PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who like to Spray!

Ken Ventress
07-07-2003, 11:56 PM
During my last project(kitchen table), I experimented with all types of different stains and finishes and tried spraying a few, for the 1st time. I noticed that I was getting a few water droplets in the finish while spraying and I would like to try my hand at spraying but I saw an obvious need for a water or vapour filter in order to get a decent finish laid on. I would assume(dangerous, I know) that the closer to the gun or, on the other hand, farther from the tank the filter is, the better. What type (or types) of filters do you use? Where do you have it located, on your set up? I plan to set something up, once I get the new shop up and running as finishing larger pieces by brush or rags are so time consuming and difficult under extremely low humidity conditions. Thanks for your hints and advice as I'm sure others are also interested in spraying but are intimidated by all the 'Black Magic' associated with spraying. I would prefer to use WB products, so that I won't need a fancy explosion proof fan etc., health reasons and to keep the costs down!

Cheers, Ken.... trying to sort it all out,....in Penticton

Byron Trantham
07-08-2003, 7:57 AM
Ken, I have a water trap right at the outlet of the compressor. Its about 2" in diameter and bout 4" tall. I have another water trap right at the point where I connect my coil hose that attaches to the gun. Its made by Campbell Hausfeld (sp?). I bought it from HD. I use WB products and have not experienced water being deposited on my projects. I use an HVLP conversion gun and that sucker likes air! My compressor cycles a lot and I have a 30 gal tank. When I finish the water bowl on the smaller trap can be about half full of water. Just press the little air valve (like a tire valve) and expel the water. Hope this helps.

Steve Clardy
07-08-2003, 9:05 AM
Like Bryon, I filter at the compressor and gun. Except I have a double filter on the compressor, and my gun filter is right on the gun, between the gun and the regulator thats attached to the gun. It's a small plastic affair, costs about 6 dollars. It does the final filtering that the other filters do not catch. These can be purchased at auto body supply houses. They are throwaway, but when they become saturated, you can put them up for a while and they will dry out and can re-use them.
I used to think there was a lot of magic in spraying, but no more. Its easy once you get the basics down. Sure lots easier and faster than the rag and brush. Steve

Eric Apple - Central IN
07-08-2003, 9:29 AM
Same here... Two filters - one on the compressor output which catches little water. The one right on the gun catches more water on my setup. Like the others said, I have a little $15 clear trap with like a tire valve which you press to empty out the water contained. I never let more then about 1/4" of water accumulate before draining.

I also like to WB products and the quick finish schedule that they allow.

Special tips ?

strain the finish - I use an old nylon stocking, and use worthy filters if your gun can use them.

you can leave WB finish in a gun with SS wet parts all day with no problems.

fuhr & target both have great WB products.

Seal wb & alcohol dye before shooting, or use a very light mist coat prior to shooting your first heavy coat.

Don't apply the fuhr products to heavy, or you will get a "star" crazing pattern as it dries. You also get this if you apply over uncured shellac (<4 hrs dry).

vasoline is a perfectly fine gun lube even with WB.

Ken Ventress
07-09-2003, 12:29 AM
Okay, so when I get my shop up and running and plumbed for air with the street Ls for the takeoffs and drops, with Ts, a filter on that connection(last one will be for my spray setup) which should be approx. 25' - 30' from the compressor, should be adequate along with an inline filter just before the gun? Thanks for your time and info.
Cheers Ken

Todd Burch
07-10-2003, 9:36 AM
Yes, that should be fine. Todd.