PDA

View Full Version : a question for chemists indoor lamp oil and Finishing oil

Brian Deakin
11-15-2019, 5:40 PM
I am a retired pharmacist and live in the United kingdom

Chestnut products market a Finishing oil ($27 per litre) see msd below

https://chestnutproducts.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Finishing-Oil.pdft

another Uk .company Barrettine market an indoor lamp oil ($5 per litre)

see msd. below

https://www.barrettinepro.co.uk/uploads/assets/Documents/MSDS%202019%20/Indoor%20Pure%20Bright%20Lamp%20Oil.pdf

My question from a practical point of view could the indoor lamp oil be used as a substitute for the Chestnut finishing oil

John Stankus
11-15-2019, 6:03 PM
I would probably say no. The MSDS for the lamp oil indicates it is all normal alkanes (i.e. straight carbon chains of single bonds). Drying oils have some ability to chemically crosslink, and so the lamp oil probably would not dry (cure).

You could always take a piece of wood and try it, but my guess on the limited info in the msds is that it would not work. That being said, its not completely clear what the Chestnut finishing oil is really made of.

John

Jim Koepke
11-15-2019, 6:49 PM
That being said, its not completely clear what the Chestnut finishing oil is really made of.

Certainly not chestnuts, the Chestnut seems to be a brand name. The MSDS indicates a few drying or volatile agents, naphtha, xylene and a couple of others.

The lamp oil looks to be noting but a flammable oil. It is not likely to dry anytime within our lifetimes.

Boiled linseed oil, tung oil, or shellac may be better choices.

jtk

Edward Dyas
11-15-2019, 8:43 PM
I am a retired pharmacist and live in the United kingdom

Chestnut products market a Finishing oil ($27 per litre) see msd below

https://chestnutproducts.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Finishing-Oil.pdft

another Uk .company Barrettine market an indoor lamp oil ($5 per litre)

see msd. below

https://www.barrettinepro.co.uk/uploads/assets/Documents/MSDS%202019%20/Indoor%20Pure%20Bright%20Lamp%20Oil.pdf

My question from a practical point of view could the indoor lamp oil be used as a substitute for the Chestnut finishing oilI don't believe I would use the lamp oil. Any I've seen was primarily kerosene. The MSDS on both products is not very clear what they are though. A finishing oil in normally a hardening oil such as linseed oil or tung oil.

Brian Deakin
11-17-2019, 5:24 AM
A huge thankyou to everyone for your posts/advice and educating me in the science of finishing oils

John K Jordan
11-17-2019, 8:02 AM
A huge thankyou to everyone for your posts/advice and educating me in the science of finishing oils

One test is to put a drop of a candidate finish on a piece of glass and see if it sets up and forms a hard compound.

Brian Deakin
11-17-2019, 2:18 PM
John Thankyou for the advice

I have purchased a can of Chestnut Finishing oil and plan to use it on future projects

Kev Williams
11-18-2019, 12:53 AM
You might try Pentrol, which is about 70% naphtha, 1% ethylbenzene, and 30% not-mentioned-in-the-MSDS but pretty sure from the smell, linseed oil.

I clear-coated a boat with it, I can attest, it will dry hard :)

before-

after- (I didn't paint the tower to show the difference)
419813 419814

--it was just an experiment that worked wonderfully...

James Waldron
11-20-2019, 11:03 PM
You might try Pentrol, which is about 70% naphtha, 1% ethylbenzene, and 30% not-mentioned-in-the-MSDS but pretty sure from the smell, linseed oil.

I clear-coated a boat with it, I can attest, it will dry hard :)

before-

after- (I didn't paint the tower to show the difference)
419813 419814

--it was just an experiment that worked wonderfully...

Well, that just means that 70% of your money is going to evaporate (the naptha and ethyl benzene solvents). BLO is pretty cheap in comparison. You get more than 30% finish that way. (No solvents at all in good quality BLO!)

Rich Engelhardt
11-21-2019, 4:46 AM
I'm not a chemist - but - I do have an answer for you.

You are looking for answers using the wrong documentation.

A (Material) Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) is not a formula sheet or even a complete listing of all the contents.

It only lists the materials that are known to be harmful in the event of a spill while being transported.

So - - the answer to your question is - no. The two are not interchangeable.

Brian Deakin
11-23-2019, 11:16 AM
Rich
Thank you for educating me

kind regards

Brian

Kev Williams
11-24-2019, 12:25 PM
Well, that just means that 70% of your money is going to evaporate (the naptha and ethyl benzene solvents). BLO is pretty cheap in comparison. You get more than 30% finish that way. (No solvents at all in good quality BLO!)
I did the whole boat with 3 cups of an $8 quart of the stuff, don't really think money was the issue. ;) And for all I know, maybe the solvents are responsible for how well it turned out? :D

James Waldron
11-27-2019, 3:34 PM
I did the whole boat with 3 cups of an $8 quart of the stuff, don't really think money was the issue. ;) And for all I know, maybe the solvents are responsible for how well it turned out? :D

Well, you're the expert, I suppose. Empericism rules! Chemistry is sooo Twentieth Century! :rolleyes: