PDA

View Full Version : Another New to Me Post - It's a Lathe

Lisa Starr
11-10-2019, 11:38 AM
Well here it is. An old Power King/Craftsman Lathe that was given to me in pieces. I have de-rusted everything (Thank you EvapoRust), built a stand that I still need to finish, and made a missing Tool Rest Clamp. It has a 10" swing and 36" between centers. I've never had a lathe, and don't know if I'll enjoy turning, but since it was free, I figure it was worth the effort. If I do much with it, I expect it would be spindles/legs for other projects.

Eric Danstrom
11-10-2019, 11:59 AM
....I've never had a lathe, and don't know if I'll enjoy turning, but since it was free, I figure it was worth the effort. If I do much with it, I expect it would be spindles/legs for other projects.
I predict you're going to love it. About 30% of my woodworking is on my lathe. Always a great asset in your kit of skills! Oh, and it takes new tools of which there's lots of used out there. Who needs expensive M2/PM when HSS is plentiful on the used market at fire-sale prices!

Steve Mathews
11-10-2019, 12:03 PM
Congrats on the lathe restoration. Once you get into lathe work I think you'll be surprised with all of the cool stuff you can make with it - bowls, tool handles, finials, etc. It also makes for a good wood buffing platform with the Beall system. A lot of woodworkers that try their hands at the craft end up doing nothing but. There are tons of online howto videos. You may want to first look into a decent workholding chuck. It's hard to tell from your pic what you have many of the lathes back in the day didn't benefit from what is available today. Enjoy!