PDA

View Full Version : I'm retired and bored . . .

lowell holmes
11-17-2019, 2:20 PM
and I have built both these chairs.

https://www.sustainlife.org/product-category/classes/traditional-crafts/woodworking-furniture-courses/advanced-wood-furniture-making-courses/

I have made three craftsman rockers and five Brazos rockers.

I need a new design to build.

Any suggestions?

Mikail Khan
11-17-2019, 2:23 PM
Windsor chair

Hal Taylor rocker

roger wiegand
11-17-2019, 2:28 PM
Maloof style sculptured rocker-- maybe a two seat settee style. Or perhaps a table to set next to the rockers. Or an upholstered style chair in any style ranging from art nouveau to MCM.

John TenEyck
11-17-2019, 2:49 PM
Maybe something besides chairs?

John

Andrew Hughes
11-17-2019, 3:20 PM
When I get caught up on my list of builds I make boxes. There’s just no end to box designs

lowell holmes
11-17-2019, 4:12 PM
I also made the Windsor chair in that collection. I would have to buy a lathe or do you think I it would be feasible to make hexagons and then plane then plane and spoke shave the edges to round? Have any of you done that?

Bill Dufour
11-17-2019, 4:14 PM
Morris chair that reclines? Find the cushions first and modify the design so they fit.
Bill D.

Jamie Buxton
11-17-2019, 6:49 PM
Queen Anne highboy. Carved cockle shell and all. That will keep you busy for quite a while.

Jacob Reverb
11-17-2019, 6:54 PM
Morris chair that reclines? Find the cushions first and modify the design so they fit.
Bill D.

That's what I was going to suggest. Those look like nice chairs.

John K Jordan
11-17-2019, 7:07 PM
... I would have to buy a lathe or do you think I it would be feasible to ...

I recommend adding a lathe! Not only can you turn legs and such but zillions of other things. Never be bored again.

JKJ

Dick Mahany
11-17-2019, 7:56 PM
I recommend adding a lathe! Not only can you turn legs and such but zillions of other things. Never be bored again.

JKJ

Truer words have never been spoken :D

Frederick Skelly
11-17-2019, 9:01 PM
A lathe is a good idea Lowell. Harbor Freight sells one for about $300 (less if coupon) plus another $60 for tools. I have one and it's a pretty nice (basic) machine.

An off the wall idea that I stumbled on when I was bored myself recently: chip carving. If your hands are in pretty good shape (no arthritis, etc) it will cost less than $100 to get started.

Fred

Edwin Santos
11-17-2019, 9:09 PM
Lowell,
What if you took up pencil and paper and set about coming up with your own designs? You could use pieces that appeal to you as a jumping off point.

I would think for yourself and your family, original pieces that were designed by you would have a special meaning. Original design takes you into the realm of models, mock-ups, iterative design refinements, but incredibly rewarding and 100% yours.

Release the Kraken!

Edwin

David Buchhauser
11-17-2019, 9:31 PM

https://www.sustainlife.org/product-category/classes/traditional-crafts/woodworking-furniture-courses/advanced-wood-furniture-making-courses/

Any suggestions?

Or maybe get into some metal working projects to augment your woodworking skills.
David

Prashun Patel
11-18-2019, 8:36 AM
Lowell, You can certainly make an octagon round with spokeshaves.

I've gotten a lot of satisfaction doing some green woodworking this last couple years.

I also enjoy my lathe. It gives me options in the flat world, but also allows me to use a lot of 'found' wood. I hesitate to recommend getting a lathe though, because it really can be addictive and a $$ sink. It's a wonderful complement to the flat work we do, tho. I'd recommend you visit a local turning club. The first meeting(ish) is usually free and the communities are usually SO helpful, I bet you'll be able to find a used lathe, used tools, and tutelage quite easily.

Jon Grider
11-18-2019, 9:02 AM
I don't know your situation or health, but I know volunteer work always gives me a feeling of connection and usefulness. It has the added advantage of making my shop time more enjoyable. Perhaps you could donate some shop made items to a local charity or fund raiser.

Frank Pratt
11-18-2019, 9:16 AM
The Wood Whisperer has a very popular Maloof style rocker project package that includes very detailed plans and videos. It's through his Guild store & is not free.

Andrew More
11-18-2019, 2:35 PM
If you're interest in making a Windsor Chair this series is A M A Z I N G!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvZ36VGhBlHqkETSnajNhMw

Randy Heinemann
11-18-2019, 3:30 PM
I agree with adding a lathe. I enjoy building things the most. However, sometimes I'm stuck for a new project or an't figure out something about a design I'm working on. About 2 years ago, I bought a small lathe. Now, in between other work, I turn; mostly bowls and lately a few pens. With bowls, there are limitless shapes and each bowl turns out a little bit different than the last because of the wood and sometimes slightly different shapes. It's also very relaxing. When I get tired of turning, I go back to my other wood working. You don't have to buy an expensive lathe to start. Just be careful so the tools don't start becoming a bottomless pit.

Charles Grauer
11-18-2019, 3:57 PM
There is a Welsh stick chair in the latest Woodsmith magazine. #246. Dec/Jan 2020. Spindles aren’t turned, no lathe needed. Uses octagon shaped legs and segmented back rail, no steam bending or lathe needed. Also U might want to make some end grain cutting boards.

small jewelry boxes of all sorts, can be fancy and take lots of time, fun projects.

Zachary Hoyt
11-18-2019, 4:03 PM
I agree that getting a lathe is a good idea, my first one was traded to me for about $100 worth of twig chairs, and was a nice old machine, not very big or powerful but it was enough to turn small bowls, chessmen, etc.
Zac

Patrick Kane
11-18-2019, 5:24 PM
Not necessary, but for Maloof's rocker you use a lathe on the front legs. I dont care for turning, but it is a handy tool to have.

Im still in the process of buffing a sculpted rocker, but it was a challenging and interesting build. It dragged on a bit longer than i would have liked, but very gratifying piece to complete and touch/look/feel/sit in afterwards. Could springboard you into more sculpted/carved pieces.

Alan Lightstone
11-18-2019, 5:57 PM
Titanic deck chair replica if you like a challenge. Looks great, but really tests your skills.

Rob Luter
11-19-2019, 8:25 AM

Any suggestions?

Pick one of these: