PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt DWE7491RS dust collection issues?

Peter Kuhlman
11-15-2019, 6:53 PM
I work in my small shop room in our finished basement so dust collection is a big deal to me to keep the wife happy!

On my Dewalt DWE7491RS I have been using my Festool CT33 with the big 50mm hose connected to the back port and my Festool Midi with the 28?mm hose connected to the blade guard port. I make sure the vacs are set at maximum speed, am using new bags and clean filters but still I am getting quite a bit of dust sprayed around the shop. It is everywhere! I also am getting a fair amount of dust falling on the floor I guess from the metal dust shroud around the blade as there are gaps where the panels are assembled. I would have thought that there would have been plenty of suction to prevent that.

So I must be doing something wrong. Do I need a vacuum collector with much higher cfm? I could squeeze an Oneida Dust Cobra in possibly if it would help. It just seems that there isn’t very much make-up air available internally to feed a higher volume suction. Any bright ideas to improve this issue?

Thanks all! Pete

Michelle Rich
11-15-2019, 7:00 PM
you are asking a lot of a vacuum cleaner to get all the dust of a tablesaw

Peter Kuhlman
11-15-2019, 8:40 PM
Probably but that is how these job site saws are designed. It has a 2 1/4” ID port for the main dust collection so a full sized cyclone system is not really applicable to this. I had a cabinet saw with a 2HP collector attached but then I moved and had to seriously downsize. Still have my cyclone system but it takes up too much space.

Dick Mahany
11-16-2019, 9:04 AM
I have downsized significantly and now have the same saw. I use a Ridgid "6hp" 16 gallon shop vac with a dust deputy to the lower port. Plumbed with short lengths of 2-1/2" hose. Additionally use either a Festool CT-Sys or a CT36 to the port on the blade guard and I'm very pleased with dust extraction. My setup is very similar to yours so I don't know what might account for the differences. I do use zero clearance inserts rather than the OEM throat plate which may help.

I used to have a 3hp Oneida cyclone in my former and much larger space, but even that powerful cyclone struggled with efficiency when choked down to small openings, so perhaps others can chime in on this aspect if they had better experiences.

As far as residual dust in the air, I use an overhead Jet air filter to help with general air filtering and it does help considerably.