I found what my unit is.

Frank Guerin
12-22-2005, 7:57 PM
If you have a true DVD player in your PC (not just a CD) if you have the right player, you can play DVD's. With Windows XP, Windows Media Player normally is able to use the DVD drive without any issues.

I have WindowsXP and Windows media player. Evidently I don't have a DVD drive. I have two cd drive's (slots). I guess one is for listening and the other for copying. I wish I wasn't so dumb about this. In another 20 years it won't make any difference anyway.

12-22-2005, 10:42 PM
Frank, I am just an 86 year old (in January) guy whose grey matter is rapidly decaying, but I have learned just enough about computers to be dangerous. I am confused by your statement that you have two CD's (slots). Do you mean that you have places for two CD's or you actually have two CD's.? Either way you could easily put in a DVD if you have an IDE slot for one. I Although I tecnically have no idea what makes things go in a computer I have always replaced bad components and or/installed new things in my computer with no problems. I have relaced modems, sound cards, hard drives, cd players, floppy disks, etc. I really missed the boat when I had a shop build my last computer. I now realize I could have done it myself and got a lot more computer for less money. The mechanics of making changes is pretty much erector set play. Give it a try.

Frank Guerin
12-23-2005, 9:22 AM
I have two slots. I believe one is a read cd (d) and the other is a cd-rw (e). I also have the floppy slot (a).
Thanks for your reply. I'm feel fortunate that I can log on here to hear what all the good woodworkers are doing.

Chuck Wintle
12-23-2005, 9:42 AM
I have two slots. I believe one is a read cd (d) and the other is a cd-rw (e). I also have the floppy slot (a).
Thanks for your reply. I'm feel fortunate that I can log on here to hear what all the good woodworkers are doing.
If you look in system hardware manager you can see the actual model numbers of the frives you have. That way you will know for sure what you have.

Peter Stahl
12-23-2005, 12:02 PM
First to stifle any suspicions, I need a DVD PLAYER not a recorder. I already have Bill's DVD and don't need another. Second, I found I have been taken, probably not on purpose but I don't have a DVD player. I had two CD players on my old computer; one was an HP 9100 CD writer. When I had my new computer put together I took in my old one and the tech was supposed to have transferred the old CD writer to the new computer and install a DVD player. Instead he put in a new Samsung CD which I didn't need. I called him and he said to bring in the computer and he would check things out. If I am lucky he will change the CD for a DVD and I will be in business.

BTW. I did download a Videolan VLC player with a decoder, but of course that couldn't work since I don't have DVD.

Jay, Have you gone to Device Manager to check and see that your unit is really a DVD player and not just a CD player? That is where I found what my unit is.

Don,

If you need to buy a DVD Player, go with a DVD Burner not just a player. They don't cost that much now. I got this one (DVD BURNER LITE-ON SOHW-1693S )from Newegg and been really please with it so far. Only thing with a DVD burner you need at least a Pentium III with a fast processor. I guess you could get a CD Burner/DVD ROM combo if you have a older PC.

Travis Porter
12-23-2005, 12:23 PM
The drive would say dvd on the front of it if it was a DVD. If it says CD only, that is what it is.

12-23-2005, 3:29 PM
Frank, since the CD writer will also read cd's I can't see a need for both CD units. You could replace the reader with a DVD if your computer is not too old and you really want one.

Frank Guerin
12-23-2005, 3:38 PM
Thanks Don. This PC is only two years old. I didin't know enough then (and still don't) to know what I was buying. I wonder if I could just make one out of wood.

12-23-2005, 9:14 PM
Frank if you have two CD's, one a reader and one a writer, you really don't need the reader since the writer will also read CD's At least mine does. You could replace the reader with a DVD if your computer isn't too old and you want a DVD.