PDA

View Full Version : Wider Table Saw or Track Saw

Delwyn Ching
11-10-2019, 2:13 PM
Aloha from Hawaii, I live in Central Oahu and this is my first post. I have a Dewalt DW745 table saw and need to rip wider plywood. I'm torn between selling the 745 and buying a Dewalt DWE7491RS or keeping the 745 and picking up a track saw. Thanks in advance.

Jacob Mac
11-10-2019, 2:19 PM
For ripping plywood, I would get a track saw of some sort. Or make one yourself. For me ,it is way easier to bring a saw to plywood rather than the plywood to the saw

glenn bradley
11-10-2019, 2:38 PM
If you have a good circular saw a shop made solution is very workable.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?173055-Shop-Made-GCS-v2

I should state that I have moved to the Milwaukee track saw in the last few months.

(https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?173055-Shop-Made-GCS-v2)

Dick Mahany
11-10-2019, 2:51 PM
A lot depends on what you will be doing in the future. I downsized to a smaller space and decided to give up my table saw and get a track saw because I was going to be building many cabinets from sheet goods. I was blown away with how useful it was, and how quick and accurate cuts could be made. The track saw was a game changer for me.

Then I needed to build door frames for cope and stick doors and face frames for another project. The track saw made it very challenging to do these types of thin rip cuts comfortably (even with aftermarket parallel guides) and I found myself purchasing a DWE 7491 RS after all. I'll never send a sheet of plywood over a table saw again, but for my work, I don't want to be without both even in a constrained space.

Since you are thinking about the 7491 RS, the larger table and ability to take a full 8" dado stack were factors that mattered for my work. Also the tool-less quick change riving knife and the ability to set the miter slots and fence parallel to the blade have allowed it to be tuned very well. I haven't used the 745 so I can't directly compare them from experience. Having said that I'd opt for keeping the 745 and adding the track saw as the move to the larger DeWalt won't give you nearly as much flexibility as having the combo.

Mike Henderson
11-10-2019, 2:57 PM
I bought a track saw and it's great for sheet goods. There is some setup for cutting the sheet goods - I have to put the sheet on something (foam or 2x4's) that keeps the blade from hitting the lower surface, mark out where I want to make the cut and then clamp the track in place. But the cut is very accurate. I used to do a rough break down of the sheet and then finish on the table saw - now I cut to final dimensions with the track saw.

Mike

Lisa Starr
11-10-2019, 4:25 PM
I'm a recent convert to a track saw. I used to "rough" cut plywood with my circular saw and then finish cut with the table saw. I've never liked breaking down sheet goods with the table saw. The track saw has allowed me to cut the panels to final size as I'm breaking down the sheet and skip the table saw for "final sizing"

Patrick Walsh
11-10-2019, 4:46 PM
With a sacrificial back “foam rigid insulation” keeping your rubber strip on the track unblemished and actuate I find a track saw completely a real pita and slow vrs throwing a sheet down on a full size table saw. It’s much like breaking down and setting up a single shaper for multiple operations. It’s just annoying.

On the other hand if you are talking the Dewalt saws I think that are lost in between a actual full size cabinet saw with proper 4x8 out feed table I’d say go track saw as it will be mc=UCD more manageable.

I started with a track saw and full Festool kit MFT tables and all. I have since sold all my festool stuff except for my kapex a couple drills and may sanders. I even prefer porter cable and dewalt routers to festool. The dust collection even on festool with a router is still poor enough it did not warrant the boutique price for me.

If I was you and you had the cash and space I’d but I powermatic 66 old general with a beismier or whatever fence make a outfeed table and be done with it.

If the choice is the medium dewalt jobisite saw I’d go tracksaw.

Doug Garson
11-10-2019, 6:30 PM
Can't argue with track saw or circular saw and straight edge for breaking down full sheets but if you're happy with your table saw maybe consider building it into a larger work surface to more comfortably and safely cut sheet goods.

Ron Selzer
11-10-2019, 7:46 PM
For handling plywood and other sheet goods I much prefer a panel saw. Have a Safety Speed Cut H5 in the garage ALL sheet goods hit that first, always 90 degree cuts and rips are parallel, held down by gravity. Clamp a stop on there for repetition when needed or buy the fancy factory stop. When I first bought it I was young and strong enough to cart it around to the job site, no longer it hasn't moved in twenty years.
Just something else to think about. Don't be afraid of a used one, motors are available new as well as other wear parts.

GOOD LUCK

Delwyn Ching
11-10-2019, 8:50 PM
A lot depends on what you will be doing in the future. I downsized to a smaller space and decided to give up my table saw and get a track saw because I was going to be building many cabinets from sheet goods. I was blown away with how useful it was, and how quick and accurate cuts could be made. The track saw was a game changer for me.

Then I needed to build door frames for cope and stick doors and face frames for another project. The track saw made it very challenging to do these types of thin rip cuts comfortably (even with aftermarket parallel guides) and I found myself purchasing a DWE 7491 RS after all. I'll never send a sheet of plywood over a table saw again, but for my work, I don't want to be without both even in a constrained space.

Since you are thinking about the 7491 RS, the larger table and ability to take a full 8" dado stack were factors that mattered for my work. Also the tool-less quick change riving knife and the ability to set the miter slots and fence parallel to the blade have allowed it to be tuned very well. I haven't used the 745 so I can't directly compare them from experience. Having said that I'd opt for keeping the 745 and adding the track saw as the move to the larger DeWalt won't give you nearly as much flexibility as having the combo.

Exactly that, my shop is a tiny 2 car garage with a 1993 Toyota pk up occupying 1 bay as a garage queen and the other by my automotive tools and some woodworking tools. I have very little space and always move my mobile workbenches and saws, router table out into the yard to work. The 7491RS captured me with the extended rip capacity and dado capability which my 745 doesn't have. Thanks everyone. I ordered the Makita SP6000J which came with a 55 in track and waiting for Black Friday to see if the price of a 7491 comes down to help me decide to pick one up as well.

Charles Lent
11-11-2019, 9:48 AM
Oahu is my favorite vacation place.

If you need a 1 on 1 instructor, cover my expenses and I'll bee there to help you.:D:D:D

Charley

Jim Becker
11-11-2019, 10:08 AM
My personal feeling is that for the "average" woodworker who doesn't process a lot of sheet goods, a quality track saw is a good method for dealing with the job. Shop size is also less important and one can even cut (weather permitting) pretty much anywhere. Someone who uses a LOT of the material is going to find tools like vertical panel saws and sliding table saws more efficient.

Patrick Walsh
11-11-2019, 10:12 AM
Yeah I’d trade just about everything I have accumulated thus far in my life for a trade garage and a track saw in Oahu!

Crap I’d take a tent on the beach and a surf board.

Oahu is my favorite vacation place.

If you need a 1 on 1 instructor, cover my expenses and I'll bee there to help you.:D:D:D

Charley

jack duren
11-11-2019, 10:16 AM
I would look at a wider tablesaw. It will pay for itself...

Mike Henderson
11-11-2019, 10:59 AM
I have a fairly large table saw and trying to break down a 4' by 8' sheet on that is difficult for me. Getting it up on the saw is hard, and pushing it through the saw straight was always a problem. Plus, I'm getting older and handling the weight of a 3/4" sheet of plywood is not as easy as it used to be. A sheet of 3/4" MDF is even heavier.

So I'd rough cut the sheet with a circular saw and then do the finish cut on my table saw. With the track saw, I can do the finish cut with the track saw. The disadvantage of a track saw is the setup time - but it's worth it to me.

If I had a big slider, I'd cut the sheet on the slider.

Mike

ChrisA Edwards
11-11-2019, 11:04 AM
I have a bit more garage space than what you are working with. I have a fairly nice table saw setup with good support for 8' on the in feed and outfeed side of the blade. If I'm cutting 1/2" or thinner plywood, I'll do it on my table saw, but when it comes to 3/4" ply or MDF, out comes the pink foam insulation sheet and my track saw and all the initial cutting happens on my garage floor with the track saw.

I have the Festool TS55 with two 55" rails that I join for an 8' rip. I bought the Festool many years ago when it was the only game in town.

I also have a TSO Products Parallel Edge Guide for 90 degree crosscuts, work great.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-4b75b/images/stencil/608x608/products/3696/9275/GRS-16-PE-01__72541.1507954835.1280.1280__91124.1519761344.1 280.1280__09893.1526497981.jpg?c=2

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-4b75b/images/stencil/608x608/products/3696/9278/GRS-16-PE-07__35205.1507954834.1280.1280__08091.1519761333.1 280.1280__53116.1526498021.jpg?c=2

Delwyn Ching
11-11-2019, 2:14 PM
To all that made comments about Oahu, here's a taste: right now at 0912 it's 78 degrees and sunny, no clouds in the sky. Winds are 5 mph out of the north-northwest.

Günter VögelBerg
11-11-2019, 2:39 PM
I also have a small shop so I don't have a large rip capacity on my table saw. I bought a Makita track saw when i built my kitchen cabinets and I don't know how I got along for so many years without it. The stairway into my shop area is very old and very steep and I cannot fit a standard sheet of plywood down it so I break down sheet goods in the yard on saw horses. Yesterday I was cutting some OSB for a floor repair job I am doing and as too lazy to go get the track saw and it took me twice as long to get the cuts marked out and cut without it.

Jim Dwight
11-12-2019, 4:42 PM
I used to use a Ryobi BT3100 with extension rails and a mobile base. It gave me 60 inches or more of rip capacity. But my current shop is a little smaller so I took off the extension rails and later bought sawstop. But before the SawStop PCS I got a DeWalt track saw with 106 and 59 inch rails. Later I added the 40 inch one. My SawStop has 36 inch rip capacity.I much prefer the combination of a smaller table saw and track saw versus a really wide rip capacity table saw. The PCS is definitely nicer than the 3100 but that is not the point of this discussion. It is just hard to move a sheet, particularly of 3/4, sheet goods through a table saw, especially in a small shop. In a large enough shop with infeed and outfeed support and with a way to move the goods to the saw, then it would be different. But in my small shop, it is just MUCH preferable to cut the sheet goods either on my accessory table with a sheet of foam under it or even on the trailer it came home in. Moving a 11 lb saw is just easier than moving a 75 lb sheet that is also large. Circular saws can work well for making roughing cuts to break down sheet goods allowing you to more easily use the table saw for final cuts. But track saws are very capable of finish cuts. They are very accurate and the cut quality is comparable to the table saw. I also use my track saw to edge joint long boards. My jointer is a small INCA and will not straighten the edge of a board longer than about 4 feet. I am even thinking of making a 10 foot dining table using my track saw to cut glue up ready edges on 10 foot boards.

Zac wingert
11-13-2019, 12:53 AM
I vote for better table saw. I’ve seen a few nice saws for sale on various Oahu classifieds recently. But, then again, I’ve never used a track saw. I made a guide for my circular saw.

what I can say is don’t upgrade a job site saw with another job site saw. I upgraded from the same saw you have to an old Rockwell contractor saw and it’s 100x better. I got the bigger saw used for $100 on Hilo CL, far more scarce than Oahu CL.

Also, don’t let the saw dust get or sit on your Toyota, I move my Toyota down the street when I’m gonna make more than a couple cuts. Especially the plywood dust, it kinda caked on if you let it sit.

nice to see a fellow Hawai’i person on here

Charles P. Wright
11-13-2019, 7:16 AM
If the choice is a new job site saw or a track saw; I would go with the track saw. I have a 52" saw stop, and would not trade that for a track saw. But I also would not cross cut 4'x8' sheets on it given the choice of using a track saw. I now have a track saw and a large table saw, but before I had the track saw I got acceptable results with a circular saw and guide. For me, the benefit of the track saw is that it holds the saw in place in both in and out, so you are less likely to slip off your line and ruin the off cut. If you get one with good dust collection that is also a huge deal.

Delwyn Ching
11-15-2019, 3:36 AM
Thanks very much everyone. And I leave my Yota in the garage when sawing but move my table saw, mobile workbench, router table out in the yard and work out there. Was going to route some dove tails this weekend but looks like a storm's brewing for us so maybe just hand cut some dovetails. Maybe when I'm in Hilo I'll look you up. May have to go out to Pohakuloa Training Area in a few months.

Jack Frederick
11-16-2019, 11:21 AM
I have a Sawstop PCS 52" and the TS 55 Festool saw, which I got shortly after they came out. I have the space for the in/outfeed tables for the SS, but due to the way I use the overall space cannot see dedicating the acreage, and that is what it takes, to safely handle them on the table saw. I have been very pleased with the TS55 on all manner of sheet goods. I think for you, given your space restrictions getting a larger table saw still limits you as you need to be moving it around and still need to handle the sheet. On occasion I will cut up a sheet and then rip it on the SS. The mobility and accuracy afforded by the track saw has been a real benefit for me.

Doug Garson
11-16-2019, 1:47 PM
What's a Yota?

Edwin Santos
11-16-2019, 2:10 PM
What's a Yota?

A Toyota truck, hawaiian style meaning probably lifted suspension with big huge wheels. Maybe KC lights.
It's the only way to roll, brah.

Marc Fenneuff
11-16-2019, 10:39 PM
Another Ryobi BT3100 user here, mine’s still in use though I am currently shopping cabinet saws as an eventual replacement. I have a good 50” or more rip capacity with this saw on a mobile base that I made for it, but I too prefer to rough-cut to manageable sizes first (I use my circular saw with a straightedge clamped in place). I recently upgraded from a 4-ft level (or occasionally a “pretty straight” 1x10) to a Bora clamping straightedge and so far it’s working well but it means cutting most every dimension 3 times (rough cut, then cut off the rough cut with the factory edge against the fence, then finally cut off the factory edge).

I’m currently building cabinets for my kitchen (2 more to assemble) and I would not want to go much larger than the roughly 24” by 36” piece that was the largest part of my largest cabinet on this saw. Definitely want a nice outfeed table on the next one.

Jim Peck
11-19-2019, 11:09 AM
I used to use a Ryobi BT3100 with extension rails and a mobile base. It gave me 60 inches or more of rip capacity. But my current shop is a little smaller so I took off the extension rails and later bought sawstop. But before the SawStop PCS I got a DeWalt track saw with 106 and 59 inch rails. Later I added the 40 inch one. My SawStop has 36 inch rip capacity.I much prefer the combination of a smaller table saw and track saw versus a really wide rip capacity table saw. The PCS is definitely nicer than the 3100 but that is not the point of this discussion. It is just hard to move a sheet, particularly of 3/4, sheet goods through a table saw, especially in a small shop. In a large enough shop with infeed and outfeed support and with a way to move the goods to the saw, then it would be different. But in my small shop, it is just MUCH preferable to cut the sheet goods either on my accessory table with a sheet of foam under it or even on the trailer it came home in. Moving a 11 lb saw is just easier than moving a 75 lb sheet that is also large. Circular saws can work well for making roughing cuts to break down sheet goods allowing you to more easily use the table saw for final cuts. But track saws are very capable of finish cuts. They are very accurate and the cut quality is comparable to the table saw. I also use my track saw to edge joint long boards. My jointer is a small INCA and will not straighten the edge of a board longer than about 4 feet. I am even thinking of making a 10 foot dining table using my track saw to cut glue up ready edges on 10 foot boards.

I went through the same journey: BT3100 and now have a SawStop PCS with 36" fence (with a Delta contractor's saw for several years between those two saws). As much as I love the PCS, even with adequate infeed and outfeed support getting a 4x8 sheet up there and maneuvered safely and accurately through the table saw is a challenge. And, of course, on a jobsite saw like the OP was discussing it would be even more difficult to safely and accurately cut sheet goods.

A few months ago I finally bought a Makita tracksaw for breaking down sheet goods. That saw was a game changer for me: fast, accurate and a clean cut. I didn't know what I was missing before I got that tool! Yeah, I have to clear enough space to lay the pink foam on the floor (or set it outside if weather permits), but that's less work for me than setting up the infeed and outfeed support for the table saw.

I realize the OP has already chosen his direction, so I'm posting only for future readers. I've benefitted tremendously from old posts so I hope mine and the others here may help someone in the future.

Thanks,

Jim

Charles Lent
11-20-2019, 10:21 AM
If you go with a circular saw and straight edge or a track saw, I built a cutting table many years ago that makes breaking down sheet stock a pleasure. My shop is small, and although I have a Unisaw with a 52" Unifence, there just isn't enough room in the shop to conveniently handle full sheets and try to cut them on my table saw. I break down the sheets into manageable sizes outside the shop on this cutting table. It lets me do all of the cutting at workbench height and neither the sheet or the off cut fall as the cut is near completion, like frequently happens when using saw horses.

The table is just a 1 X 4 frame roughly 24" X 70" with 2X4 cross pieces laid flat and flush with the top edges of the 1 X 4 frame. One is across the center with two more at each end where needed to attach the banquet table metal legs that I bought from Harbor Freight. Northern also sells these legs. All joints in the frame and cross pieces were joined with biscuits and glue, so there is no metal at all in the table, except for the short screws into the bottom side of the 2 X 4 pieces to attach the banquet table legs.

In use, this table sets up easily. I make most of my cuts with my circular saw with the blade set to cut about 1/4" below the stock being cut. The kerfs in the table don't affect the table's strength, and if I ever get so many in it that it becomes a problem, I'll just make a new top and transfer the legs to it. I make all of my cuts with the sheet positioned so that the cut is roughly down or across the center of the table. When I complete the cut both of the pieces remain on the table, and neither falls or breaks as the cut is nearing completion. I can then remove the off cut and re-position the remaining piece for the next cut. I have 50" and 102" clamp guides that I use with my circular saw, and have been doing it this way since long before track saws became available, so never felt the need to upgrade.

Now, in my advanced years at 77, I can no longer carry full sheets of 3/4 thick material, so I built the wheeled carrier in the photos. It's made from two re-purposed lawn mower wheels and axle stubs, and a few scraps of plywood. The center gap is 1" wide, so it will fit most any sheet stock that I should want to move. I can place it under one end of the sheet and then lift and steer it from the other, or place it under roughly the center of the sheet as shown for balanced movement. To make it easier for me to get full sheets onto the table I have added two scraps of plywood to one long side of the table, with a single screw through each positioned off center, into the table frame. When turned down, these pieces are below the top surface of the table. When turned 180 degrees they extend above the top surface of the table. To load a sheet onto the table, I turn these so they extend above the table, and then tip the table over so this edge of the table is down against my driveway. I then lean the sheet of material against the table surface with the bottom edge of the sheet sitting on these turned up pieces. Then I can reach down and under the center of the sheet stock and lift both the sheet and the table at the same time until the table is again standing on it's legs with the sheet laying on top of it. I then turn these scraps of plywood 180 degrees so they are below the top surface of the table, and then position the sheet to make the first cut.

When my cutting is complete, I fold the table legs, which recess into the lower half of the 1 X 4 frame and the folded table stores on it's edge against my sheet stock in my shop. I still have a few saw horses left, but mostly use them for scaffolding support or to make a temporary work table from a piece of sheet stock. I built my first cutting table almost 20 years ago, but remade it about 15 years ago to make it lighter. The original table was completely built from 2 X 4 stock. The new table uses 1 X 4 for the table edge frame, but still uses 2 X 4 for the cross pieces. This reduced the table weight considerably, making it much easier for my aging body to move it around. I much prefer to use this table for breaking down sheet stock, but have also temporarily attached a piece of plywood to it so I can place my miter saw on it. The rest of the table makes a good place to stage the work for cutting, and there is no need to work at ground level or even to pick up cut pieces from the ground.

Charley

Bill Conerly
11-21-2019, 9:38 PM
Here is some blasphemy: I've had very good results asking Home Depot to rip my plywood. Their panel saw is excellent. If I ask for 17 inches, they are off no more than 1/64. And easier to handle the pieces.

If I were cutting plywood every day, I'd definitely get a panel saw.

Delwyn Ching
11-21-2019, 11:38 PM
Yeah, I saw that panel saw and if I had the space I would consider getting one.

Jim Dwight
11-22-2019, 12:57 PM
There are lots of ways to make wood dust and a lot of tools can be accurate if set up correctly and used correctly. But a panel saw will never make it to my current shop just because of the space it needs. I do not have it. And I do not need it since I have a track saw.

This may be obvious but it seems the people who argue against track saws mainly, if not totally, don't have one and have probably never used one. I used my home made guides for a circular saw for at least one decade but it is just not the same. You have to push the circular saw against the guide, the track saw cannot wander off the guide rib of the rail. I also never got as good of a cut, regardless of the blade I used with my circular saw. My guess is the bearings may be better in the track saw. Dust collection is normally present in track saws and not present in circular saws. Track saws are precision tools, circular saws are not.

My foam board is the size of my outfeed/work table, 3 foot by 7 feet. It sits on edge behind the work table except when I am using the track saw. Takes up very little space. I have also used scraps on the work table but i think the foam works better. You could even throw the foam on top of your table saw if you stow the rip fence. I do not like to cut on the floor. My old body doesn't like going up and down very much.

Charles Lent
11-24-2019, 10:32 AM
The one and only time that I had Home Depot break up a sheet of 3/4 birch plywood, they cut it with their panel saw by feeding the blade so fast that there were 2" splinters on each side of the cut. When I complained, they told me that it was the best that they could do. I ended up trashing most of the sheet because it was unusable for my project. Ever since then I have brought whole sheets home and broken them up myself. I can do it without any splintering, using the right blade, a zero clearance saw foot, and slower feed. I also don't buy any sheet stock from Home Depot or Lowes any more. I've found sources that sell much better plywood at only slightly higher prices.

Charley

Brian Holcombe
11-24-2019, 12:18 PM
I’ll vote for a bigger tablesaw.

Rich Aldrich
11-25-2019, 5:15 PM
I bought an EZ smart track saw system and a Makita 5007 mga. Then I built a cutting table with strips of plywood standing on edge. I can easily handle sheet goods alone with this system where I struggled with a table saw. Accuracy is greatly increased as far as squareness.

I still use the table saw for ripping.

Dan Rude
11-27-2019, 1:31 AM
I am similar to Rich, I have the TrueTrac system I picked up at the last woodworking show in MN 2016. I was ready to pull the trigger on the Black Friday Kreg Track Saw system this month, but saw TrueTrac has a dust extraction system now. So I ordered it and the Squaring Jig and will try it out. It was about a $200 Cheaper than the Kreg System at $399. I did already have the 8' version I use with my M18 fuel. Dan

Alan Lightstone
11-27-2019, 8:23 AM
OK. I qualify in the all of the above category. I owned a 52" SawStop table saw, and downsized it to a 36" saw when I moved to a bigger shop. Despite having the large table saw, I bought a Festool tracksaw and used it mostly for sheet goods.

When I moved to the new shop, I bought a panel saw, which is much more convenient for sheet goods, but takes up a huge amount of shop space. and downsized to the smaller SawStop.

With a very bad back and neck, moving large sheets to a table saw is a total non starter for me. I can wheel sheets to the panel saw without lifting them.

Owning all three, I find the combination of panel saw and smaller table saw the best.

If I didn't have the room, I'd go for the smaller table saw (36") and the track saw (bigger size is better here, IMHO. If Festool, I would go for the TS75, and cordless would be more convenient.) I would opt for that combo and you'll recoup a decent amount of shop space.

Alan Lightstone
11-27-2019, 8:27 AM
The one and only time that I had Home Depot break up a sheet of 3/4 birch plywood, they cut it with their panel saw by feeding the blade so fast that there were 2" splinters on each side of the cut. When I complained, they told me that it was the best that they could do. I ended up trashing most of the sheet because it was unusable for my project. Ever since then I have brought whole sheets home and broken them up myself. I can do it without any splintering, using the right blade, a zero clearance saw foot, and slower feed. I also don't buy any sheet stock from Home Depot or Lowes any more. I've found sources that sell much better plywood at only slightly higher prices.

Charley

I have found that the panel saws in HD and Lowes are broken easily more than half of the time. Not sure how they accomplish that, but I'm always amazed that they are frequently broken.

Mike Hollingsworth
11-27-2019, 2:05 PM
My shop Real Estate is worth much more than 16 inches of table saw that I will rarely use.
Another Vote for Track Saw.