PDA

View Full Version : bandsaw quest, opinion?

Ernie Loposser
11-11-2019, 6:50 PM
Ive been looking for a mediocre bandsaw, Im not a woodworking pro, but after many hours of research and knowing what I want and may want to do, I have decided that I would like some resaw capability. It seems, for some reason, that people in my area are asking much more for a saw compared to other areas. I was considering one listed on fb marketplace, a grizzly g0580 for $400 but it was a bit far away and I declined. Now I see the same saw (used the same picture, lol) a bit closer to me for $700 and describes it as a 20" saw. I just came across this, around 2 hrs away...I need pro advice...$650419389

johnny means
11-11-2019, 7:52 PM
I think you should start off by gathering a little more information. Parts of your post point to a lack of information. Also, learn to recognize a scam. If you see the same picture used in completely different ads in different areas, it's a scam. Also, if the text of the add indicates that the "seller" knows nothing about the item, move on.

Phillip Mitchell
11-11-2019, 8:07 PM
Do you currently have a bandsaw or have any experience with using one? What are your expectations? How much re-saw capacity do you really want / need? Do you have a jointer or planer or have the skills / proper tools to dimension lumber square with hand tools if no jointer / planer. Re-sawing without a reliable way to square up your stock before, during and after can be an exercise in frustration.

What’s your budget? Do you have 220V power available? I could go on, but I know that the answers to all these questions and more are going to help inform answers from others on the forum. Hard to advise much without more info.

Matt Day
11-11-2019, 8:15 PM
It’s a scam. Didn’t you see that the saw pictures is a Rikon not a Grizzly?

Ernie Loposser
11-11-2019, 9:10 PM
sorry, I didnt make myself clear, the story of grizzly was a different situation...what is a decent price for this saw?419391

Dave Sabo
11-11-2019, 10:30 PM
$400 - $500

Andrew Seemann
11-12-2019, 12:05 AM
sorry, I didnt make myself clear, the story of grizzly was a different situation...what is a decent price for this saw?419391

Price depends a lot on your location and what the used tool market is like there. Folks from the Rust Belt and the North East always amaze me with what they say they have available on craigslist and what the prices are. Around here we don't have a quarter of what they do, and the prices are always much higher. Supply and demand at its finest I guess.

Matthew Hills
11-12-2019, 12:09 AM
what is a decent price for this saw?

Decent prices for used equipment are highly regional.
your best clue: if the item disappears while you ask a forum, it was (probably) a good price.
(but there can be exceptions)

That saw looks like an older version of rikon 10-325 -- a 14" bandsaw with ~13" of resaw height.
My impression is that it's a viable saw, although asking price seems high.
Think it used to retail ~800; rikon shifted from green to blue in ~2014/2015
I think they curently market the 10-326, but at ~1000 at normal sales. I think this has some updates for guide/fence/etc.

This saw should work well with a 1/2" 3tpi blade; doubt it would work well with a carbide blade.
I'd prefer this saw over a 14" delta/jet with riser.
Bigger saws have more clearance to the throat, larger tables (handy for stabilizing in/outfeed), and probably more power (and require 220V).

Whether this is a good fit for you will depend on what you want to be doing.

I had a 14" powermatic that I tried to do a bit of milling on. That was challenging, as I realized how unwieldy it was to support heavy workpieces on the small table.
I eventually got a bigger saw, and that was amazing to use, although I do think milling is best done on a dedicated mill.
In practice, I use a small saw (10" inca) for most of my bandsaw cuts, and I'm still table-saw centric for routine rips.
You might have a different set of values if you do turning (I don't).

Matt

andy bessette
11-12-2019, 2:32 AM
Looks to be a 14" in perfect condition. New one sells for over $1300. So $650-700 should be fair.

Rob Luter
11-12-2019, 6:00 AM
Looks to be a 14" in perfect condition. New one sells for over $1300. So $650-700 should be fair.

$1,100 this summer. Watch the sales.

Donald G. Burns
11-12-2019, 8:49 AM
At the moment Sears (yes Sears) has a 14" Rikon 14-321 bandsaw for sale at $709.99 with free in store pickup. See: https://www.sears.com/rikon-14inch-bandsaw-open-stand/p-SPM10813804725?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

I'm not sure if these are old stock or special run of an old Rikon model. There is an old thread here on S.C. regarding the 321: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?210685-Is-the-Rikon-14-quot-10-321-a-good-bandsaw

Scott Brader
11-12-2019, 2:01 PM
I got an email from Woodcraft today that they are currently offering $100 off plus a free mobility kit for the Rikon 10-326.

Tempting...

Scott

Rob Luter
11-12-2019, 2:22 PM
I got an email from Woodcraft today that they are currently offering $100 off plus a free mobility kit for the Rikon 10-326.

Tempting...

Scott

I love mine. I bought he mobility kit but took it back. It's not well thought out, and for the price I'd rather have a few spare blades.

andy bessette
11-12-2019, 3:56 PM
...I just came across this, around 2 hrs away...I need pro advice...$650419389

Looks like this one has the mobile base. I'd jump on it.

Mike Kees
11-12-2019, 6:46 PM
I would rather have that than a 14''Delta. ( I have a Delta) I use it a lot as my "small saw " and as such it works real good so no need to replace. That Rikon would be a better first saw though. Do not think about this for to long or it will be gone.

Pete Staehling
11-12-2019, 7:06 PM
Different strokes, but when used stuff costs much more than half the same exact model can be had for new, I start thinking new. If a used tool needs much work I will pay less than that. True that regional prices vary, but if you live somewhere that used prices are much higher than that, just maybe it isn't worth buying used.

andy bessette
11-12-2019, 7:22 PM
...when used stuff costs much more than half the same exact model can be had for new, I start thinking new...

It is a fallacy to make up a single rule for pricing used equipment. Condition is only everything. If you can buy a like-new machine for substantially less than brand new price, that savings should be compelling.

Dave Sabo
11-12-2019, 7:44 PM
At the moment Sears (yes Sears) has a 14" Rikon 14-321 bandsaw for sale at $709.99 with free in store pickup. See: https://www.sears.com/rikon-14inch-bandsaw-open-stand/p-SPM10813804725?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

I'm not sure if these are old stock or special run of an old Rikon model. There is an old thread here on S.C. regarding the 321: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?210685-Is-the-Rikon-14-quot-10-321-a-good-bandsaw

Donald - this is not the same saw being discussed here. The one you linked is 14", but that's where the similarities end. It only has 8" of resaw and an open stand.

Pete Staehling
11-13-2019, 6:40 AM
It is a fallacy to make up a single rule for pricing used equipment. Condition is only everything. If you can buy a like-new machine for substantially less than brand new price, that savings should be compelling.
True, but IMO people seem to undervalue a new machine with manufacturer support, warranty, knowledge that no one has already screwed the machine up, and the peace of mind that comes from that. I was probably overstating my bias against paying too much for used a bit, but did say "start thinking new" not "absolutely wouldn't buy used". My rule wasn't really intended to be a hard and fast rule. Some things used may be as good as new and a warranty or the option of support may be less important. I might be less worried about warranty and support for an anvil than a cnc machine.

You do have to decide what the value of "new" and the support and warranty that comes with that is for you when making the decision. What you can afford factors in as well, but I am often amazed when I see folks springing for a used machine when a new one isn't much more at all.

Don't get me wrong. I understand that people can charge what they want and willing customers can pay it. If both parties are happy all is good. I am just saying that maybe more folks should take another look at what the new machine costs before pulling the trigger on a used one if the cost is too substantial of a portion of the new one.

It is pretty nice to have a brand new machine, but it can also wind up cheaper in some cases. If you find that the used machine has some issue that you weren't aware of (and maybe doesn't show itself right away) or some new issue comes up that would have been covered under warranty, it may quickly become more expensive than the new machine would have been.

Donald G. Burns
11-13-2019, 7:21 AM
Donald - this is not the same saw being discussed here. The one you linked is 14", but that's where the similarities end. It only has 8" of resaw and an open stand.

Dave, I was replying to the OP with his implied pricing issue ($650?), not the ability to resaw with the bigger saws. Figured why not let him decide a new smaller resaw ability vs. used bigger saw. I know if I was younger and starting off I'd save up and get a bigger saw. I do understand the limits of a small saw since mine is an under 5" resaw limited 10" Craftsman 21204 (AKA Rikon 305) saw. Which sucks for resawing most any real (wide) lumber, but most of my projects are not made with resawn wood and I'm on the down slope of the number of years left using it.