PDA

View Full Version : New Book on Toolmaking

Dave Anderson NH
12-18-2005, 7:33 AM
For those of you interested in making some hand tools like a plane, marking or cutting gage, bevel gage, backsaws and a bunch of other stuff, there is a new book out. My friend Steve Olesin, a member of our guild, got his first book published in October. He gives clear and consise instructions for making about 2 dozen or more hand tools with the simplest of equipment. It is a great starting place for those of you interested in making personalized tools that fit you. Other than reviewing part of the manuscript, I have no affiliation or commercial interest in this book. The details are listed below.

TOOL-MAKING PROJECTS FOR JOINERY AND WOODWORKING
A Yankee Craftsman's Practical Methods
Author Steve Olesin
Publisher: Cambium Press
ISBN: 189283623-8
Price: $24.95

John Edwards
12-18-2005, 8:41 AM
Thanks for the heads up Dave.
Perhaps Santa can still get here in time for Xmas.

Larry Reimer
12-18-2005, 8:41 AM
Dave, thanks for the "heads up". cambiumpress.biz will be getting at least one order for that book and some others they have. Thanks.

Pam Niedermayer
12-18-2005, 1:27 PM
From the publisher: "Written with all skill levels in mind, this practical handbook presents detailed instructions for making 20 essential hand tools for joinery and general woodworking. All the tools can be made by the career craftsperson or the weekend woodworker, with common workshop tools and techniques. Included are instructions for measuring and marking tools, cutting tools, holding tools, and striking tools—everything needed to cut the frame and box joints that are at the heart of all furniture and interior woodworking. These tools are put to use as well, with lessons on cutting mortise-and-tenon frame joints and assembling dovetail joints for cases and drawers. A fine finished project can begin here, with fine handmade hand tools."

And since the publisher has not seen fit to allow the TOC to be published on Amazon, I'd have to say this is a beginner's book. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Pam

rick fulton
12-18-2005, 1:47 PM
Introduction 8 (3)

Part I Making the Tools
Measuring and Marking Tools 11 (1)
Single-beam Cutting Gauge 12 (9)
Dual-beam Marking Gauge 21 (9)
Mortising Gauge 30 (5)
Marking Knife 35 (3)
Dovetail Gauge 38 (2)
Joinery Check Gauge 40 (2)
Case-squaring Stick 42 (4)
Wooden Square 46 (4)
Sliding Bevel Gauge 50 (6)
Cutting Tools 55 (1)
Backsaw 56 (12)
Bucksaw 68 (10)
Bench Plane 78 (15)
Shoulder Plane 93 (8)
Saw Sharpening 101 (9)
Holding Tools 109 (1)
Cam Clamp 110 (7)
Bench Hook 117 (3)
Shooting Board 120 (6)
Striking Tools 125 (1)
Shaped Mallet 126 (4)
Turned Mallet 130 (2)
Slip-handle Mallet 132 (5)

Part II Making the Joints 137 (46)
Joint Basics 137 (4)
Mortise and Tenon Joint 141 (12)
Half-lap Joint 153 (3)
Twin Tenon 156 (4)
Dovetail Joint 160 (9)
Half-blind Dovetail 169 (4)
Tote Tool Box 173 (10)

Appendices
A. Materials and Supplies Resources 181 (1)
B. Metal gauge table 182 (1)
C. Screw -- drill size table 182 (1)
D. Suggested Reading 182 (1)

Index 183

Dave Anderson NH
12-18-2005, 2:15 PM
Hi Pam, The book is a beginners book only in the sense that it doesn't get into heat treating or forging steel. The emphasis is on being able to work with what the average woodworker (if there is such a thing) would have in their shop. As an example, I wouldn't consider making a dovetail saw a beginners task. I would characterize the book as suitable for BOTH beginners and intermediate woodworkers. There are projects of at a wide variety if difficulties. How successful someone will is be dependant on the level of care they exercise. Steve's drawings are quite good.

Mike Wenzloff
12-18-2005, 3:35 PM
Thanks for posting about the book, Dave.

I'm not a novice tool maker--but I think I would enjoy the book anyway. Kinda like books on furniture making. I enjoy most all of them and I'm not new at that, either.

As well, one of my sons started making knives last year and another has decided he wants to make more of his own tools. Wonder if I can get a quantity discount <g>.

And beside, can one have too many books?

Take care, Mike