PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman 22124 table saw question...

Josh Goldsmith
12-18-2005, 11:22 AM
hi everybody. I am getting ready to get my new saw from sears. 22124. My questions to you guys are: That piece of laminate on the right side is that adjustable? The display model i saw the laminate was slightly lower than the metal which caused you to have to lift the bies. fence to get it back over. Has anyone else noticed anything i should know before i buy it? Also how does everyone like theirs? thanks josh

Jim Dunn
12-18-2005, 11:26 AM
Josh, The beis fence should not ride on the top of the table. It is not adjustable, without heating up the laminate, removing it and raising the board. Call beis and speak to them about it. It should have a 1yr warranty.

Bart Leetch
12-18-2005, 11:43 AM
First off never count on the tools in a store display to be assembled right. In 30 years I've never seen any display tool that need assembly assembled & adjusted properly.

It seem they can't think well enough to figure out your coming to look at the tool to decide if you want to purchase one or not. No thought is given to everything working & aligned properly so you can make an intelligent decision.

Scott Donley
12-18-2005, 12:08 PM
hi everybody. I am getting ready to get my new saw from sears. 22124. My questions to you guys are: That piece of laminate on the right side is that adjustable? The display model i saw the laminate was slightly lower than the metal which caused you to have to lift the bies. fence to get it back over. Has anyone else noticed anything i should know before i buy it? Also how does everyone like theirs? thanks josh Hi, on mine, the laminate came undrilled. You put it between the rails, clamp it so it does not move, then drill the mounting holes. Piece of cake ! Sounds like maybe the rails were not tight on the one you looked at. Good luck!
Might add. I put this together by my self, a second pair of hands would have been great though. If I had not put it on the mobile base first I am not sure I could have done it. The extensions are heavy, had to set them on my work table then roll the saw to the table to start the bolts, even then had to tilt the saw for them to line up. Shipping weight of the saw was 438#, the fence and rails came in it's own box.
It was all worth it though, so far I really like the saw.

Josh Goldsmith
12-19-2005, 11:12 AM
So you all are very happy with your craftsman table saw 22124? I was looking at the Delta 36-714 but the craftsman comes with bies fence. Josh

scott spencer
12-19-2005, 12:24 PM
So you all are very happy with your craftsman table saw 22124? I was looking at the Delta 36-714 but the craftsman comes with bies fence. Josh

I've been more satisfied with the saw that I would have thought. I was pretty happy with my contractor saw before I got the 22124.

It may not be as overbuilt as a full commercial cabinet saw, but is incredibly well suited for hobby shops like mine. With the right blade, you'll have no trouble making accurate cuts in very heavy hardwoods at full blade height. That's the most I'll be asking if it.

http://www.epinions.com/content_184778395268

oak barrett
12-19-2005, 6:52 PM
delta has three versions of the hybrid.. i couldn't find the 36-714 you mention, but the three are similar to the 22124

it believe the biggest difference is the table vs cabinet mounted trunnions...

36-717 comes with the bies.. (http://deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=136&p=5849)

http://media.ptg-online.com/media/dm/Products/Tools/ExtraLarge/20050117113209_36-717_72dpi_400.jpghttp://www.searsmedia.com/gallery/presskits/images/stationary/22124_Pro_10-in._T_Saw_1.jpg

Tony Falotico
12-19-2005, 10:06 PM
I've been more satisfied with the saw that I would have thought. I was pretty happy with my contractor saw before I got the 22124.

It may not be as overbuilt as a full commercial cabinet saw, but is incredibly well suited for hobby shops like mine. With the right blade, you'll have no trouble making accurate cuts in very heavy hardwoods at full blade height. That's the most I'll be asking if it.

My 22124 replaced a 25 year old C'man contractors saw that was worn out. I've been very happy with it as it performs well in the home / hobbiest environment and so far, has done everything I've asked of it. Of course, it is not a commercial saw and wouldn't do well at all in a production shop, but I don't plan on converting to a production shop.

I replaced the laminate extension table with an 'L' shaped router table ... see
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=23852&highlight=router+table

scott spencer
12-20-2005, 6:47 AM
I replaced the laminate extension table with an 'L' shaped router table ... see
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=23852&highlight=router+table Tony - That's really slick....wish I'd though of that! :rolleyes:

Jim Knauss
12-20-2005, 7:25 AM
Josh,
That is the only complaint I had with my saw. The wood they used to make my side table was all knots. Of coarse it warped. I had to take it apart and remake it. No big deal but why would they use what looks like pallet wood on a saw this nice. Other than that I have been more than happy with my saw.

Jim Knauss

Bob Weisner
12-20-2005, 9:07 AM
2 Concerns:

1. Since Sears merged or was bought out by Kmart, what is the future for this tablesaw and the future availablity of replacement parts?

2. Does this saw have the power with the right sawblade to rip a Black Cherry board that is 4 inches thick x 17 inches wide x 8 feet long??:D :D :D :D :D ( GLOAT!!!!!!!!!!)

Bart Leetch
12-20-2005, 9:16 AM
2 Concerns:

1. Since Sears merged or was bought out by Kmart, what is the future for this tablesaw and the future availablity of replacement parts?

2. Does this saw have the power with the right sawblade to rip a Black Cherry board that is 4 inches thick x 17 inches wide x 8 feet long??:D :D :D :D :D ( GLOAT!!!!!!!!!!)

Bob go buy a 12" 5 HP saw.:D

Bob Weisner
12-20-2005, 9:20 AM
I think it would be a little difficult to get a 12 inch 5 hp tablesaw in my basement workshop:eek:

scott spencer
12-20-2005, 10:50 AM
2 Concerns:

1. There is a new line of Martha Stewart replacement parts available through KMart. ;)

2. Actually yes....not sure if it was black cherry or bing cherry, but I've resawn 6" cherry with a 24T TK DeWalt blade on mine. (Two passes of course!) :D Elm, oak, and maple too. The PM66 wins that race everytime though. :rolleyes: